Jon Fitch says Usman isn't on GSP's level and wouldn't have had a chance against him.

Hendricks and Fitch were past their prime, obviously, and Shields was dealing with the death of his father who just passed away 2 weeks before that fight. He got caught by a guy with huge KO power. It happens.

Rory dominated Woodley, and a past prime Jake Shields won the decision against Woodley, but don't let that change your make believe narrative.

guys in early 30s = past their prime... k

i guess i can do exactly the same thing as you and say woodley wasn't in his prime yet...

also that same woodley finished gsp top wins koscheck and condit.

now hes on a 4 fight losing streak

I agree with very little of what he said.

This stuff is laughable:
-Claims Usman is a a good fighter but that the division is not as deep as it was in the late 2000s/early 2010s due to other promotions paying well for WW talent nowadays which wasn't the case in the past.
- He's Not sure if Colby would crack the top 10 at WW during his era.

Lol @ the selectiveness. Maia is a 43 year old 20 year veteran, what the fuck would him beating Fitch (5 years after GSP did btw) have to do with "evolution"? you also forgot to mention that Shields beat Maia and a prime Woodley, as well as friggin Hendo.

Can you explain to me where the evolution is in Usman or Colbys skillset? they're both essentially wrestlers with rudimentary striking skills. What abot Jorge? why is someone who was in Strikeforce and Shark Fights losing to guys like Semtex during GSPs era now a top 5 ranked title challenger at 36 years old?

2 split decisions and hendo was injured going into the fight and gassed himself trying to finish shields early in the fight.

colby/usman mma striking is light years ahead compared to wrestlers gsp was facing. they throw more volume and transition much better between striking and grappling.

and i guess fighters dont get better over the years and they stay exactly the same from beginning until the end. thats why jorge, who was losing many fights against top opponents early in his career, (many sd btw) couldn't get better later on.

the same then could be said for someone like robert whittaker. he was losing to guys like suarez and court mcgee and then became champ at mw. that can only mean suarez and court mcgree > all the mw whittaker beat.

Hendricks and Fitch were past their prime, obviously, and Shields was dealing with the death of his father who just passed away 2 weeks before that fight. He got caught by a guy with huge KO power. It happens.

Rory dominated Woodley, and a past prime Jake Shields won the decision against Woodley, but don't let that change your make believe narrative.

Keep in mind you are discussing with this guy, just in case you were taking him serious:

mike perry would be one of the most complete fighters in 2010.

<{you!}>

Prime v Prime, let’s say GSP circa Kos 2, vs Usman circa Burns.. it’s a virtually impossible fight to call.

Wrestling wise, Usman probably has better takedowns and is more likely to pull out a td having clinched for extended periods; whereas Georges disguises and sets up his takedowns better, so it’s likely both can find themselves on their back once or twice for at least a brief period during a five round fight.

Usman is arguably better and faster to pop back up having been taken down, Georges is more likely to accept the takedown.
Georges is undoubtedly the more dangerous from his back with submissions, but it’s difficult to see this fight ending with a submission from guard.

Georges definitely has better submissions and is more likely to finish a sub having attempted it, including the rnc and guillotines.
Usman has marginally better pressure and control once in top position, but this is close as Georges also has insane pressure and control and can transition to subs and is generally more active from top position, whereas Usman will just ride his opponents once on top with little intent on pouncing on a sub.

When pressured Usman is more likely to give up his back and make a break back to standing, whereas Georges will not give up his back and will play guard to an extent or use guard to try to stand up. Neither is better in this department, it just means Usman is less likely to spend any time on his back but is more at risk of having his back taken during a scramble.

Striking Georges has an advantage but not by much.
Georges has more weapons, but this is not to say he will be able to pick Usman apart, as they both have incredibly good jabs and find range impeccably with them.

St Pierre is probably going to have a slight reach advantage and be better at utilising that reach.

Georges is probably more accurate with follow up strikes and has an extensive catalogue which he ustilises brilliantly. Usman would probably be favoured to have the better of the exchanges in the pocket, as he generates more power with his hooks and uppercuts than Georges does and possesses the better punch resistance, however this fight would probably not take place in close range other than the clinch or grappling elements.

Overall it’s pretty much a pick em fight at this point.
Usman definitely needs to do more to overtake Georges in terms of all time greatness, however due to their styles and paths to victory being quite similar, a head to head is a 50/50

I'm a huge fan of Jon Fitch. Even though it's true that the vast majority of users on Sherdog called him "boring" and "The Smoke Break," I still had fun with his wars.

Jon Fitch, thank you for entertaining me with the wars that you put on TV.
Very underappreciated fighter -- arguably a top 5 welterweight in the sport, definitely top 10. I don't quite agree with him on some of these points, but it's nice to hear his thoughts.

I was never a GSP fan, but honestly I agree with Fitch on GSP vs. Usman. Where does Usman win that fight? GSP is miles ahead of him in the striking department and is one of the best overall MMA wrestlers of all-time. GSP shuts that lead eye touching him with teh jab like Koscheck.

Keep in mind you are discussing with this guy, just in case you were taking him serious:

<{you!}>

says the dork whos still not over getting destroyed in his own thread...

how long its been? over a year?

and you still didnt move on with your life?

Prime v Prime, let’s say GSP circa Kos 2, vs Usman circa Burns.. it’s a virtually impossible fight to call.

Wrestling wise, Usman probably has better takedowns and is more likely to pull out a td having clinched for extended periods; whereas Georges disguises and sets up his takedowns better, so it’s likely both can find themselves on their back once or twice for at least a brief period during a five round fight.

Usman is arguably better and faster to pop back up having been takedown, Georges is more likely to accept the takedown.
Georges is undoubtedly the more dangerous from his back with submissions, but it’s difficult to see this fight ending with a submission from guard.

Georges definitely has better submissions and is more likely to finish a sub having attempted it. Usman has better pressure and control once in top position, but this is close as Georges also has insane pressure and control and can transition to subs whereas Usman will just ride his opponents once on top.

When pressured Usman is more likely to give up his back and make a break back to standing, whereas Georges will not give up his back and will play guard to an extent or use guard to try to stand up.

Striking Georges has an advantage but not by much.
Georges has more weapons, but this is not to say he will be able to pick Usman apart, as they both have incredibly good jabs and find range impeccably with them.

St Pierre is probably going to have a slight reach advantage and be better at utilising that reach.

Georges is probably more accurate with follow up strikes and has an extensive catalogue which he ustilises brilliantly. Usman would probably be favoured to have the better of the exchanges in the pocket, as he generates more power with his hooks and uppercuts than Georges does and possesses the better punch resistance, however this fight would probably not take place in close range other than the clinch or grappling elements.

Overall it’s pretty much a pick em fight at this point.
Usman definitely needs to do more to overtake Georges in terms of all time greatness, however due to their styles and paths to victory being quite similar, a head to head is a 50/50
Very well put -- I think I agree with every point.

Lol @ the selectiveness. Maia is a 43 year old 20 year veteran, what the fuck would him beating Fitch (5 years after GSP did btw) have to do with "evolution"? you also forgot to mention that Shields beat Maia and a prime Woodley, as well as friggin Hendo.

Can you explain to me where the evolution is in Usman or Colbys skillset? they're both essentially wrestlers with rudimentary striking skills. What abot Jorge? why is someone who was in Strikeforce and Shark Fights losing to guys like Semtex during GSPs era now a top 5 ranked title challenger at 36 years old?

Keep in mind you are discussing with this guy, just in case you were taking him seriously:

mike perry would be one of the most complete fighters in 2010.

<{you!}>

says the dork whos still not over getting destroyed in his own thread...

how long its been? over a year?

and you still didnt move on with your life?
Why so mad? :eek::eek:

Probably due to deep embarrassment. It's normal. Don't blame me though

Is it really that much of a knock on Fitch when of all the elite WWs across eras he's probably the worst athlete. I can't think of many top 5 or 10 WWs worst than him in that regard. Even on the juice he isn't blowing anyone's doors off lol.

Yeah, and probably the biggest knock on GSP's resume (it's overall still a small one) is that he never really faced a physical powerhouse who can match him until Hendricks.
Hughes was notoriously strong

like jon fitch, but his youtube is only averaging 200 views. someone help this brotha out.

I was never a GSP fan, but honestly I agree with Fitch on GSP vs. Usman. Where does Usman win that fight? GSP is miles ahead of him in the striking department and is one of the best overall MMA wrestlers of all-time. GSP shuts that lead eye touching him with teh jab like Koscheck.
Why do you say "miles ahead"? Based on what? Definitely not in GSP's fights with Hendricks, let alone Serra

We have not seen Usman in so much trouble in the feet so again, why "miles ahead"?

Why so mad? :eek::eek:

Probably due to deep embarrassment. It's normal. Don't blame me though

youre the one with some grudge from like a year ago....

the only embarrassing thing is not getting over and repeating the same thing over and over

talking about rent free

Condit came to the UFC in 2009. Shields in 2010. Daley had the Kos fight and the exit in 2010. Nick came back to the UFC in 2011, first fight was against Penn. That brief period made for a strong WW div around 2010, while before that the div lacked depth in the UFC and had top fighters scattered in other promotions. More so than now. I believe this is the period Fitch talks about. It was a great period for UFC WW, I agree.

Back