Jon Fitch says Usman isn't on GSP's level and wouldn't have had a chance against him.

Thinking Usman or hell, Covington has "no chance" against GSP is laughable to me. What does Fitch think happened between GSP and Johnny Hendricks?
That version of Hendricks is the best fighter we've ever seen at WW. He stuffs Colby and usmans shit in, you can't convince me otherwise

Kos only ever had one title shot. Hardy was because he cleared out the division.

I guess when you beat THE Rory Markham and have a split decision with Marcus Davis, there are no more worlds left to conquer

That version of Hendricks is the best fighter we've ever seen at WW. He stuffs Colby and usmans shit in, you can't convince me otherwise

Calm down, he barely beat Josh Kos

I guess when you beat THE Rory Markham and have a split decision with Marcus Davis, there are no more worlds left to conquer
This is supposed to be a response to what I said lmao? He got it for beating swick, and there was nobody else at the time. Kinda telling that you felt the need to leave hardy's best win out of the conversation.

It's Dan Hardy, you don't gotta lie to make it seem even less impressive.

I didn't think I needed to spell out that I was referring to gsp when I said he had cleared the division.

Agree that GSP is better than Usman, but saying Colby wouldn’t be top 10 in his day? Well that’s just laughable.

This is supposed to be a response to what I said lmao? He got it for beating swick, and there was nobody else at the time. Kinda telling that you felt the need to leave hardy's best win out of the conversation.

It's Dan Hardy, you don't gotta lie to make it seem even less impressive.

I honestly don't know what you're arguing anymore. I'll say it clear of any sarcasm: Dan Hardy was the weakest challenger in a long, long time. Usman would absolutely beat the fuck out of him and so would Luque, Colby, Robbie, etc. Swick at WW is worse than Dan Hardy, but not by a lot. Fitch is overrated by people that didn't watch him fight.

Sherdoggers are constantly criticizing fighters striking/grappling technique....bet Fitch beats 99% of Sherdoggers in a striking only contest.
Anything with amazing cardio and a chin would. Their technique could be awful. You’re not saying much.

Stumbled across this episode on Jon's youtube channel (underrated channel btw) and he seems to be keeping it real regarding the comparisons between GSP and and Usman and states what most mma fans believe.
Some cliffs:
- Says Khabib is one of the best p4p grapplers in mma history but considers GSP the overall GOAT in mma on paper. Considers it very impressive GSP moved up and won 2 belts.
- He says Usman isn't on GSP's level and think Usman wouldn't have had a chance against him.
- He says prime Woodley is also not a GSP caliber fighter
- Claims Usman is a a good fighter but that the division is not as deep as it was in the late 2000s/early 2010s due to other promotions paying well for WW talent nowadays which wasn't the case in the past. Agrees Usman's biggest weakness is his striking and considers him kind of stiff.
- He's Not sure if Colby would crack the top 10 at WW during his era. Same for Masvidal even though he's a fan of Masvidal and likes him.
-Says Colby should try just wrestling in the rematch with Usman.
- Says he think there is a bigger focus on athleticism nowadays than skill
- Says a lot of the early lesser known names on GSP's record were studs and probably top-20 talent nowadays at least.
- Looking forward to the Bellator LHW tournament very much
-Says he grappled Khabib when Khabib was 195 and Fitch was 205 and says Khabib is super strong and big and wouldn't have an issue fighting at 170.
-Thinks weight divisions per every 10lbs is ideal.
Conversation starts around the 5 minute mark

Meh.
Propping GSP is propping himself, since he was at the top while GSP was king.
I take it with a grain of salt, the same way I take when someone from the same Gym props his friend/trainer partner.... (i.e. when DC spoke about Khabib ....or Luke ...or Cain)...

Meh.
Propping GSP is propping himself, since he was at the top while GSP was king.
I take it with a grain of salt, the same way I take when someone from the same Gym props his friend/trainer partner.... (i.e. when DC spoke about Khabib ....or Luke ...or Cain)...

Could be or maybe not. Plenty of guys like Thiago Alves tried to avoid speaking about how good GSP was after losing to him. Probably depends on whether there’s animosity and/or jealousy or not.

Perhaps Fitch is just telling the truth. He seems like a straight shooter

Could be or maybe not. Plenty of guys like Thiago Alves tried to avoid speaking about how good GSP was after losing to him. Probably depends on whether there’s animosity and/or jealousy or not.

Perhaps Fitch is just telling the truth. He seems like a straight shooter

Maybe, but he also shoots lot of delusional statements on so many different topics. If he fakes or is just delusion Im not sure.
Obviously, saying guys as Colbi, Usman or Masvidal would not be top contenders a decade ago is not being real. GSP doesnt agree on that btw.

I honestly don't know what you're arguing anymore. I'll say it clear of any sarcasm: Dan Hardy was the weakest challenger in a long, long time. Usman would absolutely beat the fuck out of him and so would Luque, Colby, Robbie, etc. Swick at WW is worse than Dan Hardy, but not by a lot. Fitch is overrated by people that didn't watch him fight.
Well I think you'd find even the most diehard gsp fan would say Hardy is his weakest challenger. But Hardy only got the shot because gsp had beaten everyone.

You don't have to omit hardy's biggest win to make him look even worse.

you do realize he fought maia... whos same age as him?

Maia is actually older, but Maia didn't start fighting as a full time fighter until 2006 (and really only 2007 when he got into the UFC)

Fitch started years before that and had 10 more fights (vs better competition at that) at the time of the fight.

He's also much less skilled as a wrestler than Maia is as a BJJ artist, meaning his fights tended to be more gritty and closer, with him taking some damage along the way.

Damien (and obviously this speaks to how good he is) was barely touched 10 or 11 fights into his career. The first time he was ever even hit with a real good punch that I can recall, he got KO'd vs Nate Marquardt.

LOL This forum is hilarious.

"Prime" Hendricks generally struggled with other wrestlers. He lost to Rick Story, and eeked out split decisions against Mike Pierce and shopworn Koscheck.

He always had mediocre cardio for an elite level fighter and would get drowned by the likes of Colby and Usman in the later rounds.

The only athletic edge I'd give to GSP is speed in bursts. Otherwise, Usman is more durable, stronger and better cardio and pace fighter.
Skills are more important than atletic ability. George's skills are definitely better. Usman uses his physical advantages as his skills. In today's UFC Georges in his prime fights at lightweight so we would probably never see the fight.

Skills are more important than atletic ability. George's skills are definitely better. Usman uses his physical advantages as his skills. In today's UFC Georges in his prime fights at lightweight so we would probably never see the fight.
You need both to be champion. But the main difference between elite and non elite fighters is usually athleticism. It just offers too much of a cheat code in the sport.

Back