Jon Fitch says Usman isn't on GSP's level and wouldn't have had a chance against him.

Kertol

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Stumbled across this episode on Jon's youtube channel (underrated channel btw) and he seems to be keeping it real regarding the comparisons between GSP and and Usman and states what most mma fans believe.
Some cliffs:
- Says Khabib is one of the best p4p grapplers in mma history but considers GSP the overall GOAT in mma on paper. Considers it very impressive GSP moved up and won 2 belts.
- He says Usman isn't on GSP's level and think Usman wouldn't have had a chance against him.
- He says prime Woodley is also not a GSP caliber fighter
- Claims Usman is a a good fighter but that the division is not as deep as it was in the late 2000s/early 2010s due to other promotions paying well for WW talent nowadays which wasn't the case in the past. Agrees Usman's biggest weakness is his striking and considers him kind of stiff.
- He's Not sure if Colby would crack the top 10 at WW during his era. Same for Masvidal even though he's a fan of Masvidal and likes him.
-Says Colby should try just wrestling in the rematch with Usman.
- Says he think there is a bigger focus on athleticism nowadays than skill
- Says a lot of the early lesser known names on GSP's record were studs and probably top-20 talent nowadays at least.
- Looking forward to the Bellator LHW tournament very much
-Says he grappled Khabib when Khabib was 195 and Fitch was 205 and says Khabib is super strong and big and wouldn't have an issue fighting at 170.
-Thinks weight divisions per every 10lbs is ideal.
Conversation starts around the 5 minute mark

tenor.gif

I'm a huge fan of Jon Fitch. Even though it's true that the vast majority of users on Sherdog called him "boring" and "The Smoke Break," I still had fun with his wars.

Jon Fitch, thank you for entertaining me with the wars that you put on TV.

I think there's a recency-bias with the newer fans where they believe whoever is the best now would have been the best 10-15 years ago as well. You add in that with newer fans seeing fighters in their later years struggling when on the decline and they have a perception that the fighter just isn't as good as people thought they were.

Well Fitch was the 2nd best for a really long time until he met GSP and Hendricks

Well yeah that's pretty obvious

Colby would have pushed Fitches shit in but I agree that Marty Fakenewsman had nothing for GSP.

Fitch is correct, Usman is not on GSP's level and there is far too much emphasis on athleticism over skill these days.

Not surprising to hear Fitch is looking forward to the Bellator LHW GP. Should be great.

Stumbled across this episode on Jon's youtube channel (underrated channel btw) and he seems to be keeping it real regarding the comparisons between GSP and and Usman and states what most mma fans believe.
Some cliffs:
- Says Khabib is one of the best p4p grapplers in mma history but considers GSP the overall GOAT in mma on paper. Considers it very impressive GSP moved up and won 2 belts.
- He says Usman isn't on GSP's level and think Usman wouldn't have had a chance against him.
- He says prime Woodley is also not a GSP caliber fighter
- Claims Usman is a a good fighter but that the division is not as deep as it was in the late 2000s/early 2010s due to other promotions paying well for WW talent nowadays which wasn't the case in the past. Agrees Usman's biggest weakness is his striking and considers him kind of stiff.
- He's Not sure if Colby would crack the top 10 at WW during his era. Same for Masvidal even though he's a fan of Masvidal and likes him.
-Says Colby should try just wrestling in the rematch with Usman.
- Says he think there is a bigger focus on athleticism nowadays than skill
- Says a lot of the early lesser known names on GSP's record were studs and probably top-20 talent nowadays at least.
- Looking forward to the Bellator LHW tournament very much
-Says he grappled Khabib when Khabib was 195 and Fitch was 205 and says Khabib is super strong and big and wouldn't have
an issue fighting at 170.
-Thinks weight divisions per every 10lbs is ideal.
Conversation starts around the 5 minute mark

I think Jon Fitch is pretty biased here.

GSP beats Usman. I don't know how Kos vs Usman would go. I think Hendricks beats Usman. I'm not sure how Rory vs Usman would go but def competitive. But I know that Colby and Usman would def be in top 10 back in GSP's era without a doubt. I think Top 5. Kos and Hendricks would pose serious problems to Colby, not sure if Colby beat those two. I don't think he would. Usman is tougher one, but I think Hendricks beat Usman.

I think Top 5 would be something like

GSP
Hendricks/Usman/Kos/Rory/Colby

Masvidal is a journeyman so obviously he wouldn't. It's a miracle he's in top 10 right now.

yeah, I mean it's gsp.

Usman has a lot of power though. A surprising amount of power in his strikes and he's extremely effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back