Jon Fitch says Usman isn't on GSP's level and wouldn't have had a chance against him.

You are way overrating Kos. Its a mistake a lot of people make but he was not a top of all time welterweight. He was a very good fighter but an extremely limited striker.

Theres no way Kos should be ahead of Wonderboy in any ranking. He doesnt have the skill or the resume.

He does and the resume.

Looking thru GSPs resume and notice that he’s never fought a black guy aside from Koscheck who’s maybe black. I guess there weren’t many at the time besides Paul Daley

Fitch has a more educated opinion than sherdoggers, that's for sure

Well Fitch was the 2nd best for a really long time until he met GSP and Hendricks

Not really. He was a perenially top ranked WW for sure but how was he 2nd for such a long time if barely ever beat a top3 guy in his division?

Stumbled across this episode on Jon's youtube channel (underrated channel btw) and he seems to be keeping it real regarding the comparisons between GSP and and Usman and states what most mma fans believe.
Some cliffs:
- Says Khabib is one of the best p4p grapplers in mma history but considers GSP the overall GOAT in mma on paper. Considers it very impressive GSP moved up and won 2 belts.
- He says Usman isn't on GSP's level and think Usman wouldn't have had a chance against him.
- He says prime Woodley is also not a GSP caliber fighter
- Claims Usman is a a good fighter but that the division is not as deep as it was in the late 2000s/early 2010s due to other promotions paying well for WW talent nowadays which wasn't the case in the past. Agrees Usman's biggest weakness is his striking and considers him kind of stiff.
- He's Not sure if Colby would crack the top 10 at WW during his era. Same for Masvidal even though he's a fan of Masvidal and likes him.
-Says Colby should try just wrestling in the rematch with Usman.
- Says he think there is a bigger focus on athleticism nowadays than skill
- Says a lot of the early lesser known names on GSP's record were studs and probably top-20 talent nowadays at least.
- Looking forward to the Bellator LHW tournament very much
-Says he grappled Khabib when Khabib was 195 and Fitch was 205 and says Khabib is super strong and big and wouldn't have an issue fighting at 170.
-Thinks weight divisions per every 10lbs is ideal.
Conversation starts around the 5 minute mark

If WW was such a shark tank and 185 was soo weak as Fitch says...why didnt more of those WWs tried a run for the tittle in the allegedly "much weaker" MW division?

Funny than at the same time he considers the GOAT WW defeating a one eyed Bisping such a huge feat. Well guess what, Bisping with two functional eyes wasnt capable of even getting a tittle shot in that "weak" 185lbs division.

You made a statement not a question, didn't you?

I made a remark about Fitch critiquing Usman's striking technique as stiff and weak. I found this to be to be very amusing as Jon's primary weakness during his run was his poor standup, so it rather strikes me (no pun intended) as the pot calling the kettle black.

In typical Shertard fashion however, you saw this and decided the most worthwhile contribution to the discussion was "jOn coUlD tOtaLlY bEaT yOu Up!1" as if that were ever ever an issue that was in doubt. He's a professional fucking fighter. It's the the comparison between him and Usman that's in question, not him and the average Sherdogger that you invented.

Lol prime fitch got outwrestled by Maia. Usman would've run through him with ease.

Did Usman outwrestle Maia or tried not to get on the ground with Maia?

Looking thru GSPs resume and notice that he’s never fought a black guy aside from Koscheck who’s maybe black. I guess there weren’t many at the time besides Paul Daley
GSP vs a legitimit black person.

Fitch is almost right on the timeline which is paramount. 17' - 18' is where UFC s heavier divisions ( 70 & up) started to thin out and mma crossed backwards the 180 threshold. Usman has evolved a great deal but a guy like masvidal getting 2 shots at UFC gold speaks volumes. Maz a very good fighter but no .... NO.
That said ,
Prime gsp> prime Usman but not as lopsided as Fitch makes it.
I'll also say ( for all who think I'm a gsp hater) that gsp would get whooped by khabib at 155 or a catch today but could come to UFC 170 TODAY and hold a top 5-7 ranking.

Unfortunately, Fitch just doing himself nice about the " studs" back then.

He makes some good points based on your cliffs. Though I have to disagree about Usman. I do think GSP is better and he would beat Usman, but to say Usman would have no chance is just wrong.
right? saying no chance is ridiculous. He's letting nostalgia get to his head

Usman wins, change my mind.
(We haven't even seen Usman reach his prime)

Fitch showed incredible heart when he fought Gsp , 25 minutes taking a savage beating, most guy would have packed it in

I think Jon Fitch is pretty biased here.

GSP beats Usman. I don't know how Kos vs Usman would go. I think Hendricks beats Usman. I'm not sure how Rory vs Usman would go but def competitive. But I know that Colby and Usman would def be in top 10 back in GSP's era without a doubt. I think Top 5. Kos and Hendricks would pose serious problems to Colby, not sure if Colby beat those two. I don't think he would. Usman is tougher one, but I think Hendricks beat Usman.

I think Top 5 would be something like

GSP
Hendricks/Usman/Kos/Rory/Colby

Masvidal is a journeyman so obviously he wouldn't. It's a miracle he's in top 10 right now.
By definition Masvidal is not a Journeyman

Back