Jon Fitch says Usman isn't on GSP's level and wouldn't have had a chance against him.

Usman would have a chance but this idea that he and the rest of this current WW division is "evolved" compared to the one GSP dominated is preposterous. Fitch, Hendricks and Shields are arguably better than anyone Usman has faced.

yeah, I mean it's gsp.

Usman has a lot of power though. A surprising amount of power in his strikes and he's extremely effective.

The power thing is important to this debate IMO and often overlooked. Probably not as overall skilled as a striker as GSP, but I think it's safe to say he's more powerful.

The power thing is important to this debate IMO and often overlooked. Probably not as overall skilled as a striker as GSP, but I think it's safe to say he's more powerful.
it's scary how much power he generates. GSP with that much power could have challenged Fedor and probably won.

In all Fairness he MAY be right.

but of course he’s going to say that Welterweight was better back when he was fighting.

He makes some good points based on your cliffs. Though I have to disagree about Usman. I do think GSP is better and he would beat Usman, but to say Usman would have no chance is just wrong.

tell me what usman could do

PED using Fitch. Yeah I care what he says.
Is it really that much of a knock on Fitch when of all the elite WWs across eras he's probably the worst athlete. I can't think of many top 5 or 10 WWs worst than him in that regard. Even on the juice he isn't blowing anyone's doors off lol.
Yeah, and probably the biggest knock on GSP's resume (it's overall still a small one) is that he never really faced a physical powerhouse who can match him until Hendricks.

Prime GSP is the strong favorite, but to say Usman doesn't have a legit chance is ridiculous. If Prime GSP can get TKO'ed by Serra, Usman has a legit chance of winning.

Good points, even though I don't totally agree with Fitch. But there were some very good fighters in that era. Throw in Palhares, Lombard (who briefly fought at WW and looked much better than he did at MW) and Maia (was a beast when he first moved to WW) and it was a dangerous mix of talent. I still see people saying Askren might have been the 2nd best WW if he came to UFC in his "prime" Bellator years, but he barely beat Jay Hieron. I see lots of guys beating him in the UFC circa 2009-2013.

Usman would have a chance but this idea that he and the rest of this current WW division is "evolved" compared to the one GSP dominated is preposterous. Fitch, Hendricks and Shields are arguably better than anyone Usman has faced.

I'm not sure if they're better than Colby, who has endless cardio and never lets up whether grappling or striking. Granted his striking isn't very technical, but none of those guys had his work rate. Then again, Hendricks may finish him just like Usman did. Those would be interesting fights.

He lost all credibility saying the division isn't as deep as back then. Usman beating way tougher comp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back