Joe Rogan: The UFC is going to have to add more weight classes eventually

only reasonable weight classes to make would be womens 125, and like joe said a 195 or maybe a 225 pound weightclass might work

Tbh, I don't want anymore.

There's no point. 125 is already a big enough flop. adding anything below that is a waste of time.

Maybe they could add a 195 weight, but only if LHW(already one of, if not the smallest division I believe) and MW become so full of quality fighters that they have too, don't want to see either weight class lose talent to move to 195.

If we can take an example from boxing this is a horrendous idea. Does anyone know the middle cruiser weight champion of the IBC?

I've always been a Rogan fan, but he's going full retard lately.

People will bitch about too much weight cutting in MMA, and yet in the same breath say no more weight classes.

The purpose of weight cutting is to get an advantage over your opponent. More weight classes does nothing to affect weight cutting at all.

Ok, here we go
Strawweight (115 pounds) in the UFC is posible, for catch the central America market and Asia, ONE have already a champion (should be fighting in the Askren/Santos 2 card), the UFC should wait a little bit more and start to put SW fight in the farms to pick up the best fighters and the more marketable...+ some flyweights more....

And make a Cruiserweight division, between LHW and HW, 225 pounds is ok, the difference between LHW and HW is huge, there are some fighters that make weigh cut for HW

Add flyweight to bantam to thicken BW division.

Raise the cap on HW significantly, add cruiserweight.

Open weight fights sound awesome as well but so far from possible.

We have enough as it is, and sometimes I feel that's too many. No more damn weight classes!

Again -

Weight classes exist to keep better fighters from pummeling worse fighters, not to simply keep bigger guys away from smaller guys. Guys who are 155 lbs are at a big disadvantage to guys who are 170 lbs. But guys who can cut to 225 lbs walk around at 240ish lbs. And history has shown that guys who weigh ~240 lbs are at no disadvantage to guys who weigh ~270 lbs. Throughout the history of MMA, the top dogs have pretty much always weighed 230-245 lbs. If they want to, any one of them could easy fight at this stupid 'Cruiser Weight' division. Let's say Cain gets beat down by Werdum again. He could easily dehydrate for a day or two and cut to 225lbs to try to win that belt, simply because he can't defeat Werdum. If Werdum wants to, he could cut to 225 with little to no effort.

The only thing that makes sense is to lobby to get rid of the 265 lbs weight limit. It would be good to see a couple more monsters (think Lesnar pre-injury, Semmy Schilt if he went the MMA route) in the mix. And once again, time has shown, these monsters do not have a real advantage over guys who are ~240lbs.

The 225lbs idea is fucking stupid.

There is no reason to immediately conclude we need more classes if we get more good fighters.
There is no reason to think that they wouldn't add more weight classes if MMA continues to grow.

I wouldn't mind them splitting up HW a bit.

That is so stupid. The HW division is dried up as is. The best HWs are usually the smaller or mid size fighters anyways. The last big HW to be champion was Lesnar and he was okay. Before him as Sylvia.

Notice how both of them were not the greatest fighters?

There is no reason to think that they wouldn't add more weight classes if MMA continues to grow.

Firstly, why didn't you actually respond to the content of gtm3's post? You said "of course they will have to add weight classes if MMA continues to grow", without specifying why they'd have to. Gtm3 extrapolated from your vague post, that you were suggesting the addition of more fighters would require more weight classes, and that he disagreed with that point. So, can you explain your reasoning? Why can't it be that more fighters = deeper weight classes, rather than more fighters = more weight classes?

Secondly, the post I quoted doesn't respond to anything Gtm3 said. It's also nonsense: Why is there "no reason" to think they wouldn't add more weight classes if MMA continues to grow? Have Dana or Lorenzo or the athletic commissions made it clear that "there must be new weight classes as the sport grows"? That doesn't sound like something they've ever been adamant about doing. Am I missing something?

That is so stupid. The HW division is dried up as is. The best HWs are usually the smaller or mid size fighters anyways. The last big HW to be champion was Lesnar and he was okay. Before him as Sylvia.

Notice how both of them were not the greatest fighters?

I was thinking 93-100-kilos then 100kilos + with no weight limit. But you're right about there not being enough talent to make it happen. I just think it might be an interesting change.

Firstly, why didn't you actually respond to the content of gtm3's post? You said "of course they will have to add weight classes if MMA continues to grow", without specifying why they'd have to. Gtm3 extrapolated from your vague post, that you were suggesting the addition of more fighters would require more weight classes, and that he disagreed with that point. So, can you explain your reasoning? Why can't it be that more fighters = deeper weight classes, rather than more fighters = more weight classes?

Secondly, the post I quoted doesn't respond to anything Gtm3 said. It's also nonsense: Why is there "no reason" to think they wouldn't add more weight classes if MMA continues to grow? Have Dana or Lorenzo or the athletic commissions made it clear that "there must be new weight classes as the sport grows"? That doesn't sound like something they've ever been adamant about doing. Am I missing something?

People here are so thick.

Still waiting for a legit reasoning why all these dummies want a cruiser weight division. Who fucking cares if HW goes from 205 to 265? It should be unlimited. If you have been watching MMA for any of the last 15 years you would know that the guys at 260 lbs are not going around beating up the guys at 235 lbs FFS.

I'd be all for the following
A 165 lb junior ww class
A 195 lb cruiserweight class
Move lhw cap to 215
And a women's 125 meisha weight class

Only if it's super heavyweight weight. Or better yet, don't have a limit on HW.

Why do so many people support adding a weight class? That seems so stupid to me.

The only realistic change I could see being a positive is removing the HW cap. A heavyweight fighter is any weight on the planet, if you are good enough, you should be able to fight. Not a SHW (Super HW) division, just removing the 265-pound cap at HW. You'd still have LHW for decent sized guys but not huge, 270 pound monsters.

As another poster pointed out, I could conceivably see adjusting LHW if you remove the HW cap by allowing LHW to go from 187-225, I know that's 40 pounds between weight classes compared to the gap between 125-135-145-155-170-185, but most elite LHW's weight near 225 pounds on fight nights regardless, this will just allow them (and smaller HWs) to not cut as much weight and the added strain on their bodies.

The only downside to that is you could possibly see more people try and cut more weight to get to 185, but its not like 185 (until recently) has been a super-competitive shark tank like LW has been for years and LHW was for about a decade.

Last edited:
If anything less, maybe align the divisions to wrestling at the olympics.

Anything in the area of lightweight and welterweight makes a ton of sense. The UFC roster has too many lightweights and welterweights.

That's true, but then I can see someone coming along and capturing both belts if the weights are too similar. GSP could have been champion at 177-lbs and 170-lbs in his prime. Other than that, separating 155 and 170-lbs seems like a good idea. I also wouldn't mind seeing 105, 125, and 145-lbs divisions added for women to compete in.

Can't believe there are people who think splitting up heavyweight is a good idea. That would decimate the talent pool. Not to mention that probably the only heavyweights who wouldn't be able to cut to 225 are Bigfoot and Soa. All it would do is let the second best guy at heavyweight hold a title.

Now could be (same # as current, but diff spacing):
130, 140, 150, 165, 180, 200, 225, HW
135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 200, 225, HW

Future maybe (more talent available):
130, 140, 150, 160, 175, 190, 205, 225, 250, SHW

Yeah, more belts are fine, but they're gonna have to be smart about it.

No 230 CW division at the moment when the HW division already sucks.

SW at 115 can work, but they'll need to be proactive about signing talents. They need to have at least 16 guys ready to jump ship when they announce the division.

They need to get rid of 125. Then add something between LHW and HW. Talent is shallow there but that weight difference really fucks up LHW because the 230- guys all drop to 205.

21o
Obviously won't happen ...but would be nice IMO

Keep the same number, but cut 125 and 135, add 195 and 235

Back