Joe Rogan: The UFC is going to have to add more weight classes eventually

I wouldn't mind them going 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 200, 225, 265

That gap between 155 and 170 leaves a lot of guys in a shitty place where they are either too drained to really give it their all at 155 and too small for 170. I think 165 would be very competitive.

A 3 weight division champ who defends one belt every 2 years???

Count me in! :D

Consolidate classes. HW+LHW, MW+WW, LW+FW, BW+FLW

Anyone who ask for more weight classes has zero logic. The talent pool isn't there and we already have to see too many rematches.

I don't really want to see more, but when they do I could see it going like this:

125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 225, 225+

Yes.

Last edited:
I WANT them to add more WC's.... if they would have more fighters, so the WC's do not become shallow as they are.

IMHO UFC Model is unsustainable in the long run.
They can't hold all the talent, because there are simply too many fighters, and not that many events.

That's why Boxing have many promotions and they fight each other.

Life was so simple when it was 155, 170, 185, 205, HW. Five bad motherfuckers.

It was even simpler when there was just 170, 185, 205 and HW.

By that token, it would be even simpler with just openweight.

People who complain about boxing weightclasses need to realise two things:

1) There are 9 weight classes in the 100-130 range.

2) There are 3 weight classes in the 175 - unlimited range.

Boxing is unnecessarily crowded with weight classes at the lighter end, and unnecessarily sparse at the heavy end.

If we go by 10 pound increments consistently we will not have this problem.

No thanks.

Unless they make LHW 195 lbs. and HW is 196-265.

Well that isn't a new class.

I've been saying forever, that they could eventually add one belt. Drop LHW down to 200lb. Add a Cruiser class at 215. Maybe up the HW limit a bit to 275.

This is of course eventually. People keep saying there aren't enough guys... well that's debatable. However one day it's possible that they will undeniably have enough for a new class.

Sadly, the best time for this would've been the moment Jones vacated the title. And it's very possible, if they focus on finding talented guys that naturally walk around near 225-230 (so they would likely cut down 10-15 to make 215.)

right after he starts talking bro science. classic

Imagine if 170 was bumped up to 176 and 155 to 165.
Changes shit. Hendricks would be thrilled.

Too many already. They need to eliminate the flyweight division for sure. I'd rather watch super heavyweights than that shit.

There's already 3 they need to get rid off.

no more weight classes! there are too many already!

/end thread

to many weight classes

you add more it ends up like boxing and than you have a champ at 137 and another one at 144 its like what the fuck really? its a waste we have enough!

Their are too many fucking weight classes. It's just a cheap trick to increase the amount of title matches to head line cards.

I'm pretty sure I only track the original 5 still...with the exception of Conor/Aldo.

/end thread

to many weight classes

you add more it ends up like boxing and than you have a champ at 137 and another one at 144 its like what the fuck really? its a waste we have enough!

An elusive and wild Slippery Slope Argument appears!

I also would be okay with just 4 weight classes.
155 and under
240+

there are too many light classes, no one knows whose the best & not many care

"Going to have to"

Under no circumstance do they have to. But if Joe means they will eventually I wouldn't put it past zuffa to pad more cards in bulgario with even crappier even smaller friends

The only feasible one would be to add it between Welterweight and Lightweight. The idea still sucks, but 165 with WW moved to 175 is the only thing that wouldn't sap divisions badly.

Anybody thinking that a 225lbs addition would be good is completely lacking in critical thinking.

People will bitch about too much weight cutting in MMA, and yet in the same breath say no more weight classes.

Lol exactly. I think "no" is winning the poll because they are thinking more weight classes under 125 ahahahahahah

Oh fuck no, Id hate it, spread the talent even further across even more divisions.

This is actually a win/win for fans and the UFC. We could have championship fights every other weekend!

265+
It would be a spectacle.
I don't think there's enough fighters to make a solid 265+ division. Instead they should just remove the weight cap for HW.

Stefan Struve could finally fill out his frame and Bigfoot wouldn't have to look like a holocaust victim on fight night. There might also be some freak athlets from other sports who have no chance in hell to cut to 265 and therefore aren't even thinking of givning MMA a shot today.

If there are more fighters and more fights then I'm all for it.

No, I want weight cutting banned and:

HW- 206-unlimited

What is going on under IDGAF.

I'm neutral to the idea, why is it a bad idea?

Weight classes exist to keep better fighters from pummeling worse fighters, not to simply keep bigger guys away from smaller guys. Guys who are 155 lbs are at a big disadvantage to guys who are 170 lbs. But guys who can cut to 225 lbs walk around at 240ish lbs. And history has shown that guys who weigh ~240 lbs are at no disadvantage to guys who weigh ~270 lbs. Throughout the history of MMA, the top dogs have pretty much always weighed 230-245 lbs. If they want to, any one of them could easy fight at this stupid 'Cruiser Weight' division. Let's say Cain gets beat down by Werdum again. He could easily dehydrate for a day or two and cut to 225lbs to try to win that belt, simply because he can't defeat Werdum. If Werdum wants to, he could cut to 225 with little to no effort.

The only thing that makes sense is to lobby to get rid of the 265 lbs weight limit. It would be good to see a couple more monsters (think Lesnar pre-injury, Semmy Schilt if he went the MMA route) in the mix. And once again, time has shown, these monsters do not have a real advantage over guys who are ~240lbs.

The 225lbs idea is fucking stupid.

I really don't think it's necessary to add more weight classes.

Weight is just one size property. There's also height and reach. And even having more weight, or even just more muscle, isn't purely advantageous, as it also reduces speed. Weight classes are there just to make fighters face fighters of a generally similar size. The idea is to prevent HUGE weight differences that would occur if there were no weight classes. Generally, fighters are of a similar weight as it is.

That's the athletic side. There's also the branding side. Every weight class is a brand, with every weight class comes a new title, and titles are worth money. However, as more weight classes and champions are added, each individual weight class and champion is devalued. Dana White himself has made this point before, citing it as a problem within boxing. I think we're already at that point. 8 male divisions and 2 female divisions (potentially 5 with 105,125,145) is enough. A good general indicator of this fact is that by adding more divisions, we'd start diluting even the NAMING of the divisions, ie. 195 = Super Middleweight and 175 = Light Middleweight. That might sound like a minor thing, but it does matter since we're talking about branding, as it makes it harder for fans to even remember divisional names and distinguish between them. I've already spoken to fans who don't know whether certain top ten fighters are FTW or BW, or BW or FLW, for example.

On the mens side of things, 115 would obviously be the next division to add at the lighter weights. I think the reason UFC would go for this would be to try and gain footing in markets like Mexico and Asia where fighters are generally smaller. But I don't think they'll add the division until they start seeing more quality fighters fill up the 125 division (it's still one of the least populated divisions in the UFC), OR the champion starts actually making money for the company. Higher up in weight, splitting 170 into 165 and 175 would be the next logical step, as 155 and 170 are highly populated divisions. A 195 weight class would probably follow. I don't want to see either of these things happen for the reasons explained above. Then, even higher up in weight would be a 220 or 225 Cruiserweight division, and/or removing the 265lb Heavyweight limit entirely. They absolutely shouldn't do this until the LHW and HW divisions aren't terrible. There aren't enough talented fighters who weigh that much. For that to happen, the UFC would have to start being more competitive with football and basketball to recruit the bigger athletes.

On the womens side, I can see them adding 105, 125, and 145 divisions once the current divisions have established themselves more. I don't think they'll do it any time soon because they need to allow the 115 and 135 divisions to fill out. If they added 125 then they'd replace having 2 thin divisions with having 3 thinner divisions, and still have only 1 female star.

There are plenty of weight classes in MMA. Makes no sense to add anymore and spread the talent thinner.

If anything, less divisions would be better separated by 20 lbs like the difference between MW and LHW:

125 and below: BW
126 - 145: FW
146 - 165: LW
166 - 185: MW
186 - 205: LHW
206 - 265: HW
265 and above: SHW

hw: shallow
lhw: shallow
mw: top heavy
ww: good
lw: great
fw:good
bw:eek:k
wbw: bad
fw: shallow

i dont think we need more weight classes, we need more prospects

There are plenty of weight classes in MMA. Makes no sense to add anymore and spread the talent thinner.

If anything, less divisions would be better separated by 20 lbs like the difference between MW and LHW:

125 and Below: BW
126 - 145: FW
146 - 165: LW
166 - 185: MW
186 - 205: LHW
206 - 265: HW
265 and above: SHW

This is more like it people.

Only 2 classes. Under 6 ft and over 6 ft. No weight limits.

Well of course they will have to add more weight-classes, at least if MMA continues to grow. I have no problem with more weight classes as long as there are enough talented fighters to fill them.

No way. They're just fine right now. But if they were to add one, i'd say add women's Flyweight.

Well of course they will have to add more weight-classes, at least if MMA continues to grow. I have no problem with more weight classes as long as there are enough talented fighters to fill them.

There is no reason to immediately conclude we need more classes if we get more good fighters.

Divisions the UFC should have:

HW

It's that easy, folks.

Back