Joe Rogan: The UFC is going to have to add more weight classes eventually

Frank23

Enter Sandman Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
[YT]rMSGMuumwu0[/YT]

28:50-

Joe Rogan thinks that the UFC is going to have to add more weight classes eventually. I would like to see the UFC add more weight classes. What are your thoughts?

rogan44.0.jpg

Dumb idea and the UFC listened. Cruiserweight, really?

Fuck no. does Rogan just want all the talent pools for each class to be as shallow as 125 and the womens' divisions?

I wouldn't mind them splitting up HW a bit. Not interested in any more classes below 125-lbs. More female divisions might be fun. Have a 125 or 145-lbs division. Two open weight classes for men and women could also set up some fun freak show fights in the future. Everybody loves a good freak show.

Dumb idea and the UFC listened. Cruiserweight, really?

I don't know that "UFC listened". I think a guy from the ABC called Sean Wheelock is just making a (bad) suggestion.

People will bitch about too much weight cutting in MMA, and yet in the same breath say no more weight classes.

I voted no, however, in time I do think a 125 pound division for women will be necessary. For the men I think the current weightclasses are adequate. I don't really think a twenty pound difference between MW and LHY is excessive for guys of that size and the addition of a 195 class would mean just ten pounds from MW, for guys that size ten pounds is nothing.

There should be:

Nothing else

Count me in for 195. I'm surprised it has not been implemented yet. With all the events the UFC has, a 195 champ would be very useful. Not over saturated at all with a 20 lb. gap between 185 and 205.

I think there should be more weight divisions on the top end, 15, 20lbs is too much. Maybe add a 179 and 194ish division?

Right now, no. Eventually, possibly. Depends how big the UFC can grow and how many skilled fighters they can bring in. It would be interesting if they lowered the hw limit now to 235 or something and had another class with no limit but of course we are still far away from having the talent to pull that off.

There should be:

Nothing else

Terribly stupid idea. Cruiser Weight is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If anything the 265 limit should go, it is based on an antiquated idea that 280 lbs guys would dominate 230 lbs guys, which is not the case.

Count me in for 195. I'm surprised it has not been implemented yet. With all the events the UFC has, a 195 champ would be very useful. Not over saturated at all with a 20 lb. gap between 185 and 205.

Yeah, we need to dilute more divisions and add another diluted one on top of it.

I don't think HW is thin enough either. Let's split that in two.

:icon_idea

id love to see them drop more fighters in all honesty.

Yeah HW could be split up the only problem is that we would be left with about 8 fighters who legitimately need to fight at 265.

The only class that needs readjusting is Hw....225 plus should be Super Hw 200 to 224 should be HW.problem solved. The problem with boxing is also Hw is over 200,yet only ONE guy is 220 the rest is above 220 that are ranked. UFC can fix this by just splitting up a HW division by adding a super Hw one and get rid of the ridiculous 265 pound rule which means little even for a small percentage of larger fighters.

The only reason to add more weight classes, is to create another belt, so they can charge more money.

The only class that needs readjusting is Hw....225 plus should be Super Hw 200 to 224 should be HW.problem solved. The problem with boxing is also Hw is over 200,yet only ONE guy is 220 the rest is above 220 that are ranked. UFC can fix this by just splitting up a HW division by adding a super Hw one and get rid of the ridiculous 265 pound rule which means little even for a small percentage of larger fighters.

Stupid. Almost all the top HWs could easily cut to 224.

hell no. that's one of the big problems with boxing already. the top guys never face each other. maybe HW, but no more.

If anything the heavyweight division needs to have it's upper weight restriction removed, just 206 and up, or make it 200 and up so some of the LHWs have to switch to HW

no more weight classes! there are too many already!

Absolutely! They should decrease the number of weight classes - not increase them. The early UFC events with no weight divisions at all and no upper limit on weight were still the most entertaining fighting events I've ever seen. I'm sure many people on this forum weren't around back then or weren't old enough to watch the early UFCs but that was the true test of who was the best fighter. Today's UFC is so watered down from what it was when it was No Hold Barred (NHB) rather than MMA that today's cards typically have two fights I'm interested in seeing. Back then practically every fight on the card was exciting. Today the champion of a division never proves he's the best fighter, only that he's a good fighter for his size at sport fighting - not at No Holds Barred Fighting. They didn't have tiny little 135 pound men fighting but I don't believe just any man should be able to fight in NHB or MMA fighting just because he wants to do it. Certain people just aren't suited for fighting for a living. If you're 135 or 145 pounds, do something else for a living! In basketball or football they don't make special divisions for little guys who can't compete against the big guys and they shouldn't in fighting either. If you're 5 foot 5 inches tall and 135 pounds you don't belong in the NBA or the UFC. If you're that size find a profession that suits your God given attributes.

Also there are so many techniques used in today's UFC that would just not work at all in a real fight as opposed to a sport fight. As the Gracies say (they quit UFC because of the new rules including weight classes) "Today the champions are just guys who show they are good at using the rules to their advantage. You never saw Royce Gracie complain that the other guys were too big for him. He fought Dan Severn, an Olympic level Greco-Roman wrestler with an 85 pound weight advantage on Royce, and won! Severn pushed him to the limit though. Earlier that night Severn had dumped Tony Macias on his head twice in a row with suplexes but even though he lost, even though he was outweighed by Severn by what today would be at least 2 weight divisions, Macias walked away alright. he wasn't seriously injured.Nobody ever died in NHB fighting as opposed to football or car racing or boxing yet it was outlawed.

Today they would never allow a fight such as Royce Gracie vs Dan Severn to take place. They'd say Severn is too big and so it's too dangerous for Gracie but fighting is supposed to be dangerous! These guys were fighting of their own volition, their own free will. Nobody was putting a gun to their heads forcing them to fight. Now they aren't even allowed to fight the way they did then if they want to. It's a perfect example of the erosion of our freedoms in The U.S.A. Once you lose a right, how do you get it back? We just keep losing more and more of our rights. If a man wants to compete in a tournament where he might fight 3 times in one night, that used to be his right to accept the challenge. That right is gone now. Adding more weight divisions, more rules, and so on will just water down the sport even more than it already has been. If they have to have weight divisions I'd prefer they simply have 3 divisions - 160 pounds and below, 161 pounds to 200 pounds, and over 200 pounds.

Weight limit
(lb / kg / stone) Continuous
since WBA WBC IBF WBO BoxRec The Ring Boxing News
unlimited 1885 Heavyweight Heavyweight Heavyweight Heavyweight Heavyweight Heavyweight Heavyweight
200 / 90.7 / 14 st 4 1980[t 1] Cruiserweight Cruiserweight Cruiserweight Junior heavyweight Cruiserweight Cruiserweight Cruiserweight
175 / 79.4 / 12

Add a 195, and a 220 pound division. That way the goat Jon GOAT Jones can be a 4 division champ.

If he is talking about lighter weights or more women's divisions then please to god no

I could see something like turning LHW into 200 pounds and adding a 225 division though

Super Heavyweight, baby. Bigfoot 2017 champ

How many fighters are cutting to 205 at HW? Stupid?the average UFc Hw is 240,if anything it will take the fighters like Jones/Gus/Cormier and move them up....guys like Weidman and Rockhold can go to LHW just adjust the weight division.

Maybe add another for WMMA in like 4-5 years. The only weight class to add to the men's would be splitting up the 200+ers...not really sure how that makes sense tho, because HW is a joke already. I'll have to listen to that episode of JRE and see if he clarifies it.

Only if by eventually he means "in a future where we get about 20 more top guys that could be both on the HW as well as the LHW division".

its going to be like boxing
u will have a 7 division title holder. 135,140,145,150,155,160,165 and maybe more.

Not any time soon, but I could see it happening eventually and me being okay with it. There would need to be a lot more fighters, though.

Since a lot of people are talking about splitting them divisions, I think going 155-165-175-185 might thin out the stacked LW and WW divisions, in an optimistic world more people fight natural class?

Yeah maybe but not all the top 205 fighters would want to fight at 200 so you would get guys at the top of the LHW division in there as well which would be very interesting to me

I'm in the minority as I do like to watch the lower weight classes,but I totally understand if others don't.
They can add an additional lower weight class for the Eastern fighters,Strawweight for men and Atomweight for women possibly.
That could open door for more prospects in that region...,and money markets for Uncle Dana.

I'm also against the 265 pound maximum.

I'm also against the 265 pound maximum. I don't think boxing has a maximum weight for Heavyweights. When you get up to that size the men are able to compete against guys who outweigh them and still win. I saw an interview with Ken Patera (first man in the world to press 500 pounds over his head) and he was talking about when he went to the Olympics in 1972 to compete in weightlifting and he said that the Russian was something like 30 or 40 pounds heavier than him but he quickly added that it doesn't matter when you get to that size. That was the last Olympics where steroids were legal to use for competition. Anyway whether you're talking about Olympic weightlifting boxing or wrestling, there's just no need for a 265 maximum weight allowable. If for example the Olympics had put a 265 pound maximum on heavyweight weightlifters, the two best weightlifters at that time the American Ken Patera and the Russian Vasili Alexiev both would have been ineligible to compete in the sport! As MMA grows in popularity, there will be more fighters the size of 325 pound football players who will want to compete and won't be able to until they get rid of the 265 pound cap.

It's ridiculous that they bend over backwards to accommodate tiny little guys by creating special weight divisions for them yet lots of the men in the NFL weigh over 300 pounds and if some athletes that size wanted to compete in The UFC they wouldn't be eligible! I don't think boxing has a maximum weight for Heavyweights. When you get up to that size the men are able to compete against guys who outweigh them and still win. I saw an interview with Ken Patera (first man in the world to press 500 pounds over his head) and he was talking about when he went to the Olympics in 1972 to compete in weightlifting and he said that the Russian was something like 30 or 40 pounds heavier than him but he quickly added that it doesn't matter when you get to that size. That was the last Olympics where steroids were legal to use for competition. Anyway whether you're talking about Olympic weightlifting boxing or wrestling, there's just no need for a 265 maximum weight allowable. If for example the Olympics had put a 265 pound maximum on heavyweight weightlifters, the two best weightlifters at that time the American Ken Patera and the Russian Vasili Alexiev both would have been a 265 pound maximum on heavyweight weightlifters, the two best weightlifters at that time the American Ken Patera and the Russian Vasili Alexiev both would have been ineligible to compete in the sport! As MMA grows in popularity, there will be more fighters the size of 325 pound football players who will want to compete and won't be able to until they get rid of the 265 pound cap. It's ridiculous that they bend over backwards to accommodate tiny little guys by creating special weight divisions for them yet lots of the men in the NFL if they were to want to compete in the UFC, they would be ineligible to compete because they're too big. Fighting is an activity that is naturally suited for big men. A good big man will always beat a good little man in a fight. So for them to go out of their way to make room for little guys in The UFC and at the same time exclude 300 pound guys from being able to fight is completely unnatural. Barring men over 265 pounds from The UFC goes against the nature of fighting itself which favors big men! Can ineligible to compete in the sport! As MMA grows in popularity, there will be more fighters the size of 325 pound football players who will want to compete and won't be able to until they get rid of the 265 pound cap. It's ridiculous that they bend over backwards to accommodate tiny little guys by creating special weight divisions for them yet lots of the men in the NFL if they were to want to compete in the UFC, they would be ineligible to compete because they're too big. Fighting is an activity that is naturally suited for big men. A good big man will always beat a good little man in a fight. So for them to go out of their way to make room for little guys in The UFC and at the same time exclude 300 pound guys from being able to fight is completely unnatural. Barring men over 265 pounds from The UFC goes against the nature of fighting itself which favors big men! Can you imagine The NBA instituting a maximum height limit and at the same time creating a separate league for guys under 6 feet tall? It would be unnatural for the sport of basketball to do that just as the previous example is unnatural for the sport of fighting.

Back