Joe Rogan: The UFC is going to have to add more weight classes eventually

They'll probably make an international title to go along with it on Fight Pass only.

The more weight classes, the more the best (champs) will not risk fighting the best in the weight clasd above.

That's yet another reason why increasing the number of weight classes is a terrible idea. Ideally I'd like to see less weight divisions - not more. Getting rid of some of the weight divisions would make each belt mean more and we would see more great fights as a result of fewer divisions. Seeing fighters such as Anderson Silva (a few years ago when he was in his prime) fight either George St. Pierre or Jon Jones (also a few years ago) depending on which direction he went would have been great.

People will bitch about too much weight cutting in MMA, and yet in the same breath say no more weight classes.

Or maybe just maybe Sherdog is a community of more than one person/opinion and it's not the same people arguing both.

So Jon Jones would have to be a HW then. I don't think he could cut 10 more lbs and fight well.

I would imagine Jones, Cormier, Glover and Gus would all be HW's, probably Rumble and Bader as well unless they lost some muscle.

None of those guys are really any smaller than Fedor, Nog or Crocop who fought at a limitless HW.

I voted yes, but only if they have enough fighters for each division. Right now I would like to see the HW division split up but it is so thin as it is there would be no point.

I would imagine Jones, Cormier, Glover and Gus would all be HW's, probably Rumble and Bader as well unless they lost some muscle.

None of those guys are really any smaller than Fedor, Nog or Crocop who fought at a limitless HW.

Cormier is a good example of how there isn't as big of a difference between one weight division and the next as some people think. Cormier is the LHW Champion but he was doing extremely well at Heavyweight, so well that he believed he would soon be given a shot at the champion at the time, Cain Velasquez, and since Cormier didn't want to fight Cain he moved to Light Heavyweight. I believe that although he can beat most people as a Heavyweight or a LHW, there is or has been at least one person in each division who could beat him. I think Jon Jones would have beat him at LHW. At HW I think Werdum can beat Cormier and maybe Cain and JDS as well. Jon Jones would be a much bigger threat to Cormier than most heavyweights would be. Randy Couture is another fighter who had roughly equal success in LHW and HW. Of course Couture was even more successful than Cormier; Couture was the most decorated UFC Champion ever - 5 times!

I voted no but I actually do think that a cruiserweight wouldn't be a bad idea... something to break up the huge 60 lb gap in the HW division. Since I'd love to see guys fight at/near their natural weight it's really a necessity.

UFC seems to favor building champions to have long win streaks like GSP, Anderson, Jones instead of putting them in fights against one another. So no, I don't want more divisions because it'll likely result in us seeing less of the best versus the best.

Yes, only so that guys like BJ and Diego could have that perfect 162 lbs weight class - they both seem to be drained at 155 yet fat at 170 (and having to fight guys cutting from 190-200+ lbs).

No. Please, no. I love Joe, but this would be soooo stupid. Its proven that the tiny guys (125) don't sell. I don't care if MM wasn't the champion, no one in that class would bring in tickets.

Generally speaking, the even smaller men do not even speak English, which also will not sell any tickets.

Realistically they need to scrap 125 and merge it into 135. MM is good enough to threaten for the title, people forget he fought Cruz at that weight class.

I understand that fighters want to be closer to their natural weight, or cut more weight to have an advantage, but you cant please everyone. Another weight class would do nothing positive for the UFC.

Rearranging some of the existing ones a bit would be better than adding more weight classes to dilute the talent pool.

Mens 115, 230, 265+

Then add some big bitch divisions. Get sloppy in there lol

Of course this all depends on fighter-pay increasing dramatically to attract talent. Without that they'd just be diluting what they have

Problem: weight classes are too watered down
UFC's solution: add more weight classes

derp

there aren't even enough hw to begin with, don't split them up.

Fuck no.

The absolute last thing in the world the UFC needs is more weight classes, male or female.

Id like a cruiserweight or something. 205-240, then make 240 and up no weight limit. Or call 205-240 heavyweight and 240+ super heavy.

It would even out the playing field much better the LHW's would be HW's ,which they are over 200 pounds anyway,so its nonsense to think aHw Division separated from a 225/230 pound Super HW one doesn't work. Each division has more than enough fighters to spread and creat much better match ups if they do this.. just look at the top 10 UFc line up...do you really think they are going to cut to 225.

Theirs dead division and you want to add more? Will be bad for the ufc.

No additional men's weight classes, but women's 105 should be added, and possibly 125 as well (though at this point that might cause an undesirable mass-exodus from 135...).

No they have to.. And spliting up HW is the worst idea ever. if there's a 22 or so CW limit then every HW but like 2 or 3 could make that weight Werdum weighs less than 240 and so did Cain.
Every fighter could choose whether to fight at 220 or real HW and the champ at 220 coul EASILY win the HW belt.
Just do away with the limit splitting up HW is horrible.

They don't have to add a new weight class to do away with the HW limit how many HWs even cut weight 2? 3?

Theirs dead division and you want to add more? Will be bad for the ufc.

Sooooooooo much this.

Imagine the anticipation for the first cruiserweight title fight between Bader/Gus. DC/Gus got enough fucking shit from some posters. Good luck marketing the former, between another two guys Jones has beaten. Plus one DC AND Rumble have also beaten.

Get set for the new 140lb title fight between Darren Elkins and Chad Mendes. Yep, the same Chad that lost to Aldo twice and on short-notice, got nailed by Conor too, rematches the wrestler you just cannot shake off (well, apart from the time Chad murdered him with punches).....

The list would go on and on. FUCK THAT. Terrible decision. We need better, more competitive dvisions with more top-tier talent.

Not now, but in the future they will have to if the sport grows.

People are making dumb comparisons to boxing but it only has 3 more weight classes than MMA does above 125. The other excess weight classes are below 125 and are only 3 lbs apart which is why there are so many. A lb is worth more at those low weights and there is a lot of worldwide depth in those classes.

I seriously don't get the "it's not boxing" mentality. Especially with weight being an even more relevant factor in MMA because of grappling.

Last edited:
Poll: Do Sherdog posters know what the word 'eventually' means?

Yes
No
I can't grasp words with more than two syllables, so I am unsure.

125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 200, 215, 275

First thing is 265 needs to be unlimited, there are actual legitimate athletes that are above 265lb that can make the cut. Cruiseweight is pointless, and they're struggling to market divisions below 145lb.

I don't know why Dana is so insistant to keep it at 265lb, the division is weak as piss already..the concept may as well be trialed for 6 months or so anyway.

It could be interesting to see guys who struggled to cut weight come in at their more natural walk around weight...McCorkle, Sapp, Hunt, Soa, Bigfoot, Waterman, James Thompson, Schilt, Chris Barnett. Not top tier guys by a long stretch, but legitimate talent that all have struggled to make weight..fat or not, these guys are structurally huge men that struggle to cut weight and would be far more interesting to see in their peak form.

But I guess, Dana is terrified a lot of heavyweights would just rock up in their super fat natural format, which I can understand because a lot of people wouldn't bother cutting weight at all..but if that's the case they wouldn't perform at their optimum peak. But it should at least be trialed.

I'd probably go with adding 195 for men and 145+125+105 for women. Only keep most of the the fights in those women's weight classes in Invicta. Only championship fights and #1 contender (or real close to #1 contender) type fights allowed in the UFC. Or any hot chicks that come around and know how to market themselves, Miesha/PVZ style. It helps the UFC create more potential draws and title fights while not exposing us to the terrible fighting of a division like 145 in particular.

Always felt like 185 to 205 was a pretty big jump, too, so wouldn't mind seeing a 195 division for men added. I think the women's divisions are a must though. It's pretty clear you can develop women who are draws whether it's Ronda as a PPV draw or Tate as a TV draw or Carano as a TV draw back in the day. No reason for them not to add other women's divisions as a result, even if they bury all of the non-champs and/or non-stars in Invicta. That's the beauty of essentially having a minor league feeder like Invicta on a Fight Pass contract.

Who really cares what weight 2 guys want to fight at? There is no need for these arbitrarily decided divisions other than to keep the illusion of being a sport. Keep your few belts and let guys fight at whatever weight the two can agree to for non-title affairs.

It makes sense to do it once the divisions are deep enough. Some of the weight differences are just stupid. 60 pounds from 205? That's like 30%...

Men's

205-239
240-300 (this becomes your new super HW, and now you can get Bob Sapp types, full size Brock/Big foot, etc)

Women's

125 (20 pound weight gap is WAY too much this low)
150-175 (This becomes the equivalent of women's super heavyweight and would cover women walking around at 200+ prior to weight cuts. Hello Gabi Garcia!)

So 2 men's classes, and 3 women's classes and then you're done.

Who really cares what Rogan thinks? He actually quizzed Neil DeGrasse Tyson about whether man really went to the moon. He is a 9 year old in the body of a middle aged stoner on TRT.

People want an open openweight or a SHW division but can't even name ten active fighters that are really affected by the 265 limit, lol.

Men's

Women's

Back