• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Elections Joe Biden NOT on Ohio Ballots - Republicans Could Keep Him Off

Whippy McGee

Surf 4 Life
@Steel
Reaction score

An effort to ensure that President Joe Biden is on Ohio's general election ballot stalled Wednesday in the Legislature, raising the likelihood of legal action to resolve the issue.

It's the latest twist in what has usually been a straightforward move to fix conflicts between late conventions and state election laws in the past.

This time, with their own convention scheduled for July, Republicans appear less inclined to help Democrats without something in return.

In a party-line vote, the Republican-controlled state Senate advanced a bill that would relax a pre-convention deadline for Democrats to certify Biden as their nominee — while also outlawing foreign contributions to state ballot measure campaigns.

The attachment of the latter provision means the state Senate bill conflicts with a state House fix that was introduced this week, which included no such conditions. The House version would allow Biden's name to appear on the ballot while also allowing more time and flexibility for political parties to certify presidential nominees in future elections.

After the state Senate voted on its measure Wednesday, the Republican-led House adjourned without considering either version.

State Secretary of State Frank LaRose, a Republican, warned Democrats last month that Biden was in danger of not qualifying for the state's November ballot because the party's nominating convention is scheduled after the Aug. 7 deadline for certifying candidates.

=====================================================================

Basically, the Republicans are sharing with the Democrats how it feels to have their candidate at risk of not even being an option.

I 100% stand against this, as should Trump. Biden should be allowed onto the ballots and the Republicans should back off and let the Democrats work around the law and get their guy in the race.

They should give him an exemption ONLY if democrats agree to give RFK Jr. ballot access in every state and stop trying to railroad him at every turn. I don't see why one major candidate should be given preference over others.

And I don't accept that democrats really care at all about "democracy" when they literally have teams of lawyers (paid for by the DNC) that are in courts explicitly to stop RFK Jr. and other third party candidates from being on ballots.

It's not like Biden is going to win Ohio.

This has to do with Ohio's law of presidential candidates having to be officially nominated 90 days before the election. It's the DNC's own fault.

Last edited:
It's not like Bide is going to win Ohio.

This has to do with Ohio's law of presidential candidates having to be officially nominated 90 days before the election. It's the DNC's own fault.

It is their own fault, but I don't want Republicans playing the same Authoritarian game to keep Democrats off the ballot. It's a shit move and if the Republicans do pull it off, I won't be voting for any of them in November.

Can't the house just approve it with the new provision? Seems like a great provision to be honest. "outlawing foreign contributions to state ballot measure campaigns.". Common sense.

This is not a game that Republicans want to play when "Candidates for elections cannot be prior or current felons" could be quickly added to some state's ballot criteria

Asking for a favor when it's just some weird deadline thing is dumb, but also pretty dumb that democrats don't have their ducks in a row to meet the deadline for all the states. I don't believe the Ohio deadline moved up suddenly did it?

This is not a game that Republicans want to play when "Candidates for elections cannot be prior or current felons" could be quickly added to some state's ballot criteria

Asking for a favor when it's just some weird deadline thing is dumb, but also pretty dumb that democrats don't have their ducks in a row to meet the deadline for all the states. I don't believe the Ohio deadline moved up suddenly did it?
In 2010. Both parties had their conventions too late for the dumb law in 2012 and 2020, and they were both given exemptions. The change looks to be a mistake that was included in a law that had a different focus. Doesn't make sense that both parties would have to move their convention schedules around one state's legislative mistake.

No, looks like the Dems had plenty of time and just screwed the pooch.

In a party-line vote, the Republican-controlled state Senate advanced a bill that would relax a pre-convention deadline for Democrats to certify Biden as their nominee — while also outlawing foreign contributions to state ballot measure campaigns.

The attachment of the latter provision means the state Senate bill conflicts with a state House fix that was introduced this week, which included no such conditions. The House version would allow Biden’s name to appear on the ballot while also allowing more time and flexibility for political parties to certify presidential nominees in future elections.

After the state Senate voted on its measure Wednesday, the Republican-led House adjourned without considering either version.

State Secretary of State Frank LaRose, a Republican, warned Democrats last month that Biden was in danger of not qualifying for the state’s November ballot because the party’s nominating convention is scheduled after the Aug. 7 deadline for certifying candidates.“For weeks now I’ve said the easiest way to [ensure Biden is on the ballot] is to pass temporary legislation that adjusts the deadline by which they can certify their nominee to my office,” LaRose said in a statement Wednesday. “Unfortunately, the Ohio House couldn’t get that done today, it appears because Democrats are more interested in protecting foreign billionaires who want to bankroll Ohio’s elections than in getting their presidential candidate on the ballot.

They should give him an exemption ONLY if democrats agree to give RFK Jr. ballot access in every state and stop trying to railroad him at every turn. I don't see why one major candidate should be given preference over others.

And I don't accept that democrats really care at all about "democracy" when they literally have teams of lawyers (paid for by the DNC) that are in courts explicitly to stop RFK Jr. and other third party candidates from being on ballots.

Last I checked RFK is running as an independent why are democrats responsible to assist in his candidacy?

If you guys like him so much why didn't your primary him against Trump?

No, looks like the Dems had plenty of time and just screwed the pooch.

The attachment of the latter provision means the state Senate bill conflicts with a state House fix that was introduced this week, which included no such conditions. The House version would allow Biden’s name to appear on the ballot while also allowing more time and flexibility for political parties to certify presidential nominees in future elections.

State Secretary of State Frank LaRose, a Republican, warned Democrats last month that Biden was in danger of not qualifying for the state’s November ballot because the party’s nominating convention is scheduled after the Aug. 7 deadline for certifying candidates.“For weeks now I’ve said the easiest way to [ensure Biden is on the ballot] is to pass temporary legislation that adjusts the deadline by which they can certify their nominee to my office,” LaRose said in a statement Wednesday. “Unfortunately, the Ohio House couldn’t get that done today, it appears because Democrats are more interested in protecting foreign billionaires who want to bankroll Ohio’s elections than in getting their presidential candidate on the ballot.

why was it a party line vote to not have foreigners influence elections?

I guss maybe the republicans knew the house would close up shop? Regardless, election laws changed last minute in 2020, I am sure they can still pass a remedy

Ohio should make an exception for Joe Biden, but only for Joe Biden; no convention candidate switcheroo.

Back