Rewatch Is Volk’s performance against Islam in the first fight still impressive?

In a sense it's an even more impressive performance because the second one established Islam as clearly better yet Volk came razor close to beating him

But as a fighter the second fight took away Volk's aura in the match-up so there's no need for a third kind of like with Jones v Gus 1 & 2

At the time, it absolutely was. Islam had just demolished Charles who people were calling the new LW GOAT. Islam was regarded as Khabib 2.0 and was thought of as unbeatable at LW.

Volk went to war with him ending his dominance streak. He rearranged his face with viscous GNP in the final seconds of the last round. Throughout the fight Islam never had him in any danger via his grappling. Volk did all of this as a career FW. He lost a UD in the end but many people thought he won 3-2 or at least lost the competition but won the “fight”.

View attachment 1063818

After Islams fight against Dustin does this sentiment still hold true? 35 year old Dustin with bad hips and a broken rib stuffed 5 out of 16 takedowns. He went to war with Islam and gave him a gash on the face as parting gift.
Many thought they were 2-2 heading into the fifth. Islam eventually subbed him but he looked like the victim of a serial killer after the fight.
View attachment 1063814

So evidently(at least to me), Islam simply was never as good as we thought he was . He simply never fought enough elite LWs to expose his actual skill level. This devalues Volks performance in his first fight against Islam for me. Especially seeing as the norm for fighters moving up is to finish the defending bigger champ i.e Pereira, Jon, Conor, DC, Amanda, GSP , BJ.

Thoughts?
I think its what certified him for atleast me to be the best p4p 145lber to ever live. sorry to all the millenial Aldo fans.

ah337txl6pha1.png

That is the face of a man who was thinking he was losing :rolleyes:
Maybe he just had problems at home?
Sometimes we bring things like that with us to work.

I think its what certified him for atleast me to be the best p4p 145lber to ever live. sorry to all the millenial Aldo fans.
Khabib turned down Aldo and a chance at the IC LW title after screaming for anyone to hear that he wanted to fight Alvarez for the title.
Let that sink in for a second.
One is the greatest LW of all time turned down Aldo.

Khabib turned down Aldo and a chance at the IC LW title after screaming for anyone to hear that he wanted to fight Alvarez for the title.
Let that sink in for a second.
One is the greatest LW of all time turned down Aldo.
Ok...but Aldo also lost Volk and Max 3x lol

Khabib preferring to fight somebodyelse doesn't really overwrite that, muchacho

At the time, it absolutely was. Islam had just demolished Charles who people were calling the new LW GOAT. Islam was regarded as Khabib 2.0 and was thought of as unbeatable at LW.

Volk went to war with him ending his dominance streak. He rearranged his face with viscous GNP in the final seconds of the last round. Throughout the fight Islam never had him in any danger via his grappling. Volk did all of this as a career FW. He lost a UD in the end but many people thought he won 3-2 or at least lost the competition but won the “fight”.

View attachment 1063818

After Islams fight against Dustin does this sentiment still hold true? 35 year old Dustin with bad hips and a broken rib stuffed 5 out of 16 takedowns. He went to war with Islam and gave him a gash on the face as parting gift.
Many thought they were 2-2 heading into the fifth. Islam eventually subbed him but he looked like the victim of a serial killer after the fight.
View attachment 1063814

So evidently(at least to me), Islam simply was never as good as we thought he was . He simply never fought enough elite LWs to expose his actual skill level. This devalues Volks performance in his first fight against Islam for me. Especially seeing as the norm for fighters moving up is to finish the defending bigger champ i.e Pereira, Jon, Conor, DC, Amanda, GSP , BJ.

Thoughts?
You asked for thoughts about this subject. I think this thread is horrible. That is my view about this thread bro.

yup, outgunned in grappling and size and still was extremely competitive, he actually ran out of time there because Islam was spent. but Islam did enough to win surely.

Islam had a bad weight cut and Abu Dhabi Islam is a different fighter with whatever goes on over there. Dustin made him look mortal for a lot of moments too and that was in US.

The only thing about Volk that isn't "impressive" is his decision-making.

Rematching Islam without a camp and completely unprepared is one of the dumbest things we've seen in recent memory. And turning right around and fighting Topuria 4 months later, when it was obvious he hadn't recovered, was absurd.

Volk essentially flushed away the end of his prime with poor decision-making.

He probably fluctuates on blaming his team and himself for those decisions.

Rematching Islam without a camp and completely unprepared is one of the dumbest things we've seen in recent memory. And turning right around and fighting Topuria 4 months later, when it was obvious he hadn't recovered, was absurd.

Good point sir.

I can't tell you're wrong, as it's clearly subjective, but I can tell you that I disagree with you.

Volk has nine ranked wins at 145. Aldo has twelve. Aldo had nine title defenses. Volk had five. Aldo lost his belt almost twelve years into his MMA career. Volk lost his almost twelve years into his. Aldo had a clear win over the guy who should have been lightweight champion at the time in Edgar at UFC 156 and should have beaten Bendo at UFC 150.

Outside of Holloway, Volkanovski never successfully defended his title against anyone who had more than a two fight win streak. Hominick, Edgar II, KZ, Lamas and Mendes x2 all had at least three fight win streaks, with KZ at three, Lamas at four, Mendes II at five, Mendes I at nine, Edgar II at five and Hominick at five.

All time divisional standings are created in the aggregate. Aldo still has claim to the title Featherweight GOAT in my opinion.

All true.

I can't tell you're wrong, as it's clearly subjective, but I can tell you that I disagree with you.

Volk has nine ranked wins at 145. Aldo has twelve. Aldo had nine title defenses. Volk had five. Aldo lost his belt almost twelve years into his MMA career. Volk lost his almost twelve years into his. Aldo had a clear win over the guy who should have been lightweight champion at the time in Edgar at UFC 156 and should have beaten Bendo at UFC 150.

Outside of Holloway, Volkanovski never successfully defended his title against anyone who had more than a two fight win streak. Hominick, Edgar II, KZ, Lamas and Mendes x2 all had at least three fight win streaks, with KZ at three, Lamas at four, Mendes II at five, Mendes I at nine, Edgar II at five and Hominick at five.

All time divisional standings are created in the aggregate. Aldo still has claim to the title Featherweight GOAT in my opinion.
Millenial detected and opinion rejected

But I appreciate your detailed reply. I don't know if it is neccesarily fair to fault Volk for not defending the title against anyone on a fire streak of wins. He was fighting in the same era as Holloway, who very well could have been the FW goat if Volk never competed. So Holloway clearing out upcoming prospects for the belt isn't a fair criticism of Volk imo, he beat Aldo 3x himself so you know that the potential is there for GOAT status. FWIW, Edgar is awesome and all but he would get mauled by most ranked LWs today.

But to summarize why clearly, the way that I see it simply is that Volk could fill Aldo's shoes but I don't think Aldo could fit his. In a prime vs. prime matchup, I got Volk by massacre. If you wanna argue that Aldo's resume is better because of the quanity of wins, I'll give it to you. But then, I'd expect you to have Hughes over Usman because he has him beat according to the same rubric imo.

Back