• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I'm concerned about someone dying with the kind of fights organizations like Triller put on...

While I agree completely with your point, I don't see Mir being broke. He is smart in a sport of knuckleheads. I think he does it for the competition, has said as much in the past, has justified his age being fine given that HW's have more longevity. And Triller pays well on top of it.

So yes, it's a commission issue. If you listen to Nevada hearings they give Wand and Nick basically lifetime bans and laugh out loud in their meetings.

You don't have to be broke to take over a million dollars to take a big mismatch very late on your career,

You have less of brain than a goddamn rock, age does not equate to whether a fighter should fight or not since there is also experience involved which Frank Mir has a ton of as well as a lot of damage.
So you are saying due to his great experience Frank Mir should certainly continue fighting! Kinda retarded take there imo

You don't have to be broke to take over a million dollars to take a big mismatch very late on your career,

But you have to be a bit insane, right? Health is more important than a million dollars. And Frank's not a beggar.

But you have to be a bit insane, right? Health is more important than a million dollars. And Frank's not a beggar.

I spose you could say did he take a worse beating that his recent Bellator matches which he was probably paid far less for?

He does definately seem to be enteratining that dangerous Garry Goodridge territory though, really he should take this money and retire now or stick to grappling exhbitions if he wants to carry on competing.

I spose you could say did he take a worse beating that his recent Bellator matches which he was probably paid far less for?

He does definately seem to be enteratining that dangerous Garry Goodridge territory though, really he should take this money and retire now or stick to grappling exhbitions if he wants to carry on competing.

I think it's competition driven, but also money, it never hurts. Some dire consequences to pay, Goodridge would probably pay anything to get his health back after the fact.

Mir is so well known. He can do a lot with name value.

I question the IQ of those financially established 40+ years old retired fighters who continues to fight in niche organizations. I’d retire right away if I hit the million dollar mark in my mid 30s.

I think it's competition driven, but also money, it never hurts. Some dire consequences to pay, Goodridge would probably pay anything to get his health back after the fact.

Mir is so well known. He can do a lot with name value.

He probably has the advantage as well he's got this big payday for one fight were as Goodridge would probably need to fight half a dozen times or more to earn the same amount.

Really though I don't see Mir being offered the same again by Triller, I think this was a one shot deal.

Reactions: MCS
The real tragedy is that despite close to 20 years in competition and being a 2-time UFC heavyweight champion, Frank Mir took the fight because it's the most money he ever made fighting. We've all worked jobs that we hated for the money but for a prize fighter at the end of the road, getting your head knocked off for a payday is a risk that far too many are willing to take.

"fighter pay..bah humbug.. how many of you are boycotting the UFC!?!"

It's a joke... Regurgitate the same drivel but do nothing valid...I always say grab that flag and go... No one does...

Besides the MMA dynamic is so poor there is no reason to increase the pay structure unless forced. UFC has been an ATM forever and with the number of Contracts vs Fighters willing to take them being astronomical... They simply have 0 incentive to change anything...

Ah well - Round and Round...

Pay is a dead horse....

I question the IQ of those financially established 40+ years old retired fighters who continues to fight in niche organizations. I’d retire right away if I hit the million dollar mark in my mid 30s.

Most people who get punched in the head for a living don't have the best financial IQ.
1 million dollars is nothing when you start to factor in paying taxes on that money earned and maintaining a lifestyle that a pro fighter needs to stay on top.
We praise Cowboy Cerrone, for example, for being an "anytime/anywhere" type of fighter but the truth is he was fighting so much just to pay a large tax bill.

The reason we don't see as many fighters ride off into the sunset like Khabib and GSP did is that fighting is designed to keep you broke unless you have a solid money manager on your team that you can trust.

I don't know what's more shocking: ballooned-up-and-about-to-implode fat fuck Mir vs some former pro boxer who's obviously going to annihilate him being sanctioned, or that stupid, hideous fucking triangular ring at center stage of that shit show.

I don't know what's more shocking: ballooned-up-and-about-to-implode fat fuck Mir vs some former pro boxer who's obviously going to annihilate him being sanctioned, or that stupid, hideous fucking triangular ring at center stage of that shit show.
Did you watch the fights? All were competitive except 2. The lady fight and Mir. It was way more entertaining than the last UFC card

Nobody posted this?

200.gif

As a person that struggles financially, I completely understand why Mir did it.

Mir wants to take care of his family and that's admirable.

But I think they could've given him a lesser opponent.

Mir is not at fault for wanting to box to make money. He did not need to fight elite boxers to make money something the last few years has made clearer than ever. That was thrillers genius idea.

Not only that while fighting lower tier guys WAS a way to make money both other promotions and SAC's aren't going to want anything to do with him after this. So he's cut off from a future source of income as well.

When I saw that fight on paper when it was first announced I thought it was a joke. Mir is lucky Pulev didn't punch his damn head off while he was wobbling around like a mortal Kombat character.
Pulev missed with so full swing uppercut that would have probably retired Mir for good.

This was a laughable matchup from the start. Is Kubrat out of his prime? Sure, but he is still a world class HW boxer and top 15 in the world

But maybe Pulev was practicing facing Joe Joyce (who he is rumored to be facing next year) since Joyce and Mir both move at an similar glacial pace

Last edited:
Back