• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If you are Jon Jones would you fight Stipe or Aspinall for your legacy retirement fight?

If you are Jon Jones would you fight Stipe or Aspinall for your legacy retirement fight?

• Total voters
Bones gains very little but loses everything if he fights Tom.

Bones gains very little but loses everything if he fights Tom.

I think a lot of that depends on how Tom's career goes after that. Jon could actually gain a lot from beating Tom. From what we've seen from the new crop of HWs, Tom is the best one. If he ends up being a dominant champion and the best HW, Jon would have a win over him and that only raises his legacy. Not only would he beat Stipe, the best HW in UFC history, but also the next top HW.

We have seen in MMA and Boxing where scenarios like this happen. A champion takes on a new rising contender that goes on to have a big career. Those wins still hold value even though they beat them prior.

Just imagine if he looses to Miocic

It will be a absolute shame

If I was fully confident I could beat Aspinall, then easily that fight.

But because Jones is one of the most hated fighters, and also because you are only as good as your last fight, Jones would undoubtedly get shitted on if he loses. E.g. when Conor lost to Khabib, he was taunted mercilessly and his legacy was in tatters.

If Jones loses to Aspinall, I can already see the front page filled with threads like "Was Jones ever that good?" "Jones is overrated" etc
Folks act like losing at the tail end of your career doesn’t impact legacy, but we’ve seen otherwise!

Right now, Stipe.

Better chance to win and Stipe has the record of HW goat. Merited or not, he's largely given that title.

However, in hindsight it may end up that Tom would be the better name to have on your record.

There's a good chance Tom will retire having won more HW title defences than Stipe. Its only 3 to beat and there aren't any HWs around who have Tom's combination of size, athleticism and well roundedness.

Gane has the size and athletic ability but glaring holes in his MMA game
Pavlovich is like a pound shop Tom. Similar size and build. Maybe more power. Less athleticism, less skilled in all areas really.

You could do the same for all heavies. Tom doesn’t really have any weaknesses. Looks good to great in every element: size, physicality, mentality, power, striking, grappling. Everyone else has clear flaws.

Jon probably sees Stipe as all upside. Take his legacy with less chance of loss.

Tom has less legacy to absorb than Stipe now (probably not once he retires) and a far better chance of beating Jon. Jon is maybe worried Tom beats him. I mean he isn't likely to grapplefuck a massive guy like Yom.

So Stipe the clear choice now in risk v reward.

If you want the biggest historical win and think you beat both. Probably fight Tom as that is likely to age so, so we'll.

But I voted Stipe given current context.

Jon probably wants to avoid a loss on his record above all else at this point. Stipe also arguably still has more name recognition with fans, meaning more money.

As much as I hate Jon Jones, there's no reason for him to accept a fight with Aspinall unless he's forced to by the UFC. That's why if Aspinall wins and Jones still fights Stipe, all of the hate should be directed towards Dana White. Because ultimately it's Dana's decision.

I hope Stipe will Serra Jones, but it probably won´t happen.

Jon probably wants to avoid a loss on his record above all else at this point. Stipe also arguably still has more name recognition with fans, meaning more money.

As much as I hate Jon Jones, there's no reason for him to accept a fight with Aspinall unless he's forced to by the UFC. That's why if Aspinall wins and Jones still fights Stipe, all of the hate should be directed towards Dana White. Because ultimately it's Dana's decision.
Some of you are far too angry

Back