Rumored If Stipe is injured, will Jon face the music against the "official" backup Tom?

Months? Is the fight not next month?
It has been known Tom would be the back up for a LONG time already.

Jon dropping out of the main event for no reason would be disasterous for his reputation considering how long he's already held up the belt.

Stipe already stated the injury talk was nonsense and false.

But Lets play along,

There is no way Stipe would not be fighting on this card even if true.. There is too much money on the line. Jones is said to be making 15 million and Stipe is going to make a good bit of coin.

For the money Stipe is going to make I would fist fight a hungry lion with two broken legs.

Last edited:
Anyone notice how bad Blaydes sounds talking about stipe vs Jon fight…he literally sounds like he’s struggling to put his words together I hope he’s ok. He doesn’t sound good in that clip (8min mark).

Also Jon will fight if he’s healthy there’s a tremendous purse on the line for him. He seems to be in fantastic shape, this is incomparable to the Chael debacle since he’s getting like 10-15x the fight purse for this your tripping if you think the greatest MMA fighter of all time is pulling out of this prize fight.

Now we know that Jon didn't take that fight against Chael short notice, but Tom was announced as the backup fighter MONTHS in advance so Jon couldn't wriggle his way out.

Could you imagine the fan backlash if Jon didn't take that fight and that was the last we heard of him? It would be yet another huge asterisks on his legacy.

That would be outright ducking the interim champ.

Pav was the backup fighter, not Aspinall. And Jon is the one who got injured and couldn’t fight regardless of who the backup fighter was which was for him who was out.

Also do you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s not know that Jon instead fought TRTVitor 3 weeks later? If he’s healthy he’ll fight, if he’s not not he won’t.

Why?

Jones gets to eat greatness if he conquers Stipe.

Stipe beats Bones -- and his greatness is elevated.

Aspinall is no where near "Greatness". So, the Risk-Reward is different -- especially as he is dangerous.
Jon is fighting Stipe because he’s the only other guy who’s ever beaten DC.

I don’t know how so many people keep missing this.

Aspinall is healthy and ready to go, regardless of who bails out of the fight.

I would love to watch Dana try to explain away the reigning, defending and healthy Interim HW champ being onsite and ready to fight but the UFC having to cancel the fight instead.

As per Jon and Dana, he's the greatest ever to do it, right? If Jon is healthy, ready-to-go on a full camp, having trained with wrestling and BJJ all-stars and dietary gurus... and he still refuses to fight Tom because Stipe pulls out... there is nothing that can explain that away.

Jon's the champ, it's his job to defend the title. Two HW's (let alone two HW champs) will be ready to go, and at least one of them will have the balls and want to fight that night. At that point, Jon shouldn't even have a fucking choice. There is absolutely no reason, or no tricks that Miocic can bring to the table that Jones hasn't seen before, so any "I would have trained differently for Tom instead" is nothing but a fucking cop out.
Here’s another one who’s been waiting since 2008 for Jon to lose

Pav was the backup fighter, not Aspinall. And Jon is the one who got injured and couldn’t fight regardless of who the backup fighter was which was for him who was out.

Also do you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s not know that Jon instead fought TRTVitor 3 weeks later? If he’s healthy he’ll fight, if he’s not not he won’t.
So he fought a middleweight and almost got subbed?

Anyone notice how bad Blaydes sounds talking about stipe vs Jon fight…he literally sounds like he’s struggling to put his words together I hope he’s ok. He doesn’t sound good in that clip (8min mark).

Also Jon will fight if he’s healthy there’s a tremendous purse on the line for him. He seems to be in fantastic shape, this is incomparable to the Chael debacle since he’s getting like 10-15x the fight purse for this your tripping if you think the greatest MMA fighter of all time is pulling out of this prize fight.

Blaydes has a speech impediment bro

Stipe already stated the injury talk was nonsense and false.

But Lets play along,

There is no way Stipe would not be fighting on this card even if true.. There is too much money on the line. Jones is said to be making 15 million and Stipe is going to make a good bit of coin.

For the money Stipe is going to make I would fist fight a hungry lion with two broken legs.

There has been only one time Stipe pulled out of a fight, because of a herniated disc and back spasms so bad he couldn't bend down to tie his own shoes. He couldn't travel to the venue, much less fight there. And people think a supposed hitch in his step is going to make him do it? They think he's gonna suffer through fight camp — a SECOND camp, mind you — then pull up and say "Nah, ain't feelin' it, how about next year?"

It's ridiculous!

Only slightly less ridiculous are people watching clips and saying he's crippled. Stipe's a little bow-legged, always has been, and has a bit of a rolling gait. I'll grant that maybe he's moving a little slower and it's more noticeable now. But to interpret it as limping? How would he pass the physical ability tests and stay a firefighter if he limped?

EDIT Like the guy below that says Stipe "can barely walk and has a broken body." I guess I should be charitable and say it's the usual forum hyperbole, but it's tiring.

Last edited:
Stipe is there for the paycheck. He can barely walk and has a broken body, he will make it to the fight even if he had to come in a wheelchair! It's really just for the big paycheck, not about winning or fighting for him.

Vitor is a MW dude.

Um contrary to what everyone is saying. Jon looks like he’s in killer shape. I would not at all be surprised in him having the confidence, having had a great camp and being ready to fight, accepting the Aspinal fight and whipping Aspinal’s ass.

Aspinal’s a back up who probably hasn’t been taking this as seriously as he would have if it had been a certain booking, and Jon is looking ready to kill. He should take the fight and fuck Aspinal up.

Um contrary to what everyone is saying. Jon looks like he’s in killer shape. I would not at all be surprised in him having the confidence, having had a great camp and being ready to fight, accepting the Aspinal fight and whipping Aspinal’s ass.

Aspinal’s a back up who probably hasn’t been taking this as seriously as he would have if it had been a certain booking, and Jon is looking ready to kill. He should take the fight and fuck Aspinal up.
Jon ain't fighting Aspinall under any circumstance.

So was Chael you guys are bitching he ducked by insteading fighting TRTVitor 3 weeks later.

Can’t at all take you seriously when you’re obviously just simply pissed Jon beat one or more of your favourite fighters over the last 15 years
How does that help your argument? Jones has the reach of HW and he was fighting MW's and small LHW's for most of his career. The couple times he fought tall guys with decent TDD he arguably lost.

Chael is not really relevant here either. I only brought him up in the OP to show Jon never took that fight because he had no preperation. In Tom's case he's known he would be the backup for a looong time and should be ready.

We both know he'll run from Tom far and fast though, and we all know why that is.

Back