Getting rid of social networking?

The world should have ended in 2012

I only used twitter and mostly for news.
I've had that account since late 2009 and have less than 300 tweets, many of which are retweets. So I don't use it that much.

Oh yeah, and a fake facebook to watch UFC prelims. Plus, and instagram because you can only use the filters if you make an account.

I don't even tell people about my social networking accounts because I don't care if anyone follows me or not because I barely use them to interact.

I started FB in college when it was strictly a college network. Now I more or less keep it to stay in touch with those same college friends.

People with more than one miserable post a week get axed, so my page stays pretty informative and drama free for the most part. I kept the people who mix in articles and health tips etc. so its still worth it to scroll my feed.

Has anyone ever done this? If you use/used facebook or twitter, have you ever just deleted your account for awhile to regroup?

I was working 60 hrs a week this summer, and thought that when school started, I'd just jump right in. I was so antsy to be back in the class room and get reading done that I figured I'd start devouring books.
Instead, I've found it hard to concentrate and get work done. A few days ago I had my fiance change my password and delete my account so I could avoiding dilly-dallying on facebook. Sherdog and twitter aren't such issues for me, but a vast majority of my friends dont live in the same state/country as me, so I use FB quite often to converse, share articles, papers, or whatever else. It's a helpful tool, I was just having a tough time moderating myself for some reason. It's obnoxiously addictive and mindless, which is what I want when I need to read a dense book.

Getting rid of FB has been helpful thus far. Oddly enough, my apartment is cleaner, I'm on my computer less, and I'm getting reading done far easier than I was.

Anywho, has anyone ever done this? Just get rid of the FB or whatever to give yourself some time to get shit done?

It's a time sink, nothing more. People are generally social and like to talk about themselves other people, things they are interested in. Sounds like you're getting ready to spend 90% of your human interaction with your fiancee and losing contact with your single friends.

It's a time sink, nothing more. People are generally social and like to talk about themselves other people, things they are interested in. Sounds like you're getting ready to spend 90% of your human interaction with your fiancee and losing contact with your single friends.

sounds like I probably didn't give you enough information about my social life for you make an educated assertion.

I'm with friends 10x more than I am with the lady. And that's not an exaggeration.

Social networking doesn't control my life, nor should it control anybody else's life.

Develop some willpower.

i think social networks are good in small doses

Thinking of deleting it. It's making me depressed.

Been off facebook for about 3 years. Now i just waste my life on Sherdog.

FB is for kids and stalkers....and stalking kids......or kid stalkers

FB is fine is you use it correctly.

Don't accept friend requests from people you don't know. If you've accepted one from somebody who abuses the site or posts too much or only stupid shit, hide their posts from your feed.

Don't "like" any silly business, even if you do like that business. You may looooove the King of Beers, but do you really need to see what Budweiser posts on their FB account? Some may be helpful, like if your gym posts class times or something like that. But for the most part, you don't want to willingly expose yourself to more advertising than necessary.

So, what you're left with is just the people and things you actually care about. I don't care how cool or above the fray you think you are, there is somebody (probably dozens) on Facebook that you DO care to keep in touch with that post relevant stuff on there. Now you simply check your feed when you take a shit and see what's up with this little FB world you've created. It doesn't take long, I can get through a full days worth of posts from my friends/family in about 5 minutes. Maybe 8.

Then if you want to throw a pic on there or some funny quip, knock yourself out. I'd keep that to a minimum though, there's not much to be gained by letting the world know you hate Mondays. Keep your posts half way meaningful.
Liked and shared.

Too bad most users don't know how to use it and some are just unwilling to filter their feeds (but, but, but Facebook has to do all the filtering for me!). :icon_lol:

FB is a very nice and useful tool if used properly, but it can become quite addictive as well, in which case it's better to get rid of it but, then again, when you're addicted to something that's easier said than done.

Have fb and just made a twitter and instagram last week.

It's not that bad of a time sink (yet). I like keeping in touch with people, especially when I'm just waiting on people/public transit and would otherwise be bored. When I get home I usually spend the time with the gf, on games, homework, etc.

Have a FB i barely use and that's it.

Don't accept friend requests from people you don't know.....

"Hello my name is Bob"
"Well Bob... I don't want to talk to you unless I know you. Sorry."

Reminds me of Steven Wright
"My doctor said I shouldn't work out until I'm in better shape."

"Hello my name is Bob"
"Well Bob... I don't want to talk to you unless I know you. Sorry."

Reminds me of Steven Wright
"My doctor said I shouldn't work out until I'm in better shape."

Well I never approached Facebook as a place to make new friends. Was always a place to keep in touch with old and existing friends. Even friend requests from people I know, if they are mere acquaintances and not really friends at all, it gets ignored.

this is how you keep facebook relevant. Otherwise it becomes unwieldy and pisses you off, as evidenced by the large amount of people in this thread who have turned their backs on it. It's probably because they are "forced" to read too many updates from people they don't like at all, or don't care about. I'm saying it doesn't need to be like that..."unfriend" and "hide" are, incidentally, your best friends on Facebook!

Back