Getting rid of social networking?

I rarely use mine. Check it maybe two times a week. But for some reason I cannot bring myself to outright deleting it.

FB is fine is you use it correctly.

Don't accept friend requests from people you don't know. If you've accepted one from somebody who abuses the site or posts too much or only stupid shit, hide their posts from your feed.

Don't "like" any silly business, even if you do like that business. You may looooove the King of Beers, but do you really need to see what Budweiser posts on their FB account? Some may be helpful, like if your gym posts class times or something like that. But for the most part, you don't want to willingly expose yourself to more advertising than necessary.

So, what you're left with is just the people and things you actually care about. I don't care how cool or above the fray you think you are, there is somebody (probably dozens) on Facebook that you DO care to keep in touch with that post relevant stuff on there. Now you simply check your feed when you take a shit and see what's up with this little FB world you've created. It doesn't take long, I can get through a full days worth of posts from my friends/family in about 5 minutes. Maybe 8.

Then if you want to throw a pic on there or some funny quip, knock yourself out. I'd keep that to a minimum though, there's not much to be gained by letting the world know you hate Mondays. Keep your posts half way meaningful.

I've never had a Facebook or Twitter account ,never used any kind of instant messages either

I did have a myspace account almost 10 years ago,but that didn't last long

I still use facebook daily *Walks out of thread*

facebook has fizzled like crazy compared to a few years back. Still some activity, but nowhere near as active.

like happyhaha says, it's a journal at this point.

I've never had a Facebook account, anyone worth talking to or texting is in my phone, facebook is pointless to me... why send a invite through facebook for the world to see when a text can ask the same. The attention whoring is sickening.

While I consider myself a huge computer geek, I never got into Social Networking/Media.

My life was never interesting enough to put online, and quite frankly, I am not particularly compelled to follow the mundane lives of others.

The people I wan't in my life, I talk to on a regular basis. No need to keep in touch with my locker buddy from Grade 6.

While I consider myself a huge computer geek, I never got into Social Networking/Media.

My life was never interesting enough to put online, and quite frankly, I am not particularly compelled to follow the mundane lives of others.

The people I wan't in my life, I talk to on a regular basis. No need to keep in touch with my locker buddy from Grade 6.

while this is fine and dandy, FB and other social media are the best places to share photos... I'm kinda big on photography, and sharing photos is one aspect of my hobby.

Photos are pretty much the best thing about social media, not how someone feels on a given day.

Has anyone ever done this? If you use/used facebook or twitter, have you ever just deleted your account for awhile to regroup?

I was working 60 hrs a week this summer, and thought that when school started, I'd just jump right in. I was so antsy to be back in the class room and get reading done that I figured I'd start devouring books.
Instead, I've found it hard to concentrate and get work done. A few days ago I had my fiance change my password and delete my account so I could avoiding dilly-dallying on facebook. Sherdog and twitter aren't such issues for me, but a vast majority of my friends dont live in the same state/country as me, so I use FB quite often to converse, share articles, papers, or whatever else. It's a helpful tool, I was just having a tough time moderating myself for some reason. It's obnoxiously addictive and mindless, which is what I want when I need to read a dense book.

Getting rid of FB has been helpful thus far. Oddly enough, my apartment is cleaner, I'm on my computer less, and I'm getting reading done far easier than I was.

Anywho, has anyone ever done this? Just get rid of the FB or whatever to give yourself some time to get shit done?

I'm not interested in spending the rest of my life looking at the holiday snaps of every person I've ever had the misfortune of being introduced to at a party, so no, I don't use Facebook.

I spend too much time on Sherdog though and when I see people with post counts that are multiples of mine I do wonder how they get anything done.

while this is fine and dandy, FB and other social media are the best places to share photos... I'm kinda big on photography, and sharing photos is one aspect of my hobby.

Photos are pretty much the best thing about social media, not how someone feels on a given day.

Yeah, the one thing I miss is all the selfies and other great photography Facebook is synonymous with.

Yeah, the one thing I miss is all the selfies and other great photography Facebook is synonymous with.

yeah, kinda ridiculous with the selfies, but they're much more tame now. Not nearly as often.

I pretty much got back in after a few friends asked about my photos.... I had deleted my FB account for 2 years, so had to make a new one and add friends from scratch. I dont have the app on my phone, so it's not that bothersome to check.

Social media and other internet fixtures are definitely the cause of a lot of wasted time, as are video games. I still have a FB but it's essentially just to watch prelims and "like" a few pages from authors and news sites that I like, no friends. I found when I had it I was a little compulsive with checking and replying to messages, etc. As soon as I realized how egoistic and vain the whole thing is I deleted.
Now if I can give up MJ and video games too I'll be set. lol

I don't have any facebook, or twitter or any of that.

Cant say it makes any difference for me.

They are huge time wasters, Sherdog is no different btw. But if you think you can make every minute of your life productive you are wrong, i tried it, it didn't work.

Twitter/Instagram is only good for checking out Arianny's latest bikini shoot or what Brittney just had for lunch.

Back in my day... Everyone used facebook except me. And I liked it!!!
And yes I know every other kid in school has a phone except you, little one. Deal with it.
*me to my kiddos

I have a...

- Facebook (since 2007)
- Tumblr (since 2010)
- Twitter (since 2010, actually only used since mid 2013)
- Instagram (since 2012)

I don't use them a whole lot though. I used to waste a lot of time on FB during high school but since then I just kind of check it once in awhile for any notifications/msgs and respond if there are any then go do something else.

Tumblr is fun, I re-blog some photos every once in awhile. Not everyday but once every couple days.

Twitter was never used till the summer, now I find it fairly interesting for news-related things or interesting people.

Instagram is checked maybe once a day. I hardly post pictures.

So obviously I am influenced by social media but it's yet to really affect my personal life negatively, so until it does I should be fine.

I've deleted my facebook account. (officially)
I've never had twitter. Nor instagram.

And I don't feel sorry for it.

Back