Getting rid of social networking?

Spoken

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? If you use/used facebook or twitter, have you ever just deleted your account for awhile to regroup?

I was working 60 hrs a week this summer, and thought that when school started, I'd just jump right in. I was so antsy to be back in the class room and get reading done that I figured I'd start devouring books.
Instead, I've found it hard to concentrate and get work done. A few days ago I had my fiance change my password and delete my account so I could avoiding dilly-dallying on facebook. Sherdog and twitter aren't such issues for me, but a vast majority of my friends dont live in the same state/country as me, so I use FB quite often to converse, share articles, papers, or whatever else. It's a helpful tool, I was just having a tough time moderating myself for some reason. It's obnoxiously addictive and mindless, which is what I want when I need to read a dense book.

Getting rid of FB has been helpful thus far. Oddly enough, my apartment is cleaner, I'm on my computer less, and I'm getting reading done far easier than I was.

Anywho, has anyone ever done this? Just get rid of the FB or whatever to give yourself some time to get shit done?

Only friendless folk use facebook, MySpace etc.

I used to have a Facebook. deleted that crap in June and I'll never make one again.

edit: I don't use any of the other main social medias either. (Instagram, Twitter, ect)
Most of my internet time is spent on Sherdog. I also have an Imgur account to save my favorite posts, and a Reddit account to remove all the garbage defaults from the front page. Don't have a post on either of those sites though.

Yeah, I deleted FB a fair while back due to procrastination issues. Turned out I just started lurking of Sherdog a bunch more. Go figure.

have no FB, twitter, instagram. Don't even own a mobile phone. Life is good.

I've often thought the same thing, except replace Facebook with Sherdog. This place is a fucking time sink.

By your post count and join date, i'm surprised you're not dropping Sherdog instead. I'm sure you spend way more time on Sherdog than Facebook. Hell, drop both and you may be productive enough to become president of the United States! Godspeed sir.

Facebook seems to be fizzling out. I still have an account but it hasn't been used in awhile. I can see it being practical for some people, but I've never really cared for it.

Deleted my FB after i broke up with my GF of 4 years.

Will never make another one. Now that I don't have one, its just stupid.

I have my Sherdog account and a Reddit account and that's it

Ditched FB a couple of years ago, wasn't really big on it anyways.

I thought it's a good tool for advertising online business and keep in touch with friends outside the country...fortunately I don't forget myself online, I just check quickly and turn the computer off)

Has anyone ever done this? If you use/used facebook or twitter, have you ever just deleted your account for awhile to regroup?

I was working 60 hrs a week this summer, and thought that when school started, I'd just jump right in. I was so antsy to be back in the class room and get reading done that I figured I'd start devouring books.
Instead, I've found it hard to concentrate and get work done. A few days ago I had my fiance change my password and delete my account so I could avoiding dilly-dallying on facebook. Sherdog and twitter aren't such issues for me, but a vast majority of my friends dont live in the same state/country as me, so I use FB quite often to converse, share articles, papers, or whatever else. It's a helpful tool, I was just having a tough time moderating myself for some reason. It's obnoxiously addictive and mindless, which is what I want when I need to read a dense book.

Getting rid of FB has been helpful thus far. Oddly enough, my apartment is cleaner, I'm on my computer less, and I'm getting reading done far easier than I was.

Anywho, has anyone ever done this? Just get rid of the FB or whatever to give yourself some time to get shit done?

Yes, I just went back on FB after 3 months off of it to focus on my physical health. Like you, most of the people I know are long-distance, so it was nice to reconnect... but I'm already thinking about how much I'm going to be using it and limiting that time.

none of my friends use AIM anymore, gchat sucks, i hate texting and talking on the phone, so facebook still has some value for me.

and no, i never deleted a profile. i probably still have the myspace i used for stalker sluts back in '04. they always made it too much of a bother to delete em.

I've thought about deleting the fb profile. I rarely go on there anymore. It's the same boring bullshit every day. I don't care what your kid said, what you ate for dinner, or how you're way happier than you ex that dumped you, or what your stance on gun control is.

The ONLY thing I actually like about it, is that when I used to be on it often, now I can look back and remember shit I'd forgotten all about. It's kind of like a journal. And I was pissed when the new myspace deleted everybody's old shit. That was like a little time capsule for me.

Back