Social Gallup: What If There Were 42 Million at the Border?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by thefirstemporer, Feb 10, 2019.

1. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

Doesn't matter , people should be able to travel the earth freely. A thousand years from now, our ancestor's will laugh that we had borders. Especially if we are traveling the cosmos.

2. phoenixikki

phoenixikki Brown Belt

Manipulative propaganda at its finest.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

He does has a point, wanting to do shit, and actually doing it are pretty different things.

How many people do you think would respond positively to "Do you want to lose weight".

Latin America, (outside of Venezuela) is nowhere near the shithole status of said countries, even in the shitholiest places of Latin America (outside of Venezuela) you can easily migrate internally to another place before thinking about moving further away.

4. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Did you ever heard Cain speak spanish?

Or more like common sense.

5. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

I am not one of those people that thinks Latin America is not safe even for tourists. Clearly, though, there are still people that want to come here for the economic opportunity if nothing else. I just giving examples of places where many people who say they want to go somewhere, will actually follow through as there is a history of it.

6. hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87 Gold Belt

Since when has America been "just another" anything? The fuck outta here.

7. Fearthekhabib

Fearthekhabib Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Im in America. If I could move to Australia I would

Sohei likes this.
  8. VivaRevolution

VivaRevolution Whoopin' Belt

Funny you say this. I am wondering if the reason we talk of a wall instead of E-verify, other then the fact that the chamber of commerce doesn't actually want to solve illegal immigration, is that it throws shade for Israel's internationally recognized illegal walls.

9. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Red Belt

How many immigrants am I willing to accept?

'bout tree fiddy.

10. Prefect

Prefect Brown Belt

What if tomorrow I woke up tomorrow with a 12 inch dick? Did you consider that? No? That is what I thought.

TheGZA and BermudaTriangl like this.
  11. tonni

tonni Red Belt

Not jesus from Puerto Rico

M3t4tr0n likes this.
  12. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

No. I lambasted the TS taking the poll as an indication about illegal immigrant anything. See, when you read the link he included, it's not about 42 million people wanting to illegally enter the country (it's not even about 5 million wanting to enter illegally). It's not about illegal immigration at all. But the TS's writing is about illegal immigration.

The point of the thread is to take a Gallup poll about immigration policy and messaging and reduce it to a conversation about illegal immigration. Mocking the thread doesn't mean I missed the point - it means I think the point is stupid.

nac386 and Rod1 like this.
  13. Rational Poster

Rational Poster Scourge of the War Room Banned

So basically make pretend?

nac386 and panamaican like this.
  14. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

You are giving examples of people with nothing to lose who are fleeing sectarian violence, state repression and war.

Economic migrants move elsewhere to improve their lot in life, but its a big chance that not always pays off, so its not as easy.

If someone asked me "Would you like to move elsewhere?" i would probably say yes and i would probably say the States (Canada is too cold, plus the US has guns). But that would only really happen if someone offered me a great fucking job out of nowhere, something that its not going to happen.

Why are there still people left in Alabama or Mississipi? why are people still left on rural America? if it was all about economic opportunity then everyone would had left already isnt?

The thing is that people are not really fond on change until its forced on them, like how the dust bowl forced farmers to migrate.

panamaican likes this.
  15. panamaican

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the claim that many of the 42 million Latin Americans who would move if they could would enter the US illegally is not supported by anything. We estimate that we have ~400k people entering the country illegally annually. That's 1% of the 42 million Latin Americans who would move if they could, that is not many of them. It's a miniscule percentage of them (and that 400k isn't even all Latin Americans).

16. squeezewax

squeezewax Brown Belt

The thing that makes me laugh is the fact that someone can say they're an asylum seeker and they end up with a little ticket that tells them to turn up to court in 3yrs time.[or something like that amount of time.]
    Who on earth came up with that and how was it passed? It's ludicrous and that needs to be changed.

17. Rational Poster

Rational Poster Scourge of the War Room Banned

Then you also have to figure around half of that 400K figure are visa overstays and at least some of the remaining illegal entries enter through areas that already have walls or through a regular port of entry.

So maybe 100K are entering through areas that have no walls or any kind of enhanced security.

panamaican likes this.
  18. panamaican

Exactly.

The Gallup CEO makes the relevant point that we need to decide what our immigration policy and goals are and then make that message clear both to U.S. citizens and to foreigners who are considering coming here. But of course, you can't have that conversation without the usual reductionist conversation to some variant of "OMG illegal immigrants are going to overrun the borders".

Rational Poster likes this.
  19. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

[​IMG]

Can someone shoop them to make them brown so its more applicable

Fawlty likes this.
  20. Possum Jenkins

Possum Jenkins Cultural Marxism Belt

Exactly. Venezuela has lost something like 10% of its total population in the last few years.

But I don't see millions of poor Venezuelans just pouring into the US. Instead, they're going to Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Brazil by the millions. This should be shocking news to the bigoted crowd that assumes that the US is the default destination of anyone that so much as has a bad day at work in their native country and wants a change.

Furthermore, crossing into the US through various means is so easy for Mexicans that any of the ones that want to migrate have already done so.