Francis says he left at least 7 million on the table

It was definitely not 7 mill for 1 fight. But probably for the next 5-6 fights. If they let Conor do it why not Francis.
I think they're tired of seeing their fighters go Box and get KO'd, I get where Francis is coming from, but I get why they don't want their contracted fighters Boxing anymore. Especially when Francis vs Fury wouldn't even be that big of a fight, and it sounds like he doesn't even want them involved the way the UFC was with Showtime.

But 1.5 million(or whatever million dollar figure it is), is still NOT 500k. That was literally the issue I kept reading "hOw dOeS fRaNcIs mAkE tHe sAme aS gAnE???"

Its not rocket science.
Sure, but when you're talking fighter pay from a birds eye view (aka this discussion), it's a pretty insignificant difference. As in for an event that does $25 million, that's a difference of 2 percent vs 6 percent on event revenue for the guys driving most of the buys. Peanuts, economically speaking. Especially when compared to HW boxing in the top 10.

Sure, but when you're talking fighter pay from a birds eye view (aka this discussion), it's a pretty insignificant difference. As in for an event that does $25 million, that's a difference of 2 percent vs 6 percent on event revenue for the guys driving most of the buys. Peanuts, economically speaking. Especially when compared to HW boxing in the top 10.

Lets stick to the specific thread topic. I'm not here to argue this fighter pay issue for the billionth time. Comparing a boxing model to the UFC which is closer to some WWE model means nothing to me. Ngannou is free to making a billion dollars for all I care. The world is his oyster after he leaves.

What I am simply saying is that fighters usually do not give fans the full story for these negotiations(Jones did the same thing with vague details on what he actually wanted).

The simple litmus test was people were led to believe that Ngannou is getting paid 500k because thats all the UFC will give him when the reality is he would be factually paid millions. It's a better sympathy play saying 500k is bullshit pay over a few million is bullshit pay.

TLDR; If your going to use fans for sympathy then give the fans the exact numbers instead of leading them to think its worse than it is.

Lets stick to the specific thread topic. I'm not here to argue this fighter pay issue for the billionth time. Comparing a boxing model to the UFC which is closer to some WWE model means nothing to me. Ngannou is free to making a billion dollars for all I care. The world is his oyster.

What I am simply saying is that fighters usually do not give fans the full story for these negotiations(Jones did the same thing with vague details on what he actually wanted).

The simple litmus test was people were led to believe that Ngannou is getting paid 500k because thats all the UFC will give him when the reality is he would be factually paid millions. It's a better sympathy play saying 500k is bullshit pay over a few million is bullshit pay.

TLDR; If your going to use fans for sympathy then give the fans the exact numbers instead of leading them to think its worse than it is.
Yeah, that's why I usually try to not get too opinionated about stuff like this where we don't know the specifics. Think of all the pointless arguments people had based on the idea that Francis was getting 600k for this fight, that being said Francis didn't have to admit the UFC offered him 7 million so I don't think he is trying to manipulate the fans, his management is a different story.

Think of all the pointless arguments people had based on the idea that Francis was getting 600k for this fight, that being said Francis didn't have to admit the UFC offered him 7 million so I don't think he is trying to manipulate the fans, his management is a different story.

Francis prior to the fight said 500k was bullshit pay which led a lot of fans to think thats why he was leaving because UFC would only pay 500k for the HW champ which was never the case at all. Big difference saying "oh yeah I would be up 7 million right now" lmao

Francis prior to the fight said 500k was bullshit pay which led a lot of fans to think thats why he was leaving because UFC would only pay 500k for the HW champ which was never the case at all.
Oh I didn't know that, it's a PR battle between the UFC and the fighter they're negotiating against. Yeah, that's a bullshit thing to do, but so is the UFC saying Francis wanted a vacation, and all the other bullshit they put out there to manipulate the fans into being against a certain fighter.

Francis prior to the fight said 500k was bullshit pay which led a lot of fans to think thats why he was leaving because UFC would only pay 500k for the HW champ which was never the case at all. Big difference saying "oh yeah I would be up 7 million right now" lmao
It’s not his fault a huge chunk of mma fans are fucking idiots.

Interesting to hear the UFC actually did offer him quite a bit of money to resign with them, I'm not sure if he means 7 million for just the Gane fight or if that was the entire contract, but it sounds like money isn't the issue for Francis, this whole thing is over him wanting to Box while under contract with the UFC.

I want Francis to do whatever is best for him, but damn, seems pretty crazy to pass up that money to have the "freedom" to fight for other promotions while still under contract with the UFC, kinda crazy IMO he really expects them to allow their contracted fighters to fight for other people lol.

Edit: After listening to the entire interview I understand Francis's perspective better, it's not only about wanting to Box, it's about the tactics the UFC uses to control their fighters in general. This is one of the most interesting stories in MMA I can remember, nobody has really stood up to the UFC like this.

I hope it all works out for Francis in the end, this man is risking his chance to be financially set for life over his principles, which is more than can be said for all the other champs that have come and gone, you gotta respect what he's trying to do.

Wanting to box means it’s about the money. Not liking the tactics means not liking being blocked from getting the money.

If they offer to let him box but cap his purse at double what he makes in the UFC, he won’t take it

If they offer him the exact same money he’s been offered to box but without actually boxing, he will take it.

If they continue with the same tactics for a week and then give him what he’s asked for, he will take it immediately.

Nothing is wrong with that, but it always boils down to the money.

Wanting to box means it’s about the money. Not liking the tactics means not liking being blocked from getting the money.

If they offer to let him box but cap his purse at double what he makes in the UFC, he won’t take it

If they offer him the exact same money he’s been offered to box but without actually boxing, he will take it.

If they continue with the same tactics for a week and then give him what he’s asked for, he will take it immediately.

Nothing is wrong with that, but it always boils down to the money.
It comes down to money to an extent, but I really believe even if he got offered what he would get to Box he wouldn't take it based on the current way his contract is set up. A big part of it is being considered an independent contractor while not actually being an independent contractor.

Francis left a ton of money on the table by fighting once per year while in his prime. Why do you have to take 10 months off after you knock a guy out in the first 20 seconds? Now, how long will it be before he's back from having his knee repaired? The dude is already 35 years old, and even that being his real age is questionable. If you want to get rich via the UFC, you have to strike while the iron is hot by showing up every 6 months, performing well, and keeping your name is the headlines like McGregor did and whaddya know, Dana gave him a free pass to fight Mayweather and McG made $100M

Another diva complaining about money while making millions.

Fighters like that come and go but the UFC will continue on. Hope he just gets cut so the HW title is not held up for another year.

He will be begging to come back

The guy who takes my order at McDonalds probably works hard for 30 grand a year while the owner of mcdonalds makes hundreds of millions of dollars. That is just the way it goes. I cant find myself to have sympathy for someone who is a millionaire

UFC better get a new front guy soon -Daneer dont give aF if they crash and burn and this is a PR nightmare for ESPN/UFC. On one hand you got snot nosed Jake Paul with a huge following of UFC's target future market calling them out and on the other a very soft and well spoken UFC proclaimed "Baddest Man on the Planet" claiming he's not well taken care of. Up against an obstinate F like Dana White - UFC dont stand a chance. Ill enjoy the crash as I love the sport - not the brand

Interesting to hear the UFC actually did offer him quite a bit of money to resign with them, I'm not sure if he means 7 million for just the Gane fight or if that was the entire contract, but it sounds like money isn't the issue for Francis, this whole thing is over him wanting to Box while under contract with the UFC.

I want Francis to do whatever is best for him, but damn, seems pretty crazy to pass up that money to have the "freedom" to fight for other promotions while still under contract with the UFC, kinda crazy IMO he really expects them to allow their contracted fighters to fight for other people lol.

Edit: After listening to the entire interview I understand Francis's perspective better, it's not only about wanting to Box, it's about the tactics the UFC uses to control their fighters in general. This is one of the most interesting stories in MMA I can remember, nobody has really stood up to the UFC like this.

I hope it all works out for Francis in the end, this man is risking his chance to be financially set for life over his principles, which is more than can be said for all the other champs that have come and gone, you gotta respect what he's trying to do.

Why not?

Absolutely fascinating. People are sleeping on this interview big time. This might be the type of move that initiates a fighter pay movement, that will be remembered as a turning poiny long after francis is gone.

Back