Media Francis Ngannou on the problems between himself and the UFC

I find it incredible how fighters might think that airing dirty laundry in public will end with a happy ending.

He could simply relinquish the belt

If it was that simple other champions wouldve done it. His contract is automatically extended with or without the belt. I'd imagine Francis would have to drop the belt and fight out the remainder of his contract which I assume is at least 3 fights after the extension

it's the Max Holloway approach. before Max got his first title shot, he was constantly being passed over. i'm pretty sure he has the longest win streak of any UFC fighter to not get a title shot. he went on some crazy 9-10 win streak before he even smelled a title shot. then they made him fight the champion twice, once in the champs home country. lots of UFC fighters and fans would've looked at that as unfair treatment, and it was, but he didn't complain. he just kept his nose to the grind stone and kept winning. he knew, if you keep winning they can't deny you.
I am a huge fan of Max, butI am really not sure he is the model to follow in career management, considering the damage accumulated compared to his career earnings.

Ngannou is in a perfect position to do that. his division is weak, he's destroyed most of the contenders, all he needs to do is beat Gane and literally the only fight that would make sense for him is Jon Jones. after that, the sky is the limit if he gets that fight and wins it. he'd have defeated arguably the greatest MMA fighter of all time. that's something that he can use to market himself and his brand.
Sure but look at his POV: if he signs what the UFC wants him to sign, he may very well be stuck with whatever they want to offer him. He had 1 fight a year the past 2 years because they kept him on the backburner while managing the Stipe-DC trilogy. It's understandable he doesn't want that again.
Right now he is the champ, but if he loses to Gane (very possible it's a tough fight) and is locked in a long contract, he may have a miserable career. If he loses to Gane and becomes a free agent, he has options.

Imagine expecting a champion to defend his belt only 4 1/2 months after fighting two rounds and sustaining zero damage. The UFC are a bunch of unreasonable slave drivers!

At that rate there could be almost three title defenses per year in a single division. No way! Who would want that? It's pure insanity!

Imagine expecting a champion to defend his belt only 4 1/2 months after fighting two rounds and sustaining zero damage. The UFC are a bunch of unreasonable slave drivers!
Imagine making an interim belt because 5 1/2 months instead of 4 1/2 month is too much of a delay.

I find it incredible how fighters might think that airing dirty laundry in public will end with a happy ending.
So the UFC shitting on fighters and lying about them to promote a fight is fine. But the fighter telling the truth in return is "airing the dirty laundry in public".
Sure..

His manager should know if he'll be a free agent or not. Makes talks like this easier. Gives him certainty and clarity for future plans. General rule is champ clause. If he loses of course that stops. Win some, throw some type of deal can come up.

what i meant by the future is uncertain, is that he could become a draw. instead of focusing on trying to fight the UFC, which never works, he should focus on trying to become a bigger draw. that's the only way that any fighter has ever gained leverage over the UFC, or at least some negotiating power.

it's the Max Holloway approach. before Max got his first title shot, he was constantly being passed over. i'm pretty sure he has the longest win streak of any UFC fighter to not get a title shot. he went on some crazy 9-10 win streak before he even smelled a title shot. then they made him fight the champion twice, once in the champs home country. lots of UFC fighters and fans would've looked at that as unfair treatment, and it was, but he didn't complain. he just kept his nose to the grind stone and kept winning. he knew, if you keep winning they can't deny you.

Ngannou is in a perfect position to do that. his division is weak, he's destroyed most of the contenders, all he needs to do is beat Gane and literally the only fight that would make sense for him is Jon Jones. after that, the sky is the limit if he gets that fight and wins it. he'd have defeated arguably the greatest MMA fighter of all time. that's something that he can use to market himself and his brand.

obviously all of this is just conjecture on my part, but he has opportunities before him that not many other UFC fighters do. he has a clear path to superstardom. it seems kind of like he's cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Oh yeah, that I completely agree with. His ignorance about how this business works is really biting him in the ass. Like the tweet about Jake Paul getting paid was seen as complaining about UFC pay, and I do think it in part was, but also I think he was just genuinely wondering why they could make that kind of money and UFC fighters couldn't. In those instances you kinda understand why some fighters let their managers handle their social media. Lol

In short :The UFC really did him dirty.

• Straight after his last win, the UFC offered him a fight in June knowing it was impossible due to visa renewal obligations (you have to leave the US to apply for visa), UFC also told him July-August was impossible. And they immediately sent an extension letter due to him "declining an offer".
  • So he went to Cameroon expecting not to fight before September.
  • Then they offered him August, and he couldn't
  • They offered him September, he replied he would fight whoever, wherever, but instead they booked the interim fight and sent him another contract extension letter.
  • And on top of that, they put on the interim promo video clips about him not wanting to fight.
  • All along and still now, they also tried to make him sign a new contract, but negotiations failed. He believes the UFC dodgy "fights offers" are a way to pressure him to sign the contract on their terms.
  • He doesn't know exactly when his contract ends because of all the small writings extension clauses. Officially it ended in May 2021, but champion clauses have extended it. He is not sure he will a free agent after UFC 270.
  • He doesn't blame Gane at all for the interim belt. They are not close, and have not trained together for a long time but think he is a nice guy.
Dana is someone who hold's grudges if he feels you did him dirty. From his perspective, he gave Francis the opportunity and promoted him, but the tweet Ngannou sent after the Jake Paul card where he said "what are we doing wrong?" was a stab in the back as far as Dana is concerned.

It's one thing for bottom feeders to complain about pay, but when your own champions complain about pay that's a huge black eye. Dana doesn't forget, he views Francis as an ingrate. The second Ngannou loses to Gane his UFC career is over imo. He'll be relegated to the back of the line.

Imagine making an interim belt because 5 1/2 months instead of 4 1/2 month is too much of a delay.

So the UFC shitting on fighters and lying about them to promote a fight is fine. But the fighter telling the truth in return is "airing the dirty laundry in public".
Sure..

Fight battles you can win

I am a huge fan of Max, butI am really not sure he is the model to follow in career management, considering the damage accumulated compared to his career earnings.

that's not even a problem for Ngannou. he's not a volume punching FW, he's a 1 shot KO artist HW who probably has less octagon time in his entire UFC career than Max does in a single fight. the point is, Max knew complaining wasn't going to get anywhere. winning will, even if they don't like you, they cannot deny you are THE guy if you destroy everyone.

Sure but look at his POV: if he signs what the UFC wants him to sign, he may very well be stuck with whatever they want to offer him. He had 1 fight a year the past 2 years because they kept him on the backburner while managing the Stipe-DC trilogy. It's understandable he doesn't want that again.
Right now he is the champ, but if he loses to Gane (very possible it's a tough fight) and is locked in a long contract, he may have a miserable career. If he loses to Gane and becomes a free agent, he has options.

of course, but that's the career of a professional athlete right? every match/play/fight is a gamble. what do you suggest he do then? sit out? professional sports is a do or die career, you either do or you die. i don't see any other better option for him other than to destroy Gane and fish for that Jon Jones fight. otherwise, whatever he thinks he's doing now isn't going to work.

Dana is someone who hold's grudges if he feels you did him dirty. From his perspective, he gave Francis the opportunity and promoted him, but the tweet Ngannou sent after the Jake Paul card where he said "what are we doing wrong?" was a stab in the back as far as Dana is concerned.
Come on...cut the BS. If that tweet is a stab, you must be a special kind of snowflake to be offended by it. It's not even targeting anyone. And everyone knows it's a totally legit question: how can top level UFC fighters make more money.

I don't usually get emotionally invested in UFC title fights unless I am a fan of one of the competitors but I will be rooting for Francis against Cyril. I know the more Francis wins the more upset Dana and co. will become. Keep doing your thing Francis. Keep sticking it to the man!

Sure..
Yeah it was bullshit. The belts don't have the prestige they once held.

He completely contradicts himself in the cliffs. And contradicts what he said previously. So what am I supposed to make of that?

And how could his mgmt not know the status of his contract? That makes no sense at all.

None of what he said makes any sense. If he feels he’s being treated poorly. Vacate the title, fight out the contract, and become a free agent. Then he can do whatever he wants. Because you are only worth what somebody is willing to actually pay you.

of course, but that's the career of a professional athlete right? every match/play/fight is a gamble. what do you suggest he do then? sit out? professional sports is a do or die career, you either do or you die. i don't see any other better option for him other than to destroy Gane and fish for that Jon Jones fight. otherwise, whatever he thinks he's doing now isn't going to work.
There is two very different things here: accepting/declining fights and signing or not a new contract.
Ngannou is happy fighting Gane or whoever else at the price set in his current contract, he has never complained about that. He has been doing his job, he shouldn't be forced to sign a contract that doesn't suit him. The UFC stretching the interval between fights to pressure him financially and mediatically is just a bully tactic.

Sure if you play ball, the UFC will treat you well in public. But that will never stop them from absolutely screwing you with the contract. And you will be a broke retired company man with a nice HOF award to show to your trailer park neighbours. If you are very nice, lucky and can talk, you may get a job as analyst/commentator.

There is two very different things here: accepting/declining fights and signing or not a new contract.
Ngannou is happy fighting Gane or whoever else at the price set in his current contract, he has never complained about that. He has been doing his job, he shouldn't be forced to sign a contract that doesn't suit him. The UFC stretching the interval between fights to pressure him financially and mediatically is just a bully tactic.

Sure if you play ball, the UFC will treat you well in public. But that will never stop them from absolutely screwing you with the contract. And you will be a broke retired company man with a nice HOF award to show to your trailer park neighbours. If you are very nice, lucky and can talk, you may get a job as analyst/commentator.

if he's broke with a 500k/500k a fight contract. i don't know, he has bigger problems than the UFC screwing him.

Back