1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Media Francis Ngannou on the problems between himself and the UFC

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Oct 13, 2021.

1. El Fernas Gold Belt

He wont have any money left after that.

2. Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

Why would he get a Conor type of deal? Is there any indication he pulls PPV numbers like Conor does?

YungSithLxrd and MMA like this.
  3. El Fernas Gold Belt

Isnt he getting PPV points? Conor, the biggest name in MMA still doesnt get boxing type purses, he signs for 2-3 million and then makes the rest in PPV, im not taking the UFC side, but to make real money they need real PPV sales too, paying them 500k is cheap for a champion but thats not all they are going to get, also champs almost never have show/win money.

4. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

the future is uncertain. i'm pretty sure nobody thought Conor was going to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. until it happened. you never know what could happen. but when you piss your boss off who has you by the balls and is a widely known spiteful asshole, well the future is rather certain then, isn't it?

5. Oscar Madison Blue Belt

Another millionaire fighter "charity" case. :rolleyes:

UFC doesn't pay him enough? not my problem

If he wants more money -- he needs to build his brand.

Dude has choices...

YungSithLxrd and MMA like this.
  6. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

well you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. there's no winning, it's more or less what's going to be less losing.

jakeharris74 likes this.
  7. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

yeah but why Ngannou? they didn't like Stipe either and they didn't make WWE vignettes of him looking like an asshole.

Moin likes this.
  8. Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

Yes, but people don't get deals based on the uncertainty of what the future might hold. They get deals based on projection for the future based on in the past established figures, at best.

Shotcy and Pancake Sprawl like this.
  9. Ozze Black Belt

After seeing that thread about the negotiation tactics of Joe Silva and all those shit "fight offers" just to get them to extend the contrat, it's not surprising at all this shit is happening with Ngannou.

Surprises me thought when he says something like "don't know when my contract ends.". It's the only thing you do, your job, you should know. This gets me thinking if what he's talking about is really what happened or just some tale his manager told him. I know the UFC is pretty shady about contracts and negotiations, but it's not like managers are good guys either. They do cheat fighters all the time.

10. gunlok Black Belt

Gotta be some sort of UFC record - UFC and Ngannou turned on each other almost immediatly after the title changed hands

11. Jackonfire BMF Mod Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yeah, that bit stuck out to me too. As well as the claim the UFC told him July/August was impossible then offered him a fight in August. Maybe he just got confused.

But its weird how everyone just takes his word that he accepted the September date to fight Lewis. According to Lewis's manager, they didn't. And obviously, Lewis wanted to fight the real champ for the real belt, a guy he already beat. So I don't think his manager is lying about Ngannou's camp turning down the September date.

12. Bowel-forged Stool Manlet belt Platinum Member

He would be barred from fighting, the lawsuit would take everything he made for the fight, and everything he owns, and his family would likely starve if he couldn’t get his job back at the sand mines

13. spinup Brown Belt

Both his coach Erick Nicksick and his manager Marquel Martin have told the exact same story, plus I think Dewey Cooper. So Ngannou's story is backed up.

Lewis' camp are probably not lying but they couldn't have first hand knowledge of that. The UFC could have told them whatever they wanted in order to have a main event for UFC 265. And it makes sense: if Lewis camp had known Ngannou was available in September, they would have chosen to fight him for the real belt.

Moin and FedorGOAT like this.
  14. Kwic Red Belt

That's why it's a joke :)
    My Sherdudes, you shouldn't treat every post as a dead serious post.

15. Bowel-forged Stool Manlet belt Platinum Member

You caught me. I’ve been really tense lately
    [​IMG]

El Fernas and Kwic like this.
  16. Mayonnaiseandjelly Blue Belt

He could simply relinquish the belt

17. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

what i meant by the future is uncertain, is that he could become a draw. instead of focusing on trying to fight the UFC, which never works, he should focus on trying to become a bigger draw. that's the only way that any fighter has ever gained leverage over the UFC, or at least some negotiating power.

it's the Max Holloway approach. before Max got his first title shot, he was constantly being passed over. i'm pretty sure he has the longest win streak of any UFC fighter to not get a title shot. he went on some crazy 9-10 win streak before he even smelled a title shot. then they made him fight the champion twice, once in the champs home country. lots of UFC fighters and fans would've looked at that as unfair treatment, and it was, but he didn't complain. he just kept his nose to the grind stone and kept winning. he knew, if you keep winning they can't deny you.

Ngannou is in a perfect position to do that. his division is weak, he's destroyed most of the contenders, all he needs to do is beat Gane and literally the only fight that would make sense for him is Jon Jones. after that, the sky is the limit if he gets that fight and wins it. he'd have defeated arguably the greatest MMA fighter of all time. that's something that he can use to market himself and his brand.

obviously all of this is just conjecture on my part, but he has opportunities before him that not many other UFC fighters do. he has a clear path to superstardom. it seems kind of like he's cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Iroh likes this.
  18. GueseGuy Yellow Card Yellow Card

It should be illegal what the UFC is doing. Sick sick motherfuckers. That's exactly why Dana never went into boxing. The very same tactics would be illegal in boxing.

Bubba Kid likes this.
  19. MrKontakos Brown Belt

The land of the free, and home of the brave.
    Huge Gane fan, but god damn it they're treating big frank like shit. Fuck Dana.

Colin likes this.
  20. FedorGOAT Ultimate Fedorist Platinum Member

Dude I really like you, but I think when it comes to Ngannou I think you are driven by some kind of agenda. Since the interim title announced you seem to have taken this stance of dissing Ngannou by any chance given.

I mean come on seriously? It has already been established that UFC lies & they have lied with Ngannou too. So why are you so hell bent on taking Dana's word regarding this drama over Ngannou's?

Gratis, Humongo and Bubba Kid like this.