For everyone saying former UFC champ Ngannou makes boxing look bad

cause both are bad, thumbwrestling with headkicks and knees to grounded opponents is the only real sport

He spent 70% of his training boxing. Fought boxing heavy in pretty much every fight. And had an exhibition with a top 15 heavyweight that was basically a draw before he was even in the UFC

Yes, obviously Ngannou has been training boxing for a while during his MMA career. He's not completely clueless indeed. So in a way I wasn't surprised myself what Ngannou showcased us in his official boxing debut against Tyson Fury.

giphy.gif

I mean the truth is Ngannou is the only Ngannou. Just because he can do it, doesn't count for all of MMA. It's because of his serious power. We've seen guys like Wilder or Foreman have power carry them through their career. He just possesses the death touch. Anyone else with the death touch and chin could probably do good at HW in MMA or Boxing.

Well this is exactly my point. Francis being a freak of nature shouldn't really make boxing look bad, just like Francis being UFC HW champ shouldn't make MMA look bad.

He is a rare physical specimen. And it seems like at HW in either sport, extreme power goes a long way. Francis doesn't just have extreme power, he has huge raw physical strength to go with it, and an iron chin, a huge head made of concrete.

Anyone who thinks a lighter weight fighter could do the same thing in boxing is delusional.

Someone yesterday said in all seriousness that Volk would dominate Crawford.

Francis > UFC

Francis needs boxing and boxing needs him right now. His chapter with ufc is closed though so let’s move on and celebrate his success

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm honestly looking forward to his next boxing match. I'd love to see how he does against any other top 10 HW boxer.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm honestly looking forward to his next boxing match. I'd love to see how he does against any other top 10 HW boxer.
Him Vs wilder, AJ or fury/usyk winner are all fights I would tune into

francis had to work himself up in mma, and he lost to a nobody in his 2nd fight whereas in boxing he went straight up to the best boxer in the sport.

boxing fans in suicide watch lol.

People are way to insecure. Ngannou did great, much better than most woild have anticipated. But he still got beat handily despite the knock down. The cries of robbery are laughable.

Ngannou is not a “freak of nature.”

He’s the combination of singular motivation (to be a prize fighting champion) hard work (the mines,) probably better than average genes, and a strong determination to see through his goals (I’m sure you’re familiar with his Africa to Europe migration story.)

While he may very well be beatable as an MMA HW, more guys with his size/strength/skill would facilitate the creation of a cruiser weight division.

Also, gotta believe that Fury took him lightly.
His initial approach seemed ill advised.

Even so, what a performance by the Cameroonian!

Him Vs wilder, AJ or fury/usyk winner are all fights I would tune into

Absolutely. Wilder fight obviously fascinating, such an extreme power matchup.

Usyk is perhaps the most interesting of all imo. Usyk is the most skilled HW by some margin, but as we've seen throughout Ngannou's entire career power is a hell of an equaliser. And Francis looked like a fucking tank yesterday, even age 37, he's never looked better.

And as slick as Usyk is, let's be honest it's unrealistic to think any fighter doesn't get hit.

People always used to say "Oh Floyd never gets hit". He got hit plenty, including flush by wild fighters like Maidana, Floyd just happened to have an excellent chin on top of all his other attributes.

francis had to work himself up in mma, and he lost to a nobody in his 2nd fight whereas in boxing he went straight up to the best boxer in the sport.

boxing fans in suicide watch lol.

He may have had the same fate in boxing as well. Gatekeepers and matchmaking is a real thing.

Tyson Fury is arguably the greatest heavy weight boxer of all time. He lost to the UFC HW Champ in his own domain.

Can you imagine if they used MMA gloves and just added in another aspect of fighting like kicks? Tyson Fury would have been murdered in that scenario. Boxing is just an embarrassing sport all around.

It makes boxing look worse because boxing fans have this notion that their sport at the highest level involves elite technique and requires years of preparation in the best Olympic training programs, while MMA is just glorified brawling for failed wrestlers. Yesterday they realized it was not the case.
Possibly, although possibly it just makes Francis Ngannou a superstar and freak of nature in the public mind.

Fury has just said he didn't take Francis lightly, he trained hard for the fight, and that if he didnt, he would have lost by KO. That whole narrative needs to stop. You don't sell a fight by getting dropped and potentially KO'd. lol. Francis makes UFC, Dana White, boxing, look terrible. And that is the only take away here. Anything else is bullshit.

Ngannou is not a “freak of nature.”

He’s the combination of singular motivation (to be a prize fighting champion) hard work (the mines,) probably better than average genes, and a strong determination to see through his goals (I’m sure you’re familiar with his Africa to Europe migration story.)

While he may very well be beatable as an MMA HW, more guys with his size/strength/skill would facilitate the creation of a cruiser weight division.

Also, gotta believe that Fury took him lightly.
His initial approach seemed ill advised.

Even so, what a performance by the Cameroonian!

Saying he's not a freak of nature is a bit of a disservice to Ngannou tbh. Did hard work and determination play a huge role in his success? Yeah of course or did, but you're not nuts if you don't think his genetic gifts are EXTREMELY rare.

Freakish power, freakish physical strength, freakish chin. And still a chiselled tank at 37.

It's a bit like Pacquiao, hard work and determination got him from a Filipino street kid to boxing icon and one of the best boxers ever, but make no mistake hardly anyone could have done with even with all the hard work and determination in the world.

That's because Pacquiao is also a freak of nature, with a unique comination of speed, power, agility, stamina, workrate, etc.

Fury has just said he didn't take Francis lightly, he trained hard for the fight, and that if he didnt, he would have lost by KO. That whole narrative needs to stop. You don't sell a fight by getting dropped and potentially KO'd. lol. Francis makes UFC, Dana White, boxing, look terrible. And that is the only take away here. Anything else is bullshit.

The only takeaway is Francis makes himself look amazing, anything else is bullshit.

Well this is exactly my point. Francis being a freak of nature shouldn't really make boxing look bad, just like Francis being UFC HW champ shouldn't make MMA look bad.

He is a rare physical specimen. And it seems like at HW in either sport, extreme power goes a long way. Francis doesn't just have extreme power, he has huge raw physical strength to go with it, and an iron chin, a huge head made of concrete.

Anyone who thinks a lighter weight fighter could do the same thing in boxing is delusional.

Someone yesterday said in all seriousness that Volk would dominate Crawford.
Yeah even Jones or even Usman should never be boxing. It's not they aren't great fighters, they just put too many points into grappling and not known for boxing. I mean if we had Khabib vs Mayweather, it doesn't mean MMA sucks.

He may have had the same fate in boxing as well. Gatekeepers and matchmaking is a real thing.

WHich is exactly why the highest seeded boxers get a "bye" in tournaments like the Olympics. Having to work your way up is there for a reason, as sometimes freak style matchups and upsets happen.

Back