For everyone saying former UFC champ Ngannou makes boxing look bad

I believe Francis will find success in Boxing just like he did in MMA. When it comes to the “He exposed this..” or “The UFC that…” kind of stuff I try to not pay much attention to it. Francis is a fighter, they are supposed to fight so it’s good to see him fighting instead of sitting on the sidelines.

The level of cope and damage control today is hilarious. No, it doesnt make MMA look bad, it makes boxing look bad, very bad.

This fight doesn't make MMA look bad obviously, it makes MMA and the UFC look great. Ngannou decapitating elite MMA fighters in the UFC, with his only experience being sand shovelling/basic boxing obviously makes MMA look bad. Just like Brock made MMA look bad by beating Randy in his 4th fight, after being an MMA fighter for about a year.

This fight doesn't make MMA look bad obviously, it makes MMA and the UFC look great. Ngannou decapitating elite MMA fighters in the UFC, with his only experience being sand shovelling/basic boxing obviously makes MMA look bad. Just like Brock made MMA look bad by beating Randy in his 4th fight, after being an MMA fighter for about a year.

Brock is a much better comparison in terms of someone who was able to come in as an athletic freak from another sport and immediately be able to compete with top guys. Although even he lost to Mir the first time.

He made MMA look bad? I don't think he made MMA look bad. But Francis is an amazing athlete indeed and also highly motivated, strong minded person. Who willing to adapt and learn from his mistakes. So I give him that.

I think some of you misread the post. This fight didn't make MMA look bad, obviously, that would be insane. It made MMA look great and probably shocked a lot of boxers/boxing fans/pundits.

I'm saying Francis as an entity back in the day made MMA look bad by having FAR more success than he should have done, as a basic boxer/sand shoveller. He had no business decimating the competition he did, logically, with his rudimentary skillset and experience.

If you think this makes boxing look bad, I don't know how you can't think him destroying the likes of Overeem, Cain, Dos Santos etc also makes MMA look bad. It's exactly same thing. A guy overperforming due to freakish physical ability, when logically he should be getting schooled by more skilled opponents.

Francis is a Fighter first --

then digger, swimmer, MMA'er, boxer, businessman..,

the bottom line that there has been a longstanding narrative that mma is the bush leagues where all the athletes and guys who couldnt make it in other sports fall back to, while boxing is the big time. Like it or not, how well Ngannou fought was a hit to boxing, and a boost in credibility to mma

the irony of boxing culture as a whole looking down on mma? the major sports - basketball, football, baseball, etc - all look down on both boxing and mma, and you hear it all the time that "all the best boxers are playing basketball or football"...when there have been multiple nfl players, pro bowlers even, knocked out by fat samoans

at the end of the day, built for fighting is not necessarily the same as built of basketball or football. chin seems to be the most important thing especially at the higher weight classes

How so? It makes perfect sense. Realistically, he had no business beating experienced elite MMA fighters with his rudimentary skillset and level of experience he had. Just like he had no business doing that well against Fury with his rudimentary boxing skills and lack of experience. The two are comparable. He was able to overperform in both combat sports, as he's a freak of nature, with incredible power and chin.

What doesn't make sense to you?

He started his pro career in 2013 and beat Arlovski in 2017. 4 years is a long time for someone with the right mindset and physical attributes.

It makes boxing look worse because boxing fans have this notion that their sport at the highest level involves elite technique and requires years of preparation in the best Olympic training programs, while MMA is just glorified brawling for failed wrestlers. Yesterday they realized it was not the case.

Brock is a much better comparison in terms of someone who was able to come in as an athletic freak from another sport and immediately be able to compete with top guys. Although even he lost to Mir the first time.

I think they're both great examples tbh, both of them are physical specimens who defied the odds, and defied what we logically know about combat sports.

Francis was literally a sand shovelling asylum seeker who was trained by French Edmund and wanted to be a boxer. He came to the UFC and started decapitating legendary UFC fighters who had more skill and experience.

The thing is, as an MMA fan I don't hold either instance against MMA, as it's clear they are just physical specimens who defy common logic.

I think some of you misread the post. This fight didn't make MMA look bad, obviously, that would be insane. It made MMA look great and probably shocked a lot of boxers/boxing fans/pundits.

I'm saying Francis as an entity back in the day made MMA look bad by having FAR more success than he should have done, as a basic boxer/sand shoveller. He had no business decimating the competition he did, logically, with his rudimentary skillset and experience.

If you think this makes boxing look bad, I don't know how you can't think him destroying the likes of Overeem, Cain, Dos Santos etc also makes MMA look bad. It's exactly same thing. A guy overperforming due to freakish physical ability, when logically he should be getting schooled by more skilled opponents.

I see what you are saying, but Francis had more time to hone his craft in MMA to than beat guys like Overeem, Cain and Dos Santos as you said later in his career in MMA. In boxing we had no clue how he would have done not against just a regular pro boxer, but against the Lineal HW champ in his boxing debut. So it's much more impressive what he did I think in that sense with 0-0 boxing record.

The only take away, the correct one, is that Francis made boxing, the UFC, dana white's control look very, very bad. Francis exceeded all possible expectations. To get the knock down on Tyson Fury is huge. He was never in any danger in that fight. Amazing. Francis Ngannou, the King, is the world's best combat sports fighter, of the modern era, maybe possibly ever. Until a MMA champion steps in the boxing ring against another champion, and puts on that performance that he did, any claims to the world's greatest GOAT throne is illegitimate. Jones, Islam have no claim to GOAT status anymore. That is now a joke. Francis is the world's best combat sports fighter, and he sits a table by himself, one that he built. Fucking amazing to see, super inspirational. The best cinderella story for a combat sports athlete ever. And this was only achieveable by abandoning the UFC, giving the finger to Dana White. It will be interesting to see how Dana traverses the boxing - MMA superfights now. Will every champion now get the opportunity?

It makes boxing look worse because boxing fans have this notion that their sport at the highest level involves elite technique and requires years of preparation in the best Olympic training programs, while MMA is just glorified brawling for failed wrestlers. Yesterday they realized it was not the case.

Yes there is some truth to that, but on the other hand HW boxing has been a joke for years, most hardcore boxing fans don't really consider it on par with boxing in the lighter weights.

HW boxing is kind of the exception to the rule. Do you think an elite UFC FW would be able to have success against someone like Crawford, or elite UFC WW against Canelo?

I think they're both great examples tbh, both of them are physical specimens who defied the odds, and defied what we logically know about combat sports.

Francis was literally a sand shovelling asylum seeker who was trained by French Edmund and wanted to be a boxer. He came to the UFC and started decapitating legendary UFC fighters who had more skill and experience.

The thing is, as an MMA fan I don't hold either instance against MMA, as it's clear they are just physical specimens who defy common logic.

The difference is Francis had been a pro in MMA for over two years before he even fought in the UFC and he took a loss in his second pro fight.

Gane was actually in the UFC and fighting ranked opposition quicker than Francis was.

I see what you are saying, but Francis had more time to hone his craft in MMA to than beat guys like Overeem, Cain and Dos Santos as you said later in his career in MMA. In boxing we had no clue how he would have done not against just a regular pro boxer, but against the Lineal HW champ in his boxing debut. So it's much more impressive what he did I think in that sense with 0-0 boxing record.

For sure, there is a lot of truth to that, what he accomplished was extreme given it was his first official boxing fight.

The only thing I'll say is as you correctly noted he had a few years of experience to be able to beat the likes of Reem etc, but since then he's also had years of experience as an elite fighter in the UFC to prepare him for this moment. Including much better training than he had early in his UFC career.

The only take away, the correct one, is that Francis made boxing, the UFC, dana white's control look very, very bad. Francis exceeded all possible expectations. To get the knock down on Tyson Fury is huge. He was never in any danger in that fight. Amazing. Francis Ngannou, the King, is the world's best combat sports fighter, of the modern era, maybe possibly ever. Until a MMA champion steps in the boxing ring against another champion, and puts on that performance that he did, any claims to the world's greatest GOAT throne is illegitimate. Jones, Islam have no claim to GOAT status anymore. That is now a joke. Francis is the world's best combat sports fighter, and he sits a table by himself, one that he built. Fucking amazing to see, super inspirational. The best cinderella story for a combat sports athlete ever. And this was only achieveable by abandoning the UFC, giving the finger to Dana White. It will be interesting to see how Dana traverses the boxing - MMA superfights now. Will every champion now get the opportunity?

Hard to argue. I don't know if I would go as far to say p4p goat of combat sports, but hard to argue against him being the baddest man on the planet.

Hard to argue. I don't know if I would go as far to say p4p goat of combat sports, but hard to argue against him being the baddest man on the planet.
I mean, for argument sake, who could possibly be ranked higher p4p of combat sports? Francis, achieved UFC HW gold, defended, already smoked the entire division rising to the ranks of the belt, and then, challenged the boxing HW champion, and delivered a masterful performance, in which 99% of people thought he won. No other MMA champion can make that claim to GOAT, can feasibly compare to have doing that. They can only say they won UFC HW gold, and then defended against yester-years competition. Islam / Jones, they haven't done the same. Only Francis can make that claim, and to me, he is the new combat sports fighter GOAT of the world. And I say this as massive fans of other GOAT fighters, eras, organizations.

He spent 70% of his training boxing. Fought boxing heavy in pretty much every fight. And had an exhibition with a top 15 heavyweight that was basically a draw before he was even in the UFC

Ngannou makes MMA look bad too, in exactly the same way.

I mean, he was a sand shoveller/wannabe boxer who came to the UFC and decimated highly experienced MMA fighters like Reem, Arlovsvki, Cain, Dos Santos - with basic wild scrubby boxing. He also became the UFC HW champ by 1 punch KOing someone considered the UFC HW goat.

So if he makes boxing look bad by running Fury that close, he makes MMA look bad too.

The reality is he's just a freak of nature, and overperformed in both sports.

By pure physical ability - freakish power, physical strength, chin - there's no doubt he could beat some top 10 HWs in boxing just like he did in the UFC.

I think that says more about Francis being a unique physical specimen, than it does about either sport tbh.

Maybe we were just wrong and his wild style was the best for MMA. He clearly has the ability to learn and improve rapidly and maybe Fernand Lopez was the real issue and prevented him from being as composed as he now appears to be. Cyril has a similar problem in that he does exactly what he shouldn't do and has now lost his last two fights from it.

Maybe French inexperienced MMA coach, just isn;t that good.

To be honest I just think it;s the fact he is as big or bigger than all these HW guys and has actually developed well round skills. HW usually suck at sport unless it involves going in a straight line.

The difference is Francis had been a pro in MMA for over two years before he even fought in the UFC and he took a loss in his second pro fight.

Gane was actually in the UFC and fighting ranked opposition quicker than Francis was.

True, he wasn't as fast tracked as Brock and Gane.

The example is still valid though, he had a comparatively tiny amount of experience and a basic skillset compared to the guys he was demolishing.

He was steamrolling UFC fighters through sheer physical ability really, like a gorilla getting in a cage and just thumping people to bolivian.

My point is a lot of fans are going OTT and being hypocrtical with how bad this makes boxing look - when he did practically the same thing in MMA, overperformed against experienced MMA fighters by being a physical freak of nature.

A little sand shoveler with a couple months training put an end to boxing yesterday.

May the dumb, rigged sport that is boxing rest in peace.

amen.

Back