Figureido or Umar: Who Should Get the Title Shot?

On a more serious note, either guy getting it is fine with me.

Umar has the best win in the division other than Merab and Sean.

Figgy has 2 ranked wins and is older, so I don't think it's crazy to give him a shot.

The excuses and attempts to downplay or inflate either guy are funny tho.

I think Merab should do what Rocky suggested, schedule his fight for Ramadan to make sure he gets to fight Figgy and not Umar.

I just don't like Merab playing matchmaker. He's a kissing and hugging champ

Don't know how many fans he has but I feel he's the last person to call shots. I think Umar is better than Figuredo. What do i know though lol

Umar fights the same way Merab does. I see Merab's dejection as fear. Deiveson won't bring the same aggression and wrestling.

I would say Figgy, because he's older and the clock is ticking, but Merab is so scared that I want him to fight Umar next. <Fedor23>

But then again in hindsight O'Malley had a title defense against Chito, Sterling had one against Triple C. Maybe this is just a trend lol

They both got a reasonable case for a title shot, but Id rather see Umar because I want to see how Merab deals with someone that can match his physicality. Figgy is too small, he will be neutralized like Merabs other victims.

Save figgy/yan/OMalley for Umar after he wins the belt.

Umar. Win over #2 on a winning streak > Wins over #4 and #7 coming off losses. Not to mention Umar’s win beat both of Figgy’s ranked wins. Figgy wouldn’t be egregious but I think Umar clearly has the edge here.

It's tough to say and one can make a case for either man.

Figueiredo is a former Flyweight Champion and has multiple wins in title fight settings along with multiple wins over champions/former champions. At 135, he beat a Top 10 guy in Rob Font, a Top 20ish guy in Garbrandt, and a Top 5 recent title challenger in Marlon Vera. That is a solid resume.

Conversely, Umar just has two things going for him, but they're big: an undefeated record and a win over Sandhagen. Even though Cory is the only Bantamweight of note that he's defeated, it's a good win and one that is better than any of Figgy's at 135. Cory is a perennial Top 3-5 guy, been in multiple title eliminators, and was coming off wins. Not only does Sandhagen have dominant head-to-head wins over Vera/Font, but he's ranked higher than either of them and is just a plainly more talented fighter and a higher quality of win.

So does Figgy's quantity of Bantamweight wins outweigh Umar's lone quality win? If you decide in favor of Umar in that, does Figgy's tenure and legacy as a Flyweight champion change your assessment? What about his age?

Personally, I would like to see Figgy get the shot before he ages out... if not for the fact that Merab is also close to that dreaded 35 mark himself. The clock is ticking. Umar has the better recent win and would, IMO, make for the more compelling match-up. Figgy should 100% be slotted in as a back-up, though.

Neither one has earned a title shot (I know "earn" isn't a criteria the UFC uses). I'm not impressed with Fig's strength of schedule at BW and lol at Umar winning one fight of consequence and moving up 27 spots in the rankings. Of course they should fight each other. Odds of that happening would appear to be low, but I don't know why. Merab vs. either one is not going to draw many eyeballs. At least with a decisive victory for Umar or Figgy they have a little more meat on the bones and momentum to promote a title fight.

Neither one has earned a title shot (I know "earn" isn't a criteria the UFC uses). I'm not impressed with Fig's strength of schedule at BW and lol at Umar winning one fight of consequence and moving up 27 spots in the rankings. Of course they should fight each other. Odds of that happening would appear to be low, but I don't know why. Merab vs. either one is not going to draw many eyeballs. At least with a decisive victory for Umar or Figgy they have a little more meat on the bones and momentum to promote a title fight.
you’re not impressed with fig’s strength of schedule? he’s fought 3 times in 9 months and he wants to fight again in december. ranked opponents too. is there anyone on the roster fighting more frequently at that level?

you’re not impressed with fig’s strength of schedule? he’s fought 3 times in 9 months and he wants to fight again in december. ranked opponents too. is there anyone on the roster fighting more frequently at that level?
It's good that he's active and he's been sharp at BW but the Font, Cody and Chito fights aren't victories that would normally propel anyone to a title shot. Circumstances of the division are what makes it a possibility. I don't see any reason why Umar and Fig shouldn't fight for #1 contender next. They're both the guys currently in line and neither has a compelling enough case over the other. As it's been mentioned, I weigh Umar beating Sandhagen higher than any of Fig's wins at bw but I would like to see another W vs. a contender from either one of them to secure the shot.

Why not make them fight each other first? Newly crowned champions usually sit out for at least 6 months anyway. Merab can wait and do a little victory lap with those Ronaldinho looking women he's got around him.

On merit, figgy should get it. It's been like 6 years since hes fought an unranked opponent. Umar fought a UFC debutant 2 fights ago.

Figgy has already beaten a former UFC bantamweight champ, a bantamweight title challenger and a perennial top 10 fighter. Aswell as being a multiple time defending flyweight champion.

I personally think this discussion is insane, but Nepotism is absolutely a thing and Umar will get it for that reason. We can all become better people by just agreeing it's Nepotism rather than trying to justify it with merit. His last name is nurmagomedov and that means something.

Well said.

It's good that he's active and he's been sharp at BW but the Font, Cody and Chito fights aren't victories that would normally propel anyone to a title shot. Circumstances of the division are what makes it a possibility. I don't see any reason why Umar and Fig shouldn't fight for #1 contender next. They're both the guys currently in line and neither has a compelling enough case over the other. As it's been mentioned, I weigh Umar beating Sandhagen higher than any of Fig's wins at bw but I would like to see another W vs. a contender from either one of them to secure the shot.

chito was the most recent title challenger. traditionally ufc uses failed title challengers to build up new challengers. and while cory is perhaps a slightly better win, it’s not by much. he’s lost 3 of his last 6, and his best wins are the same guys fig beat.

but either way, there’s no way ufc has them fight each other at this point. ufc probably gives it to umar just because of what he represents to their regional interests.

Back