Figureido or Umar: Who Should Get the Title Shot?

Deiveson is a champion coming from an another division and has done more in their current division. If it’s still unclear who should fight for the belt next, maybe they can fight each other for the number one spot, while the champion sits back and relaxes (read: has more time to study and prepare for both of them and hide from drug testers in the georgian mountains) ? We have seen this in other divisions too…

Deiveson is a champion coming from an another division and has done more in their current division. If it’s still unclear who should fight for the belt next, maybe they can fight each other for the number one spot, while the champion sits back and relaxes (read: has more time to study and prepare for both of them and hide from drug testers in the georgian mountains) ? We have seen this in other divisions too…
Merab has lived in the States for years lol

On merit, figgy should get it. It's been like 6 years since hes fought an unranked opponent. Umar fought a UFC debutant 2 fights ago.

Figgy has already beaten a former UFC bantamweight champ, a bantamweight title challenger and a perennial top 10 fighter. Aswell as being a multiple time defending flyweight champion.

I personally think this discussion is insane, but Nepotism is absolutely a thing and Umar will get it for that reason. We can all become better people by just agreeing it's Nepotism rather than trying to justify it with merit. His last name is nurmagomedov and that means something.

Last edited:

"Done more" yes, Figgy has more ranked wins at bantamweight. But does he have a single win in the division better than Umar's win over Cory Sandhagen? He doesn't. Quality > quantity.

Umar should be next (if he wants the fight). For all we know Umar feels the same way as Merab, and won't fight him. That's his choice if he wants to wait and not be champion. I suspect, however, that Khabib will be giving Merab an ultimatum to vacate the belt or fight Umar.

UFC should drop the men's bantam and flyweight divisions. Make Merab vs Pajonta for early next year. The winner meets the winner of Topuria-Hollowway around Memorial Day for the unified featherweight title. UFC only needs one division below lightweight.

Umar beat the No 2 guy so therefore he eliminated that fighter from contention & took his place.

Figgy vs Yan & if Figgy wins, then he gets Merab/Umar next.

Figgy has already beaten a former UFC bantamweight champ, a bantamweight title challenger and a perennial top 10 fighter. Aswell as being a multiple time defending flyweight champion.
I think you're inflating Garbrandt a bit there with that description. Umar beating the number two in the division is pretty heavy in his favour

I see 2 ways forward. Umar pulling out from a title shot to sit out and wait until Dvali loses or wait until Dvali is injured and get someone from lower weight class on short notice in Abu City
Why Umar beats brakes off Merab

I think you're inflating Garbrandt a bit there with that description. Umar beating the number two in the division is pretty heavy in his favour
No i am not, that match up was already made as a title fight for the flyweight title at one point, Garbrandt did beat the goat of the division to win his title I dont think it's inflated in the slightest especially when you consider that figgy finished him aswell it counts for something. just because he beat number 2 in a match up that could be called favorable doesn't meant he'd beat everyone else along the way.

Back