Economy Do you own an Electric vehicle?

One issue slowing adoption oil prices an fuel costscm are dropping. Over a million EV's were sold this year alone. This will reduce petrol use slightly. As of now between full EV an plug in Hybrid over 3 million on the road.

"
production are likely to persist in 2024, Goldman Sachs added.

Analysts said they expect US Lower 48 crude output to reach 11.4-million barrels per day (bpd) in the fourth quarter of 2024, and hiked its US total liquids supply growth forecast for the year to 0.9-million bpd from 0.5-million earlier.

However, Opec’s decision to rein in supply, a recovery in China, restocking in the US and a modest recession risk should limit downside risk to oil prices, the bank noted.

“Saudi Arabia is unlikely to ‘flush’ the market in 2024,” Goldman analysts said, adding “we expect full extensions of the Opec+ cuts announced in April 2023 (1.7-million bpd) through 2025 and of the additional 2.2-million bpd package through [the second quarter of] 2024.”

“We adjust our Opec range trade to a short $70 put, long $80/$90 call spread option on Brent June 24, and still recommend long summer 2024 gasoline margins,” they added"

No.
I have one car using gasoline and one using diesel. While we are using electricity powered forklifts in warehouse and I now 5 years have solar collectors and heat accumulators plus I had invested in heat insulation etc.....
I'm living in northern Europe so.....

Diesel Land rover defender owner so no...but a couple of my close friends went full electric....and have now swapped back

One does a few long distance runs a year (500 miles) and was left stranded multiple times as the planned charging points weren't available.

Another had multiple failures whenever we had cold weather.

They loved the cars 80% of the time, but got sick of the fact that they almost needed a spare ICE for where they let them down. They also saw their insurance and recovery premiums skyrocket due to the astronomical costs of EV vehicles in an accident.

My daily driver is a plug in hybrid. I bought it around a year ago. It travels around 45miles in electric mode. So far I don't have complaints. It has been a reliable vehicle. Hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that.

Previously I owned another plug in hybrid, with an EV driving range of around 19miles at first and 3 years later about 15 miles. It was constantly having repair issues. It would take around a month to repair the car.

Have you seen the hybrid in person or tested it? My wife wanted a new car and actually was going to get the Maverick last spring. Was her favorite at the time. We went to go see it at Ford, she test drove it, hated it, and we left lol. She got a Mazda CX-30 instead.
I haven't done any test drives or anything and its probably going to be a few years before I start really looking. What did she not like about it?

will probably get an electric to replace my wife's acura sometime in the future. No real rush since we both WFH.

I think the current generation of EVs are okay. But like a lot of modern tech i think they will not age well and will quickly be surpassed by better tech like solid state batteries and much faster charging capabilities. I'm hoping the next generation will be a better value proposition as things like charging protocols get standardized and manufacturers fully transition to 48v architecture vs 12v. I do love how EVs dramatically change the packaging for better interior space and storage.

Main thing i hate about Tesla is the stupid interior choices that seem to be made for the sake of being different, not to improve the functionality. I'll take a HUD or dashboard in front of the driver any day over a center-mounted tablet.

Last edited:
No.

It wouldn't be practical where I live. I would get a hybrid if they could figure out how to get one to cruise at 120km/h in electric mode to save some money on longer trips (2-3 hours). As it is now, I'd rather just spend the $60 on gas for trips like that rather than have it take an extra forty minutes and be in everyone's way on the highway.

This is borderline a Mayberry thread but this subject has some political undertones.

Do you own an electric vehicle, if so, what kind? do you find it as dependable as your previous gas powered ones? is the "refueling" process for you time efficient?

Do you have any caveats? or do you believe it to be a great purchase ?

all opinions welcome.
no, I can't afford one. Nothing political which I think is as silly as it gets.

No. I think a lot of them are amazing and would love to own one. However, I live in SoCal. We produce 200 TWh or Electricity a year. We use 260 TWh a year. We import 60 TWh, mostly from Arizona nuclear plants. We are reducing our energy production over the next 5-6 years by at least 20TWh a year. Owning an electric car in California is for those that are not paying attention. They have a high probability of brick status. If we resolve our energy issues, I would be in the market for a Tesla Plaid. Until then, I'll stick with my amazing F-150 3.5 Ecoboost (Turbos).

Electric cars need to standardized on about 3 swapable battery platforms to end the long hours of charging.

Yeah and it didn't take someone with your knowledge on power systems to realize that California's push to get everyone into EVs without doing a damn thing to the power grid was and is a complete and utter scam on the public.

PG&E can make you tear down the solar panels on your house if you send too much power back to them. That right there tells you what a scam the whole going green thing is. It's just a money grab.

Garbage reliability, no infrastructure. No thanks.

Call me when alpha testing is done.

I haven't done any test drives or anything and its probably going to be a few years before I start really looking. What did she not like about it?

From the advertising I guess she was expecting a "casual pickup truck", which I guess it still kind of is. But when she saw it in person before we got in she joked and her exact words were "where's the rest of it". Did the test drive and she said it doesn't feel like a car or a truck, that it's some weird middle that doesn't work so she hated it and rather just get something like a "real" pickup truck or a smoother compact SUV. Said that if she drove the Maverick she would be laughed at haha. So we went to see the Silverado and the CX-30 and she picked the CX-30.

Yeah and it didn't take someone with your knowledge on power systems to realize that California's push to get everyone into EVs without doing a damn thing to the power grid was and is a complete and utter scam on the public.

PG&E can make you tear down the solar panels on your house if you send too much power back to them. That right there tells you what a scam the whole going green thing is. It's just a money grab.
well, to be fair, the money is already grabbed, EV's are a bit of a risk, and I'm banking on subsidies eventually running out by the time I resale, which *should* drive up the cost. Solar was a no brainer financially for my scenario, no more bills (7 year payoff), and they owe me every month, and I think mathmatically speaking, I probably produce enough to go off grid, the thought of home energy freedom is appealing.

well, to be fair, the money is already grabbed, EV's are a bit of a risk, and I'm banking on subsidies eventually running out by the time I resale, which *should* drive up the cost. Solar was a no brainer financially for my scenario, no more bills (7 year payoff), and they owe me every month, and I think mathmatically speaking, I probably produce enough to go off grid, the thought of home energy freedom is appealing.

I feel like the money grab right now is just the tip of the iceberg. Once they get everyone on electric and the grid starts failing, they'll start using that crisis to pull even more on us.

I don't blame you at all for switching to solar with a 7 year ROI. It's something like 20 years for me. The thought of home energy freedom is extremely appealing but I don't for one second think the government is just going to let everyone go off the grid. They are lobbied so hard by these corporations that we'll wind up either being forced to hook up to their grid power or taxed to bolivia for being off the grid. These companies aren't just going to go out of business or downsize to next to nothing when everyone gets on solar. That'll just be more proof that this isn't really about making the earth a better place. It's about money.

My buddy has one. The Tesla is a fun car to drive. He took it on a long road trip and he will never be doing that again. You have to map out your charging stations, sometimes they are not working so you have to buffer in mileage in case the one you want is broke. Some states are better with charging stations than others. Also with the EV's when you are charging you are a sitting duck, because it wont start while charging, so hopefully you are carrying while sitting at a charging station in the middle of nowhere at 3 in the morning.
If you have a charging station in your garage, and used it to run around town, I think it works, but if you travel a lot, currently not good for that unless you dont mind adding hours onto your trip.
I drive for a living and have pondered getting one and use the wife;s car for road trips. Use the EV for work(200 miles or less round trip is my typical drive) and errands. Waiting for the rates to drop before I get a new car. Mine is paid off and only has a 120k on it, regularly maintained, and probably get another 80k out of it, if I wanted.

From the advertising I guess she was expecting a "casual pickup truck", which I guess it still kind of is. But when she saw it in person before we got in she joked and her exact words were "where's the rest of it". Did the test drive and she said it doesn't feel like a car or a truck, that it's some weird middle that doesn't work so she hated it and rather just get something like a "real" pickup truck or a smoother compact SUV. Said that if she drove the Maverick she would be laughed at haha. So we went to see the Silverado and the CX-30 and she picked the CX-30.
Small trucks used to be pretty common. A guy I served with in the Navy had one of these - https://s.aolcdn.com/commerce/autodata/images/U9TTGED2.jpg . It was actually pretty sweet. I work white collar, so I have no use for one of those full sized trucks and I would feel like I'm wasting thousands of dollars for features that I wouldn't be using. As for being laughed at, I already feel like a soccer mom driving my Rav4.

Have a hybrid. Get about 50 mpg. That's as far as I'm willing to go toward electric. Full EV? Never.

Electric cars need to standardized on about 3 swapable battery platforms to end the long hours of charging.

No, and no plans for one.​

There is NO infrastructure for electric cars, people just don't get it.
I hunted this thread down because I saw a blurb in the shipyard's newsletter. Being a federal / DOD facility we were obligated to get a few EV's. I've seen 3 or 4 vehicles plugged in at various locations around the yard (the SY has hundreds of vans and trucks). So they also installed a few charging stations. Evidently employees (could be sailors or contractors) have been using them for the personal vehicles. Is it because they fear making it home? Or are they just trying to steal a free charge? The powers that be are now threatening disciplinary / legal action.
I replaced my gas mower with a Makita electric mower. Two sets of batteries, but I'm usually able to get the yard done with one set. No more fucking around trying to get the gas mower to start and no more hauling gas cans. I am pleased with the purchase.
I paid $50 extra bucks and got push button electric start for my gas mower, well worth it. One can of gas will last beyond one season for my yard.

are they just trying to steal a free charge? The powers that be are now threatening disciplinary / legal action.
Probably fear of getting stranded, but employees do that at their own risk.

I'm interested in a Mach-e if anyone has info or experience with it. It's the Ford Mustang electric vehicle.

I don't but I do have electric lawn mowers, blowers, trimmers and chainsaws.

Better in every single way.

Back