Economy The US added 1.2 million electric cars to the US last year an what happened to the grid?

I don't think anyone is against them. I think most people are against being required to use them. Electric cars have been a thing for a while and they were never a political issue until people started talking about mandating them, or forced phasing out of gasoline powered vehicles. That last part of what you said is key.

Right now nobody is forcing you, but they would sure like to

What are you talking about? They've already preemptively banned ICE vehicles in places like California by 2035, and other countries have banned them sooner.
ICE cars are going away whether we like it or not and whether its mandated or not. This is the evolution of motor vehicles. Just like all the the stupidly fuel and power inefficient V8s of the 70s-80s are gone and have been replaced by turbo 6 and 4 cylinders (and the handful of V8s still out there.) I love manual cars, but in the next 5-10 years there will be no new manuals left outside of a handful of niche and expensive high end sports cars. That is just the evolution of cars whether we like it or not.

Eventually electric cars will have range high enough for just about all needs and batteries that are lighter/charge faster. Will all cars be lifeless/soulless? Probably but the majority of the car buyers out there don't care about that. But we are no where close to waking up tomorrow and there being no more ICE cars out there. Most of us here will be dead before those days come. So all the pearl clutching is a bit much when it comes to electric cars vs ICE cars.

Everyone predicted adding a million electric cars to the US grid would take it down. Well over 1 million electric cars where added an the electrical use actually went down not the grid. There maybe many reasons why this happened?

"
2023 set another record for EV sales in the United States. About 1.2 million vehicles, or 7.6% of all sales, were electric according to Kelley Blue Book."

"
With over 1 million new EVs plugging into garage outlets, home charging stations, and Superchargers, you’d think our electricity usage would have shot up dramatically. You’d be wrong."

"
Through November 2023 (the latest data available from the Energy Information Administration), electricity generation was down by 1.1%.

This is a great piece of news we should be talking about more. Electricity use has been flat for the last 20 years, hovering between 3,800 and 4,000 billion kWh annually even though the population has increased by 30 million people, our homes have gotten bigger, we’ve added over 5,000 data centers, and we now have 2.5 million EVs plugging into the grid."

"

"
How is this possible? One word — efficiency. Our electric appliances have gotten so much more efficient. Thank you technology improvements and appliance standards! There was a 50% improvement in US energy intensity (energy use compared to GDP) from 1980 to 2014, for example. (Also, in case you were curious, electricity use hasn’t stayed flat because people switched to gas. Residential gas use has been flat since the 1970s.)

The magic of efficiency could and hopefully will continue this 20-year miracle of keeping electricity consumption flat even while we add lots of new loads, as there is so much more low hanging fruit to be picked. LEDs still need to finish their market domination, and heat pumps are only just getting started and will save oodles of energy for space and water heating and even clothes drying. Building codes are continuously improving, as are appliance standards, meaning our homes and buildings and everything that uses energy in them, are constantly becoming more efficient (with no compromise in performance)."

"
This all adds up. With the 1% that electricity production declined in 2023, we could have added something like another 10 million EVs to the grid last year and our overall electricity use would still have remained the same.

How’s that for some good news? Next time you hear that we won’t have enough power to electrify everything, talk about the magic of efficiency that has made overall electricity use go down even as electric vehicles begin to scale."

Over the entire US? lol... ok dum dum. That's nothing. And guess what. How many of those 1.2 Million EV buyers are upper class or even top 5%? You really think middle or lower classes can afford these EV's. And how will they charge them in high density apartments or lower class neighborhoods where Cities can't even maintain roads?

And what happens when California has to accommodate almost 30 million electric vehicles mid-summer in 10 years because of Gavins' retarded mandate.

That's right, they won't. Because someone with a brain is going to axe that EV mandate.

California can't even add more electric capacity now due to Environmentalists.

The Government needs to keep their nose out of people's business. They consistently show they have zero concept of unintended consequences.

EV's are fantastic for some people and terrible options for others. Let them decide for themselves and keep the idiots in Government out of it.

Sissy truck that scares car owners where is the fire?

Damm sissy!!!

It'll be interesting to see if insurance companies start demanding EV's be charged outside of garages..

Battery fires are no joke... and when there's a huge number of old batteries that no one want to replace because of the extreme cost of battery replacement?

Forget massive parking garages... One EV car fire can take out an entire floor or structure.

My co-worker has a Tesla and there are many cool things to like about it. Many positives to owning one. His wife has a Rav 4 which is what they use for long family trips.

I just got back from Chicago, got home at midnight. It was interesting hearing about how brutally cold it was there a few weeks ago with a handful of people bringing up the issues electric car owners were having.

Full on electric for the nation isn't a viable solution at this time.

And with all the electric cars worldwide, you would think the demand for oil would be lessened which would lower the price of gas, but nope. It takes forever for prices to go down and they do so very, very slowly. But a sparrow could fart near a pipeline and they jump .10 instantly. It’s disgusting.

The excuse to raise the prices when some catastrophe occurs is that the oil companies will lose money if they don’t raise the price, yet these motherfuckers break record profits every single year.

its those demanding it's all or nothing, we have to buy one. thats the issue
Ok, don't listen to them? They aren't taking you out of your home at gun point and forcing you to buy one. Every dealership (outside of Tesla) will be more than happy to sell you a gas powered car, not to mention the used car market. Hell you can go buy a brand new Ram TRX and get less than 10 miles a gallon if you really wanted to. If you are an American you have access to the widest range of gas cars in the world right now. We are arguably in the golden age of ICE cars. It's such a silly thing to get worked up over.

Ok, don't listen to them? They aren't taking you out of your home at gun point and forcing you to buy one. Every dealership (outside of Tesla) will be more than happy to sell you a gas powered car, not to mention the used car market. Hell you can go buy a brand new Ram TRX and get less than 10 miles a gallon if you really wanted to. If you are an American you have access to the widest range of gas cars in the world right now. We are arguably in the golden age of ICE cars. It's such a silly thing to get worked up over.
I own a 2018 Chevy Colorado. Z71 Off Rod. I get about 30 mpg, modern trucks are amazing. Everyone wanting electric vehicles can’t afford a fucking Nissan centra

I own a 2018 Chevy Colorado. Z71 Off Rod. I get about 30 mpg, modern trucks are amazing. Everyone wanting electric vehicles can’t afford a fucking Nissan centra
To be fair most people can't afford any new car with the average price climbing over $45k. Now electric trucks are one thing that are not really there yet. Towing in them murders the range making it not all that feasible.

ICE cars are going away whether we like it or not and whether its mandated or not. This is the evolution of motor vehicles. Just like all the the stupidly fuel and power inefficient V8s of the 70s-80s are gone and have been replaced by turbo 6 and 4 cylinders (and the handful of V8s still out there.) I love manual cars, but in the next 5-10 years there will be no new manuals left outside of a handful of niche and expensive high end sports cars. That is just the evolution of cars whether we like it or not.

Eventually electric cars will have range high enough for just about all needs and batteries that are lighter/charge faster. Will all cars be lifeless/soulless? Probably but the majority of the car buyers out there don't care about that. But we are no where close to waking up tomorrow and there being no more ICE cars out there. Most of us here will be dead before those days come. So all the pearl clutching is a bit much when it comes to electric cars vs ICE cars.
No they're not, unless you get something that is a financially viable alternative and right now they just aren't it. Chevrolet is already talking about 7th Gen Camaro after vehemently stating that it was going to be discontinued in lieu of an electric successor.

CVT's are new and demonstrating themselves to be shitty. I drove a manual for 15 years, never had to replace the transmission until last year when I got a new car. I understand they're trying to phase them out but I don't think you'll ever get rid of manual transmission. Maybe it'll be niche but it's been like that for a long time

No they're not, unless you get something that is a financially viable alternative and right now they just aren't it. Chevrolet is already talking about 7th Gen Camaro after vehemently stating that it was going to be discontinued in lieu of an electric successor.

CVT's are new and demonstrating themselves to be shitty. I drove a manual for 15 years, never had to replace the transmission until last year when I got a new car. I understand they're trying to phase them out but I don't think you'll ever get rid of manual transmission. Maybe it'll be niche but it's been like that for a long time
Pure ICE cars are going away, I don't think that is really up for debate. Diesels I think will have their niche for longer than commuter cars due to long haul trucking and what not but as far as commuters, they will be replaced by something else. Now what does replace them is up for debate but right now electric cars are the front runners. There will be a transition period of course but the tech has come extremely far in the last 15 years. Will it remain on the trajectory? Maybe, but automakers aren't putting much (if anything) in developing pure ICE cars/engines.

And with all the electric cars worldwide, you would think the demand for oil would be lessened which would lower the price of gas, but nope. It takes forever for prices to go down and they do so very, very slowly. But a sparrow could fart near a pipeline and they jump .10 instantly. It’s disgusting.

The excuse to raise the prices when some catastrophe occurs is that the oil companies will lose money if they don’t raise the price, yet these motherfuckers break record profits every single year.

B-b-but they don't mean to raise prices! They only do it because Joe Biden is being so mean to them and it causes them to drink! They promised they'd stop beating us if we just give them all the oil leases they want and stop all this talk about leaving them!

The only thing conservatives like more than bitching about the price of gas is bitching about alternatives to gas. They want to be forever beholden to their oil exec daddies.

And if they want to lock you down to keep your from traveling, they just disable your car.
Most retarded take ever. Why the fuck couldn't they do that with a combustion car? You gonna make fuel at home?

More people have solar and wind. You could charge your own car pretty easily.
Refining your own diesel isn't a walk in the park.

Most retarded take ever. Why the fuck couldn't they do that with a combustion car? You gonna make fuel at home?

More people have solar and wind. You could charge your own car pretty easily.
Refining your own diesel isn't a walk in the park.

It has nothing to do with creating energy. It is about pushing a button and turning your vehicle off.

And of course they could probably do that with any new car, but it is easy and immediate to do that with a car that is in constant communication with a server.

If you are talking about shutting down gas stations, then yeah, that would work for anyone who needs gas to travel, but it wouldn't shut down cars that are already full of gasoline.

If a Tesla detects any minor issue, the car is disabled and has to be taken to a dealership for repair. Meanwhile you can drive around with bad O2 sensors forever. there is a big difference between the technology of those 2 types of vehicles.

Back