Economy The US added 1.2 million electric cars to the US last year an what happened to the grid?

How is electricity use going down? That doesn’t make sense to me even if you don’t account for electric cars

How is electricity use going down? That doesn’t make sense to me even if you don’t account for electric cars

Solar generation on single family homes is going up. Demand on grid goes down.

Welcome to de-industrialization. Industry is almost always the largest user of electricity, when you ship all your factories overseas, well...there you go...

Gas and electric cars are for suckers.

1910-model-63.jpg

Everyone predicted adding a million electric cars to the US grid would take it down. Well over 1 million electric cars where added an the electrical use actually went down not the grid. There maybe many reasons why this happened?

"
2023 set another record for EV sales in the United States. About 1.2 million vehicles, or 7.6% of all sales, were electric according to Kelley Blue Book."

"
With over 1 million new EVs plugging into garage outlets, home charging stations, and Superchargers, you’d think our electricity usage would have shot up dramatically. You’d be wrong."

"
Through November 2023 (the latest data available from the Energy Information Administration), electricity generation was down by 1.1%.

This is a great piece of news we should be talking about more. Electricity use has been flat for the last 20 years, hovering between 3,800 and 4,000 billion kWh annually even though the population has increased by 30 million people, our homes have gotten bigger, we’ve added over 5,000 data centers, and we now have 2.5 million EVs plugging into the grid."

"

"
How is this possible? One word — efficiency. Our electric appliances have gotten so much more efficient. Thank you technology improvements and appliance standards! There was a 50% improvement in US energy intensity (energy use compared to GDP) from 1980 to 2014, for example. (Also, in case you were curious, electricity use hasn’t stayed flat because people switched to gas. Residential gas use has been flat since the 1970s.)

The magic of efficiency could and hopefully will continue this 20-year miracle of keeping electricity consumption flat even while we add lots of new loads, as there is so much more low hanging fruit to be picked. LEDs still need to finish their market domination, and heat pumps are only just getting started and will save oodles of energy for space and water heating and even clothes drying. Building codes are continuously improving, as are appliance standards, meaning our homes and buildings and everything that uses energy in them, are constantly becoming more efficient (with no compromise in performance)."

"
This all adds up. With the 1% that electricity production declined in 2023, we could have added something like another 10 million EVs to the grid last year and our overall electricity use would still have remained the same.

How’s that for some good news? Next time you hear that we won’t have enough power to electrify everything, talk about the magic of efficiency that has made overall electricity use go down even as electric vehicles begin to scale."

Or maybe people just can't afford the stupidly inflated prices of energy now and have cut back on use of pretty much everything?

Guy at work just bought a Tesla. It’s brand new and apparently he loves the thing. $7,500 dollar tax credit.

Insular hayseeds afraid of change.
I think it may be the issue with the countries electrical infrastructure not being able to handle a fleet of electric cars. If you can’t keep grandma’s heart monitor working during a snow storm; maybe look at what we can do to modernize our electrical infrastructure. been a conversation that pre-dated the mass produced electric car by decades.

fire-marshall-bill-in-living-color-lachlan-harvey.jpg
I will say that as a firefighter electric cars scare the shit out of me. Those batteries are fucking incendiary bombs lol. Somewhat stable yes, but one bad bump and that thing will burn for fucking ever. Could be a couple days later after the incident as well.

I don't think I'd recommend owning one if I had an attached garage. That and random side note but if you own an electric scooter, bike, or hoverboard maybe don't charge it inside the house.

Ok done preaching.

Last edited:
Basically the end goal in all this is to have fleets of electric vehicles that can be rented. They want to end individual car ownership. In time, the cars in the fleet will be self-driving and only allowed to go at predetermined locations, i.e. you won't get to go where you want. That should have been obvious already because the sheer amount of materials required to make these vehicles make it a literal impossibility. If you were to swap all vehicles for electric ones in the US alone you would need to use up the world's entire annual production of cobalt 14 times over, 5 times that of lithium and 7 years' worth of the entire annual production of neodymium. For one country. Even in an extremely optimistic scenario, the only possible outcome of an EV "transition" will be that the number of cars on the road will dramatically plummet and car ownership will no longer be within the grasp of the middle class.

This is the meaning behind "You'll own nothing and be happy," at least in this area. They know boomers and gen X won't go for it, hence why they're working very hard at brainwashing gen Z, and millennials to a lesser extent, because they have no memory of how things were before and will put up much less resistance to having their freedom of movement taken away.

Basically the end goal in all this is to have fleets of electric vehicles that can be rented. They want to end individual car ownership. In time, the cars in the fleet will be self-driving and only allowed to go at predetermined locations, i.e. you won't get to go where you want. That should have been obvious already because the sheer amount of materials required to make these vehicles make it a literal impossibility. If you were to swap all vehicles for electric ones in the US alone you would need to use up the world's entire annual production of cobalt 14 times over, 5 times that of lithium and 7 years' worth of the entire annual production of neodymium. For one country. Even in an extremely optimistic scenario, the only possible outcome of an EV "transition" will be that the number of cars on the road will dramatically plummet and car ownership will no longer be within the grasp of the middle class.

This is the meaning behind "You'll own nothing and be happy," at least in this area. They know boomers and gen X won't go for it, hence why they're working very hard at brainwashing gen Z, and millennials to a lesser extent, because they have no memory of how things were before and will put up much less resistance to having their freedom of movement taken away.

And if they want to lock you down to keep your from traveling, they just disable your car.

This is the content I live for.

I don't remember what, if any numbers, have been thrown around but I'm still skeptical that the grid in it's current form can handle everyone switching over to EV right now. And we've already seen what happens in places like California when there is little heatwave, the state tells you not to charge your car, or when it gets too cold, EVs have trouble charging and are less efficient with what they do get.

People being so against electric cars has always been weird to me. No one is forcing you to drive or buy one.
I don't think anyone is against them. I think most people are against being required to use them. Electric cars have been a thing for a while and they were never a political issue until people started talking about mandating them, or forced phasing out of gasoline powered vehicles. That last part of what you said is key.

Right now nobody is forcing you, but they would sure like to

I don't remember what, if any numbers, have been thrown around but I'm still skeptical that the grid in it's current form can handle everyone switching over to EV right now. And we've already seen what happens in places like California when there is little heatwave, the state tells you not to charge your car, or when it gets too cold, EVs have trouble charging and are less efficient with what they do get.

I did the back of envelope calculations for California and it's not even close, they'll need to add the equivalent of a 3 Gorges Dam to supply all the extra juice.

I've also worked out the numbers for the entire US somewhere, IIRC we'll need to build something like 100 new nuclear plants, and big ones too to run a fleet of electric vehicles. That's more nuke plants than the US has right now.

Back