Economy Do you own an Electric vehicle?

William Munny

My Pronouns: Fuck/You
Banned
Reaction score
This is borderline a Mayberry thread but this subject has some political undertones.

Do you own an electric vehicle, if so, what kind? do you find it as dependable as your previous gas powered ones? is the "refueling" process for you time efficient?

Do you have any caveats? or do you believe it to be a great purchase ?

all opinions welcome.

No. I think a lot of them are amazing and would love to own one. However, I live in SoCal. We produce 200 TWh or Electricity a year. We use 260 TWh a year. We import 60 TWh, mostly from Arizona nuclear plants. We are reducing our energy production over the next 5-6 years by at least 20TWh a year. Owning an electric car in California is for those that are not paying attention. They have a high probability of brick status. If we resolve our energy issues, I would be in the market for a Tesla Plaid. Until then, I'll stick with my amazing F-150 3.5 Ecoboost (Turbos).

Electric cars need to standardized on about 3 swapable battery platforms to end the long hours of charging.

No. I think a lot of them are amazing and would love to own one. However, I live in SoCal. We produce 200 TWh or Electricity a year. We use 260 TWh a year. We import 60 TWh, mostly from Arizona nuclear plants. We are reducing our energy production over the next 5-6 years by at least 20TWh a year. Owning an electric car in California is for those that are not paying attention. They have a high probability of brick status. If we resolve our energy issues, I would be in the market for a Tesla Plaid. Until then, I'll stick with my amazing F-150 3.5 Ecoboost (Turbos).

Electric cars need to standardized on about 3 swapable battery platforms to end the long hours of charging.
this is one of the reasons why I haven't pulled the trigger yet on purchasing one.
If the powergrid fails, and/or unable to generate enough energy for someone to 'Refuel" their vehicle, then what?

No, but I want one. If the $7500 tax credit continues and my company continues to offer a $4000 credit, I may be getting one in the next couple of years.

I don’t, since I work from home and sold my car, my wife and I just share one and I have an electric scooter for short errands if I need to go somewhere during the day.

However, they now transitioning us back to 2 days in the office per week, been borrowing my dads car for those days, but am thinking about getting a Tesla.

My brother has one, and his own charger at home. It is very fun to drive and I think it is awesome. A full charge would get me to work and back easy, then we have my wife’s car (Highlander) for family stuff, which we need anyways due to kids, needing a big car.

I actually dislike our Highlander (loved our rav4 tho), and would much prefer a Tesla to it.

Edit: I am not familiar with any electric models outside the various Teslas

No, and no plans for one.​

There is NO infrastructure for electric cars, people just don't get it.

For how many years have we heard there’s no infrastructure for electric cars, but every time a bill comes up to improve our infrastructure, one side votes against it while screaming that our country is crumbling.

Last edited:
This is borderline a Mayberry thread but this subject has some political undertones.

Do you own an electric vehicle, if so, what kind? do you find it as dependable as your previous gas powered ones? is the "refueling" process for you time efficient?

Do you have any caveats? or do you believe it to be a great purchase ?

all opinions welcome.
I have 3 electric bikes.
2 of them were great purchases.
I love riding them and always use them for commuting, unless it’s raining, in which case I take a bus.
(The family owns two gas powered cars also)

It wouldn’t be practical for me. I live in the country and spend a few days a week in the woods, on rough and hilly dirt roads that would reduce the EV range significantly. Not interested in getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. I also tow trailers regularly with significant loads, so it’s a non starter for me.

Nope. Was thinking about getting one for my wife as she works in the city and it would be more practical .

I truthfully drive my company truck majority of the day . Really isn't practical for the company to have any though as a tradesmen on the road

Nope. My province is going to be in the same boat as California with respect to electricity supply once Pickering nuclear gets shut down around 2026. When that happens our grid stability will go down the shitter and prices will rise significantly, wouldn't trust the grid to keep my car charged and there's not enough flow on my micro-hydro setup to keep the lights on and charge EVs at the same time.

had a fully electrical Nissan Leaf, have a plug in prius, and cybertruck on the way

biggest difference is battery anxiety, it's a thing. have a bunch of ebikes as well. takes a bit of time to charge with conventional 110, but night to morning should be done. it's reliable

For how many years have we heard there’s no infrastructure for electric cars, but every time a bill comes up to improve our infrastructure, one side votes against it while screaming that our country is crumbling.
because democrats invest in feel good infrastructure that is horribly inefficient and doesnt scale well, while demonizing and blocking tried and true energy solutions.

Yes, a Tesla Model 3 a couple years old. Best car I've ever had by far. Highly doubt I'd switch away from Tesla. Recharging is nothing because you can just charge at home, and when you have to drive on long country trips it's easy to stop at a supercharger station. Too many perks to list. Unbeatable.

Yes, a Tesla Model 3 a couple years old. Best car I've ever had by far. Highly doubt I'd switch away from Tesla. Recharging is nothing because you can just charge at home, and when you have to drive on long country trips it's easy to stop at a supercharger station. Too many perks to list. Unbeatable.

I know several people that own them and I believe they are great. I'll say your long trips are ok because electric ownership is still so niche. If you had to wait behind three cars to charge your car on a road trip that would suck. There's going to be some serious growing pains if/when electric cars capture more market share.

Back