Economy Do you own an Electric vehicle?

I know several people that own them and I believe they are great. I'll say your long trips are ok because electric ownership is still so niche. If you had to wait behind three cars to charge your car on a road trip that would suck. There's going to be some serious growing pains if/when electric cars capture more market share.

Yea I'd swear by it at this point. Earlier in the year we drove up to the mountains for my mom's bday. You can check even if a charging station nearby is busy or go to another. But you make a good point, that if the population of electric cars were a lot higher people who were lazy on charging their car or traveling would probably make wait times pretty bad. Because even now, sometimes if you go like "after work hours on a Friday" or "Saturday late morning" it could be full and you might have to wait for a car or two, so if there were a lot more cars there definitely would need to be more stations.

had a fully electrical Nissan Leaf, have a plug in prius, and cybertruck on the way

biggest difference is battery anxiety, it's a thing. have a bunch of ebikes as well. takes a bit of time to charge with conventional 110, but night to morning should be done. it's reliable
Enjoy that cybertruck.

No.
If I lived in the city and had a regular commute, I would definitely get an EV for one vehicle.

But I don't and like my road trips.

Plug in at home and regular commute seems like the only way to do those.

I replaced my gas mower with a Makita electric mower. Two sets of batteries, but I'm usually able to get the yard done with one set. No more fucking around trying to get the gas mower to start and no more hauling gas cans. I am pleased with the purchase.

Just purchased a plugin hybrid. Excited to charge at home every night and go gas-free around the city.
We have a Hyundai Ionic plugin hybrid and it’s the best of both worlds. My wife routinely gets 1000+ miles per tank of gas with daily charging, I think her best was 1700 miles.

I wish more car companies had plugin models, until we have better infrastructure it’s the best solution imo

I've been looking at a hybrid in the Ford Maverick, but it will be a while before I can justify getting something new.

No. It just doesn't seem worth it at the moment. Maybe if gas prices skyrocketed again and maybe if I drove a lot i might consider one.

I won't lie though self-driving features seem pretty cool

We have a Hyundai Ionic plugin hybrid and it’s the best of both worlds. My wife routinely gets 1000+ miles per tank of gas with daily charging, I think her best was 1700 miles.

I wish more car companies had plugin models, until we have better infrastructure it’s the best solution imo
I had the original leaf, and even that was fairly usable for orange county to LA and back. The tank only had 100 mile range, which is absurdly low compared to tesla's. There werent many times where the old lady and I were held back and had to take the gas vehicle, once in a blue moon going to san diego or santa barbara....

250 miles or more would be ideal for most scenarios, 400+ vehicles are good enough for interstate travel, probably.

plugin hybrid is fine, great mileage, got one after the EV was returned, the incentives were too good to ignore, and the same reason I'm getting another EV, and the same reason I have solar + powerwall, the incentives means that they are not as big of a liability and the solar is definitely an asset.

Anyone that owns or believes that EV vehicles are the future is a complete idiot.

I had the original leaf, and even that was fairly usable for orange county to LA and back. The tank only had 100 mile range, which is absurdly low compared to tesla's. There werent many times where the old lady and I were held back and had to take the gas vehicle, once in a blue moon going to san diego or santa barbara....

250 miles or more would be ideal for most scenarios, 400+ vehicles are good enough for interstate travel, probably.

plugin hybrid is fine, great mileage, got one after the EV was returned, the incentives were too good to ignore, and the same reason I'm getting another EV, and the same reason I have solar + powerwall, the incentives means that they are not as big of a liability and the solar is definitely an asset.

Hybrids are fine, but full on EV cars are impractical for numerous reasons.

Yes, a Tesla Model 3 a couple years old. Best car I've ever had by far. Highly doubt I'd switch away from Tesla. Recharging is nothing because you can just charge at home, and when you have to drive on long country trips it's easy to stop at a supercharger station. Too many perks to list. Unbeatable.

And you don't mind that you burn through tires faster?

I know several people that own them and I believe they are great. I'll say your long trips are ok because electric ownership is still so niche. If you had to wait behind three cars to charge your car on a road trip that would suck. There's going to be some serious growing pains if/when electric cars capture more market share.

You should talk to people in California who are lined up for hours waiting to charge their EVs how they stay cool.

If an EV senses a problem, it won't let you operate it. Meanwhile you can drive with a bad O2 sensor forever.

If the Government wants to lock you down, they'll just immobilize your car.

No, and no plans for one.​

There is NO infrastructure for electric cars, people just don't get it.

I have a 240v/50 amp plug in my garage. It works great.

So........

I love my Chevy Bolt. 7 months without a gas station. Instant torque. One peddle driving is beyond amazing.

I have a 240v/50 amp plug in my garage. It works great.
Ohms Law Math shows the wattage is handled. 12 kWatts, impressive AF.
750 watts = 1 HP

What is your approximate recharge time?

Is your home fully functional during the recharging?

Last edited:
I've been looking at a hybrid in the Ford Maverick, but it will be a while before I can justify getting something new.

Have you seen the hybrid in person or tested it? My wife wanted a new car and actually was going to get the Maverick last spring. Was her favorite at the time. We went to go see it at Ford, she test drove it, hated it, and we left lol. She got a Mazda CX-30 instead.

And you don't mind that you burn through tires faster?

Lol no, I changed tires for the first time a few months ago. If I end up changing tires 3 times in 9-10 years that wouldn't feel like an issue at all, especially considering all the improvements the Model 3 gives compared to my past cars.

Ohms Law Math shows the wattage is handled. 12 kWatts, impressive AF.

What is approximate recharge time?

Is your home fully functional during the recharging?

The Bolt is a slow charging car. It pulls 32 amps I believe. It is fast enough that I never really care. It isn't for road trips tho.

Charging does nothing to the house and there is plenty of room in the panel still.

Hybrids are fine, but full on EV cars are impractical for numerous reasons.
with a two car household, the second vehicle is gas, so it's alright, and when push comes to shove, an ev can work pretty good. I found myself going months before I ran into scenarios where I really had to get a gas vehicle, mainly because my wife didnt recharge <Lmaoo>

I was going for the Chevy Silverado EV as I own the regular Chevy Silverado but GM pushed back the release date. The Ford F150 Lightning with 230 mile range is not enough for me an I am not buying Platinum edition.

Rivian R1T is to expensive new but I see them used tempted. Charging stations are popping up everywhere few Tesla charging stations. GM likely delayed because they are switching to North American Standard charging adapter "Tesla"
I need a truck an options are limited an expensive. Going to make it a company truck just ran 50 amp circuit to my garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back