Social DEI is so dead

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So I'm in this corporate group with leaders from a lot of different companies, and they bring in different speakers to talk about business trends, leadership, strategy, etc.

The speakers are generally pretty good. The facilitator asks the audience to have their cameras on so it'll be a more interactive experience and usually 90% of us do leave our cameras on.

But today they brought in a speaker with a background that was all related to DEI stuff, so I turned my camera off and decided to listen while I got some actual work done.

About 10 minutes in, I happened to click back to that screen and saw that everyone else's camera was turned off too. I started scrolling to see if I could find a single person with a camera turned on and I found maybe 5 or 6 people out of 70ish had actually left their cameras on.

This was unusual for this group. Never seen anything like it. I think they all had the same thought I did as soon as they heard DEI, they just decided they're was no reason to pay attention anymore.

So I'm in this corporate group with leaders from a lot of different companies, and they bring in different speakers to talk about business trends, leadership, strategy, etc.

The speakers are generally pretty good. The facilitator asks the audience to have their cameras on so it'll be a more interactive experience and usually 90% of us do leave our cameras on.

But today they brought in a speaker with a background that was all related to DEI stuff, so I turned my camera off and decided to listen while I got some actual work done.

About 10 minutes in, I happened to click back to that screen and saw that everyone else's camera was turned off too. I started scrolling to see if I could find a single person with a camera turned on and I found maybe 5 or 6 people out of 70ish had actually left their cameras on.

This was unusual for this group. Never seen anything like it. I think they all had the same thought I did as soon as they heard DEI, they just decided they're was no reason to pay attention anymore.
Im glad this one anecdotal instance is proof positive that DEI is on its way out. I'll sleep better knowing so.

The speaker was parroting that same old line too, about how diversity is so important to a company's success, because it brings in different viewpoints...

That's such bullshit. Can you imagine everyone in a meeting, and the boss says, "I like Maria's idea. Good thing her grandparents were from Mexico or else she never would've thought of it."

The speaker was parroting that same old line too, about how diversity is so important to a company's success, because it brings in different viewpoints...

That's such bullshit. Can you imagine everyone in a meeting, and the boss says, "I like Maria's idea. Good thing her grandparents were from Mexico or else she never would've thought of it."
Odd that you'd take the energy to get upset about this and post it here considering the avatar you are using..

I'm sure that's what the speaker meant by diversity bringing in different viewpoints, lol.

I can say without question that diversity has no bearing on a company's success

I can say without question that diversity has no bearing on a company's success
Well, a massive mining company very close to home is regretting hiring a pile of women miners. They can't lift the tools and will not progress beyond the bottom jobs. Not exactly a formula for success for a company with any forward thinking.

Well, a massive mining company very close to home is regretting hiring a pile of women miners. They can't lift the tools and will not progress beyond the bottom jobs. Not exactly a formula for success for a company with any forward thinking.
Is this "massive mining company close to home" the same one from the story that floated around for years where the women who worked in the office saw what the men made, complained about the pay gap, were sent into the mines to make what the men made, most quit when they realized how hard it was, and their original jobs were sourced to a different company?

Or is it, you know... real?

Is this "massive mining company close to home" the same one from the story that floated around for years where the women who worked in the office saw what the men made, complained about the pay gap, were sent into the mines to make what the men made, most quit when they realized how hard it was, and their original jobs were sourced to a different company?

Vale in Sudbury Ontario. Formerly Inco. My miner friends that work there as well as mine manager friend tell the same tge same story.

Do you know how a search engine works?

Do we have any stats on wage disparity with legal but non Americans or people who aren't white?

Do you know how a search engine works?

Do you? The website links that come up when I put that in show:

1st: A site talking about getting more women into the role

2: A site talking about a discrimination lawsuit over hiring practices

3.-end of first page: more sites trying to attract women into the role.

Where is the site that says "women in mining positions incapable of doing job?" Its sure not reflecting in my search, even with more targeted phrasing, nothing comes up.

The guy provided his source, I'll take him at his word as I think based off the subject of the articles there are labor shortages and it sure seems like theyd rather have women in those roles than nobody, but I can imagine for the men working those jobs theyre pissed when someone gets in who cant do it and gets special treatment.

I was just being cheeky as it sounded exactly like a story I remember seeing for years.

Step 1: Look out for the trendy thing conservatives are getting rage boners about
Step 2: Find the trendy rage boner inducing thing in your personal life- reaching to find an example is encouraged!
Step 3: Concoct an anecdote about the rage boner inducing thing and post about it on a karate forum
Step 4: Take a bath in all the rage boners you have created among the people posting in your thread

Back when Bush was president, the trendy thing was gay marriage
Obama: still gay marriage for a bit, but then the Tea Party was created to oppose anything he thought about or did (tan suit, grey poupon, etc.)
Trump: find anything you don't like and/or identify with, call it woke

I'm willing to bet 5 years ago most people didn't know what DEI stands for.. but now that it's the trendy thing to hate, everyone does.

The market corrects this stuff. Firms that hire better people do better and make more money. If a firm ignored a huge pot of talent because of racial or gender bias, competing companies would quickly eat their lunch by hiring in a race & gender blind way. Having huge DEI departments may be good politically, but adds no actual value to what any organization actually does. More firms and universities are going to quietly scale DEI back because it does not improve organizational outcomes. This is a trend we're already seeing in many industries, and will surely gain momentum.

It has been weakened but it’s still no where close to dead. There is a DEI hire running for President as we speak and could win. It’s still infecting all of our institutions and most corporations.

I’m not naive to think it took 2-3 years to kill something that has been imposed on the west to escalating degrees for nearly 70 years.

Back