Curran jacobs vas Gordon Ryan beef

He actually does train BJJ or at least with people versed in BJJ. He trains with a guy I know pretty well named Andrew Peterson. We're from the same area and I rolled with him a few years ago. I don't know how frequently Curran actually trains because he also does theater and is pursuing acting. But yeah, Andrew Peterson is one of the guys who trains with him, probably his main local grappling coach and he is a BJJ brownbelt. I'm sure they train exclusively no-gi though, so you might just call it grappling.

Curran got his own gym when he prepares for his catch wrestling matches. When he prepares for MMA he trains at Murcielago MMA.

I'll add that Curran did compete in Naga and he does also compete in MMA.

He competed once in Naga like 5 years ago. He also have 1 pro fight.

. Gary tonons grappling style has more to do with this athleticism than anything. And by the set of techniques he uses, he is a danaher product.

Nah, Tonon is not an impressive athlete at all. Ryan is, but Tonon has solid locks and clever tricks.

Nah, Tonon is not an impressive athlete at all. Ryan is, but Tonon has solid locks and clever tricks.

Watching them compete though Gary def seems like the wild and athletic of the two. Gordon may be jacked but he rolls pretty conservative energy wise.

Watching them compete though Gary def seems like the wild and athletic of the two. Gordon may be jacked but he rolls pretty conservative energy wise.

Competed against both of them twice and you are just simply incorrect. Tonon is of average strength (for a grappler) whereas Ryan is much stronger and faster. Tonon does clever stuff.

To see an example of his power level, check out his defeat by Rustem Chiev. Smashed him. Cause Tonon is not that strong.

Curran got his own gym when he prepares for his catch wrestling matches. When he prepares for MMA he trains at Murcielago MMA.

He competed once in Naga like 5 years ago. He also have 1 pro fight.
Me and Curran both live in East Lansing. I rolled with him before at Murcielago (where I used to be one of the grappling instructors), straight grappling and I know for a fact that he has trained grappling in preparation for catch-wrestling with Andrew Peterson, a guy whose gym I used to coach at.

Competed against both of them twice and you are just simply incorrect. Tonon is of average strength (for a grappler) whereas Ryan is much stronger and faster. Tonon does clever stuff.

To see an example of his power level, check out his defeat by Rustem Chiev. Smashed him. Cause Tonon is not that strong.

well I never competed against them so I’ll take your word for it. Just watching them though it looks like Gordon is more methodical and Tonon more mobile.

how big are you in comparison to them? If you’re bigger than Gary but smaller than Gordon that might play into it.

That’s what he’s saying Gordon might be a l stronger, but he moves a looot slower and in a methodical mode. Gary loves scrambles, and is fast as fuck, also very flexible and shows extreme dexterity in his movements, to me that’s a bigger indicator of his athletism

with all the respect, you faced brand new purple in Gordon, that Gordon was mainly a guard puller leg locker, Gordon now is more like roger Gracie, slow methodical ridiculous passing.

with all the respect, you faced brand new purple in Gordon, that Gordon was mainly a guard puller leg locker, Gordon now is more like roger Gracie, slow methodical ridiculous passing.

TBH his passing game was the biggest issue then as well. Look at Tabor vs Ryan 1 and you can see the pass game is what fucked me up.

Anyways, my main point is that Ryan is the superior athlete. If he's more methodical now, he's definitely not smaller or weaker.

TBH his passing game was the biggest issue then as well. Look at Tabor vs Ryan 1 and you can see the pass game is what fucked me up.

Anyways, my main point is that Ryan is the superior athlete. If he's more methodical now, he's definitely not smaller or weaker.
When people talk about athleticism, often they mean speed, agility, balance, the ability to make explosive movements and not necessarily brute strength. I think that is what they intended when they said Tonon was more athletic.

When did Tonon and Chsiev grappled? EBI maybe? Strangely I have no memory of such match happening

it was like watching a dude run into a brick wall.

When people talk about athleticism, often they mean speed, agility, balance, the ability to make explosive movements and not necessarily brute strength. I think that is what they intended when they said Tonon was more athletic.

Two different energies. Tonon doesn't feel like he uses much energy. He's down to bust a flip, but I don't feel the explosiveness. Ryan is bigger, faster, stronger, and more efficient to boot. Tonon feels more like Bill Cooper than he does Ryan.

Edit: And why WOULD you remember it or even know?

Well, first of all I thought that it was more recent and that it simply went off my radar. I didn't follow EBI as much as the rest and all I could remember about it was his final against Gordon.

But other than that I was a big fan of Rustam since he made himself known; in particular his way of grappling aggressively caught my attention cause at the time, when he started to wreck even high people people around ten years ago, there weren't many if any with a style as unorthodox and unusual as his. I think I remember pretty much every top grappler match he had, except in EBI indeed.

So that's why I was surprised I never heard about this one against Garry, but I see they didn't put it online (or at least I can't find it) and it's not even on Tonon's Bjj Heroes page as a record so yeah, I guess I couldn't have probably known anyway without being there in first person as you.

Well, first of all I thought that it was more recent and that it simply went off my radar. I didn't follow EBI as much as the rest and all I could remember about it was his final against Gordon.

But other than that I was a big fan of Rustam since he made himself known; in particular his way of grappling aggressively caught my attention cause at the time, when he started to wreck even high people people around ten years ago, there weren't many if any with a style as unorthodox and unusual as his. I think I remember pretty much every top grappler match he had, except in EBI indeed.

So that's why I was surprised I never heard about this one against Garry, but I see they didn't put it online (or at least I can't find it) and it's not even on Tonon's Bjj Heroes page as a record so yeah, I guess I couldn't have probably known anyway without being there in first person as you.

Gotcha. This was before the snobbery era lf the sport.

Yeah I saw that, he’s passing was good, even back then, but it’s lights years years from what it is now.

gorfon is bigger and stronger, it doesn’t mean he’s more athletic, you would expect a guy much bigger to be much stronger.

Honestly i think Gordon's size and "supplements" were more about helling his wrestling more than anything

Catch wrestling looks a lot like pro wrestling. It seems like the atmosphere is important.

That said, any form of grappling, bjj, folk, greco, judo, is dope to watch as a spectator sport.

I support the melding of styles and stylistic clashes.

Back