Curran jacobs vas Gordon Ryan beef

you are comparing 3 grapplers with huge weight difference ryan , tonon and gordon, it doesn't make much sense to say who wins because it wouldn't make sense even in open weight

also the curran guy isn't completely clueless

Last edited:
hey @tekkenfan show us a vid of you shadowboxing in your aunt's living room again , gonna add it to spacetime's hall of fame along with ironkhan
i dont even have an aunt god your such a lame dork lol your profile pic says it all XD

Fact is, his style is basically Japanese catch/luta livre or at least very, very similar to it. I didn't say he was a product of any particular Japanese catch or luta livre guy. Obviously, he's a Danaher guy. But his whole approach, with the scrambling, the takedown to submission entries, the rolling submissions...its essentially what Masakatsu Funaki called "kaitentai."

And we all know that a person can come out of one person's gym with a style similar to another person who never shared a dojo or a mat or a ring with that individual.

On the topic of Gary, the leg game, and catch...

So after EBI 3, when Karen Darabedyan lost to Gary Tonon in the semis, Gokor comes back to the gym the week after the event and explains how he just met Gary at EBI 3.

He says that he was frustrated by the Hayastan teams performance at EBI 3 because "I know our style works. I know these techniques work. How do I know? This guy Gary, I never met him before. He comes up after the match with Karen and he thanks me. He says 'I just wanted to thank you Gokor, I've been studying your content and leglock system for years, it's an honor to finally meet you."

So yeah. Tonon is definitely a Danaher product but he happily told Gokor he had been privately studying the content that him and Gene Lebell had been putting out over the years back in 2015.

On the topic of Gary, the leg game, and catch...

So after EBI 3, when Karen Darabedyan lost to Gary Tonon in the semis, Gokor comes back to the gym the week after the event and explains how he just met Gary at EBI 3.

He says that he was frustrated by the Hayastan teams performance at EBI 3 because "I know our style works. I know these techniques work. How do I know? This guy Gary, I never met him before. He comes up after the match with Karen and he thanks me. He says 'I just wanted to thank you Gokor, I've been studying your content and leglock system for years, it's an honor to finally meet you."

So yeah. Tonon is definitely a Danaher product but he happily told Gokor he had been privately studying the content that him and Gene Lebell had been putting out over the years back in 2015.
Wow, very interesting. That's awesome that he actually gave Gokor credit face-to-face. Pretty cool.

. Gary tonons grappling style has more to do with this athleticism than anything. And by the set of techniques he uses, he is a danaher product.
Nah , bruh. Dude just has GREAT movement , and timing.

But I thought bjj guys were skinny nerds who would get destroyed by the macho catch wrestler. Didn't Sakura destroy the Gracies? But scooting is so stupid right guys?

But I thought bjj guys were skinny nerds who would get destroyed by the macho catch wrestler. Didn't Sakura destroy the Gracies? But scooting is so stupid right guys?
Butt-scooting annoys me as a tactic but I don't think I ever claimed it was ineffectual. It can certainly be effective, not the least because it can spare someone from dealing with an area of grappling where he might be weak or place himself at risk. I don't think it is entertaining and I certainly think there should at least be forms of submission grappling where it is barred because active engagements on the feet can be potentially the most exciting part of grappling. And I think grappling as a whole is more exciting when engagement on the feet and on the ground make up a united whole rather than being somewhat segregated from one another.

Butt-scooting annoys me as a tactic but I don't think I ever claimed it was ineffectual. It can certainly be effective, not the least because it can spare someone from dealing with an area of grappling where he might be weak or place himself at risk. I don't think it is entertaining and I certainly think there should at least be forms of submission grappling where it is barred because active engagements on the feet can be potentially the most exciting part of grappling. And I think grappling as a whole is more exciting when engagement on the feet and on the ground make up a united whole rather than being somewhat segregated from one another.

I think it was pretty obvious that guy was speaking in bad faith; not enough time in the world to dignify every passive-aggressive dork in the world with an earnest response when a dismissive insult back would be more appropriate.

Dude, I still don't understand how the CACC can be in the state that is despite Saku. What he and Fedor did was simply stunning. Since then, however, with Khabib training BJJ instead of pushing and pulling for SAMBO respect, there is no more guys like them.

I think it was pretty obvious that guy was speaking in bad faith; not enough time in the world to dignify every passive-aggressive dork in the world with an earnest response when a dismissive insult back would be more appropriate.

I think the "passive-aggressive dork" kind of has a point, who knows more style vs style would stop this kind of thing, but without them we just have past fights and theoretical ones to talk about.

Not enough Curran Jacobs in todays world I suppose :) :) :) :) :)

Sometimes I miss the style vs style matches of the old I confide :) :) :) :) :)

Dude, I still don't understand how the CACC can be in the state that is despite Saku. What he and Fedor did was simply stunning. Since then, however, with Khabib training BJJ instead of pushing and pulling for SAMBO respect, there is no more guys like them.

I think the "passive-aggressive dork" kind of has a point, who knows more style vs style would stop this kind of thing, but without them we just have past fights and theoretical ones to talk about.

Not enough Curran Jacobs in todays world I suppose :) :) :) :) :)

Sometimes I miss the style vs style matches of the old I confide :) :) :) :) :)
I miss the style vs style days as well..

Isn't the moral of the story though that you are obsolete if you don't cross train? The high level BJJ based guys aren't only training gi for nogi grappling competitions and mma. Khabib is more likely to encounter high level BJJ in his MMA career, he'd be silly not to train with them. And it is even more true if you are primarily from some smaller niche with a much smaller talent pool. How much does the BJJ talent pool outnumber that of catch - and that much more high level competition to train against? Steel sharpens steel and all that. It doesn't mean a CACC style couldn't still get the job done, but if these guys want to do it all within the frame of catch wrestling, they better go get some exposure to BJJ and develop catch-based counters. Like how you gonna be that confused by a butt scoot...

Isn't the moral of the story though that you are obsolete if you don't cross train?

It sure is ... but damn, how I miss the style vs style arcade \ King of Fighters kind of sh1t!
Heck, in the UFC1 the first fight was between a Dutch Savate \ Karate guy vs a Hawaiian Sumo one. lol

And the ducth savate guy was an dirty and all around badass guy, and the Hawaiian sumo guy became an actor lol

About BJJ becoming the style instead of just one more,. . . I just don't understand, the Pride era had a SAMBO guy and a CACC one as heroes, so they should be bigger. But we don't have any guy from CACC doing good, as long as i know, and the guy from SAMBO as I said, "surrendered" to BJJ just like the rest. Well, things are what they are.

?Guys, how dumb r u

Curran obvilously THREW THE MATCH AND TRIED TO LOOK BAD so and that he is saving the REAL SHIT for when Gordan takes hum lightly and real macho crsuhing Curran smeshes him with REAL SHIT

Like how you gonna be that confused by a butt scoot...

Actually, one of his main grappling instructors, or at least, a guy who was one of his main grappling instructors when I was in the loop, is a major butt-scooter. Of course, its not just who you roll with but what you take from those rolls.

Back