Curran jacobs vas Gordon Ryan beef

BJJ_Rage

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just ended without ever happening, jacobs got humbled by a 10p dude, with ease 2 times in under 2 minutes total (or close)

Well guys, I think it doesn’t get any clearer than this, being a big fish in a small pool, doesn’t mean much at the elite grappling level, despite how “brutal” and “crushing” and “macho men” your grappling style is...

I stated elsewhere that I wanted Curran to do do well to create some buzz but he was pretty clearly outclassed.

There's no surprise that it would end up that way. Among the active catch wrestlers competing Curran is the only one not training in BJJ or competing in other sports.

I know Curran is supposed to be the champion and face of the sport because of his wins in 2018 but I, and many others never considered him the best. The only legit competitior he actually beat in catch was Johnny Buck, and even that win was a bit controversial. Sure Ruiz is also a great grappler but he's almost 50 years old.

Other wrestlers I would rank above Curran is Ian Jones and John Hathaway. Both are undefeated in catch wrestling. Jones is also a black belt in BJJ and Hathaway had a 9-2 UFC record before he retired from MMA. Both of them would have a better perfomance against Quentin and be better representatives of the sport.

There's no surprise that it would end up that way. Among the active catch wrestlers competing Curran is the only one not training in BJJ or competing in other sports.

I know Curran is supposed to be the champion and face of the sport because of his wins in 2018 but I, and many others never considered him the best. The only legit competitior he actually beat in catch was Johnny Buck, and even that win was a bit controversial. Sure Ruiz is also a great grappler but he's almost 50 years old.

Other wrestlers I would rank above Curran is Ian Jones and John Hathaway. Both are undefeated in catch wrestling. Jones is also a black belt in BJJ and Hathaway had a 9-2 UFC record before he retired from MMA. Both of them would have a better perfomance against Quentin and be better representatives of the sport.

he really looked lost in there, I was just watching a vid of his calling out Gordon back in 2018, where he says that Bjj isn’t the most efficient ground art, then goes out and does this, looked totally lost..

Last edited:
Guys, Curran only lost because bjJ is too easy and the rules are too watered down, so he lost.
IF it was a real match with aggrivse power and crushing, he win easy.

Guys, Curran only lost because bjJ is too easy and the rules are too watered down, so he lost.
IF it was a real match with aggrivse power and crushing, he win easy.
thats not far from the truth

Just ended without ever happening, jacobs got humbled by a 10p dude, with ease 2 times in under 2 minutes total (or close)

Well guys, I think it doesn’t get any clearer than this, being a big fish in a small pool, doesn’t mean much at the elite grappling level, despite how “brutal” and “crushing” and “macho men” your grappling style is...

Jesus, how could he have not seen the armdrag he got caught in at 4:50. The other dude set it up so slowly he could have directly told him in advance. It's almost comical how he fell for it.

And this guy wanted to grapple Gordan. "lol"

Jesus, how could he have not seen the armdrag he got caught in at 4:50. The other dude set it up so slowly he could have directly told him in advance. It's almost comical how he fell for it.

And this guy wanted to grapple Gordan. "lol"

the arm drag was really silly lol... not even Quentin could’ve believed Curran just gave it to him

He actually does train BJJ or at least with people versed in BJJ. He trains with a guy I know pretty well named Andrew Peterson. We're from the same area and I rolled with him a few years ago. I don't know how frequently Curran actually trains because he also does theater and is pursuing acting. But yeah, Andrew Peterson is one of the guys who trains with him, probably his main local grappling coach and he is a BJJ brownbelt. I'm sure they train exclusively no-gi though, so you might just call it grappling.

Last edited:
I personally do have an issue with people deciding that what catch-wresting means is not the collective techniques and insights of the submission wrestling art practiced by Evan Lewis, Ad Santel, Lou Thesz, Sakuraba, Minoru Suzuki, etc., but simply a sport with pins and submissions. Catch-wrestling has been redefined into a rule-set, starting somewhat with Jake Shannon. I am personally no fan of that and don't really identify with that. What is interesting about catch-wrestling are its techniques and IMO, its general fast-moving aesthetic.

In so many ways, Garry Tonon is clearly influenced by that style, whether or not he'd acknowledge it, even more than everyone who uses a toe-hold or a short-arm scissor is influenced by it knowingly or not.

I'll add that Curran did compete in Naga and he does also compete in MMA.

I personally do have an issue with people deciding that what catch-wresting means is not the collective techniques and insights of the submission wrestling art practiced by Evan Lewis, Ad Santel, Lou Thesz, Sakuraba, Minoru Suzuki, etc., but simply a sport with pins and submissions. Catch-wrestling has been redefined into a rule-set, starting somewhat with Jake Shannon. I am personally no fan of that and don't really identify with that. What is interesting about catch-wrestling are its techniques and IMO, its general fast-moving aesthetic.

In so many ways, Garry Tonon is clearly influenced by that style, whether or not he'd acknowledge it, even more than everyone who uses a toe-hold or a short-arm scissor is influenced by it knowingly or not.

. Gary tonons grappling style has more to do with this athleticism than anything. And by the set of techniques he uses, he is a danaher product.

. Gary tonons grappling style has more to do with this athleticism than anything. And by the set of techniques he uses, he is a danaher product.
Fact is, his style is basically Japanese catch/luta livre or at least very, very similar to it. I didn't say he was a product of any particular Japanese catch or luta livre guy. Obviously, he's a Danaher guy. But his whole approach, with the scrambling, the takedown to submission entries, the rolling submissions...its essentially what Masakatsu Funaki called "kaitentai."

And we all know that a person can come out of one person's gym with a style similar to another person who never shared a dojo or a mat or a ring with that individual.

Last edited:
Fact is, his style is basically Japanese catch/luta livre or at least very, very similar to it. I didn't say he was a product of any particular Japanese catch or luta livre guy. Obviously, he's a Danaher guy. But his whole approach, with the scrambling, the takedown to submission entries, the rolling submissions...its essentially what Masakatsu Funaki called "kaitentai."

And we all know that a person can come out of one person's gym with a style similar to another person who never shared a dojo or a mat or a ring with that individual.

and his scrambling and submission hunting has more to do with his athletism, the rolling submissions is a standard of today’s no gi scene. Yes Japanese catch was very similar, I would say he’s closer to daisuke nakamura than to imanari though. It’s just an agressive grappling style. Luts livre is not though, luta livre mentality is way closer to the American catch mentality (aka Jacob Curran’s) than is to Japanese catch, but It also depends on the branch. You have guys like chocolate, from rft who would never ever in his life concede being on his back, then you have Nicolas riner who doesn’t care, then is not only the branch but the physical attributes that mandate what style of grappling you will be more comfortable with...In my opinion once the gi is off is all basically grappling. I do agree with Japanese catch being really close to the actual no gi Meta though.

I actually think @Kforcer has a good point about there being some catch in Garry's stye whether it's intentional or not. I can see it. Honestly I don't think athleticism is a huge part of is stye. That might sound silly and I guess it depends on what you consider athleticism. He definitely has insane cardio, and uses a lot of dexterity and balance. I mean I'll never say anyone that can defend an uchi mata by doing a head-standing cartwheel isn't athletic. I don't think it's the main ingredient for his success thouh.

If you roll with him (even his opponents will say this) he doesn't use a lot of strength or power on anything. He stays incredibly relaxed and just moves a lot. He never stops moving and he combines that with a tendency to just "do things" in the moment. He's also so well rounded in every area of the game that these thins combined to make a very difficult opponent.

That Quentin guy’s game is very similar to my own ... that’s almost exactly how I like to play guard.

The arm drag was ridiculous. How do you not see that coming.

That kimura from the back position is glorious, and is the best use of kimura.

I actually think @Kforcer has a good point about there being some catch in Garry's stye whether it's intentional or not. I can see it. Honestly I don't think athleticism is a huge part of is stye. That might sound silly and I guess it depends on what you consider athleticism. He definitely has insane cardio, and uses a lot of dexterity and balance. I mean I'll never say anyone that can defend an uchi mata by doing a head-standing cartwheel isn't athletic. I don't think it's the main ingredient for his success thouh.

If you roll with him (even his opponents will say this) he doesn't use a lot of strength or power on anything. He stays incredibly relaxed and just moves a lot. He never stops moving and he combines that with a tendency to just "do things" in the moment. He's also so well rounded in every area of the game that these thins combined to make a very difficult opponent.

That’s what I mean by athetism, never though on Gary’s game being based on strength and power. Guess the definition of athletism is too wide. For example, his game relies much more on his athletic skills than Gordon’s.

Yeah, this Curran fellow felt like the typical wrestler that is confused by the idea that one can be comfortable and fight from bottom.

Back