Backyard Tapout Fighter Vs. Jiu-Jitsu Competitor

Am I a bad person because my favorite vid of the TS is the one where he KOs himself with a failed flying triangle?

You shouldn't have even worn your gi pants, it would've been funny if you just pretended to be clueless then schooled them.

JK, cool vid and cool story. You weren't trying to humiliate the poor kid or anything just showing him what grappling really is.... TS has a nasty guard

If I was you, after 5 minutes of destroying him, I'd think my experience was shown enough. I would just be like, hey man check out this hip bump to triangle combination.

Might as well give them some techniques.

LOL, yeah because "hip bump to triangle" is exactly what you should teach someone that doesn't know how to pass guard or hold proper side control.:icon_neut

I am not sure that I feel the guy was so humble initially as others are saying. Looks to me like he was expecting to run over the other guy, he jumped for a sloppy leglock and cranked it for all his might, and then he tried to slam out of a triangle.

I don't know about you fellows, but I have yet to roll with a humble individual who aggros and slams guys in triangles.

It appears the first triangle there made him humble and he rolled with a bit more control for the duration IMHO.

I am not sure that I feel the guy was so humble initially as others are saying. Looks to me like he was expecting to run over the other guy, he jumped for a sloppy leglock and cranked it for all his might, and then he tried to slam out of a triangle.

I don't know about you fellows, but I have yet to roll with a humble individual who aggros and slams guys in triangles.

It appears the first triangle there made him humble and he rolled with a bit more control for the duration IMHO.

^ very true... I forgot about the slam.

and then he tried to slam out of a triangle.

Nay man i think he just doesn't know grappling etiquette. He even says "oh my bad" right after he does it. Guy was anything but an agro spaz.

I don't get the people who think this is bullying or whatever either. TS didnt go in there and do a bunch of neck cranks or slicers or anything. If the guys in the video fancy themselves as grapplers than the ass-kicking they received should inspire them more so than humble them.

Nay man i think he just doesn't know grappling etiquette. He even says "oh my bad" right after he does it. Guy was anything but an agro spaz.

Oh I see, I have to keep my audio really low or off at work so I didn't hear anything of course. From visual alone, it looks dickish.

I will give the dude some credit though, he slapped the forehead and took a good penetrating shot (although he didn't penetrate much) knee pounded and extended for the takedown so maybe he has wrestled a bit before.

His frequent collar tie during standup shows he used to wrestle. Or maybe he learned that on Youtube too.

I love watching these ghetto fight videos on Youtube. Im amazed at how bad most of these "tough guys" are. They leave huge holes where they would just get killed by someone who had trained even a few months.

Beat me to it. The Gracies are well known for their dojo-storming, and challenge matches. Heck, half of us train at schools with a Gracie lineage. It's part of your heritage, so live with it.

LOL, EXACTLY. All these guys bitching and moaning about "ego" need to realize that the Gracies had HUGE egos and went around challenging all the neighborhood punks to fight them for basically no reason other than to prove that Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is the best.

Both Sean and the kid he rolled with were actually really well-behaved in the video. There wasn't even any trash talking, the dude was like "oops, sorry" and "whoa, what was that technique you just did on me?" Totally tame, and nothing wrong with it at all.

lol its cool if you want to stroke your ego on Sherdog by tapping out random people in a backyard. But its kind of stupid for people to justify that you did it with righteous intentions. Like you tapped him for his own good. As if you're like the Jesus Christ of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. LOL!

You went out of your way to beat a noob, because you felt you had something to prove to him. Thats all and thats it. Nothing wrong with it really. But like a poster already said, Dont smear shit on bread and tell us its a peanut butter sandwich.

You keep missing my point. And I think its because you keep trying to prove that you should have nothing to prove. Which isn't what I'm arguing at all. What you're saying in a nutchell is, "Why should you roll with them? Let them be arrogant. I know what I know and that's what matters. What would I gain from proving them wrong?"

Nothing. But THEY could learn so much more from being humbled.

thats a nice way to spin it.

Last edited:
You guys are hating on a guy who posted a video of him knocking himself out trying to do a flying triangle in competition. YouTube - How not to do a flying triangle by Sean Roberts

I don't think he takes himself too seriously on here or in life. He seems to me like a good guy who may have been annoyed with some wannabe tough guys and went to their place to show them a thing or two and did it in a good way.

Save your holier than thou shit. These kids sounded like retards anyway. At least they got some edjicatin out of it.

Whats funny is there are so many people who debate that BJJ wouldn't work in an actual fight if it went to the ground with the exception of course of the Grappling Forum. Even though there aren't any punches being thrown this video is proof that if you are proficient in BJJ (Sean Roberts is a little more than proficient) that you can handle most people who don't have a clue or have a little idea of grappling if it goes to the ground without having to hurt the guy unless you want too.

Why would a purple belt seek out retarded, backyard fighters who have never seen proper training in their lives to roll with them? I fail to understand what you could gain from that, other than bragging rights to come on Sherdog and boast which is immature and probably not how a "Martial Artist" should conduct himself.

Nothing against your post at all because your not the only one that felt that way but I laughed out loud after I read "which is immature and probably not how a "Martial Artist" should conduct himself" and then looked at your avatar, hahahaha... NICE!

I don't know why everyone whines about this video. It's not like I turned it up to tournament mode and f'd the guy up. It's more like a big reality check for them, and a good way to kill some free time between jiu-jitsu practice. At the end of the day we even invited them to come try a free class.

I don't mean to bash on all the backyard wrestlers that post on sherdog that learn moves from the 2010 UFC video game.

there is nothing wrong with a bunch of broke kids who love martial arts getting together and having some fun. Obviously if they could, they would be at the best gyms in the world. Youtube martial artists> people who think martial arts are stupid

Nice sitting Omoplata attempt there right at the end.

I think I might hold onto this vid and use it to show people what real jiu-jitsu is.

Call it "Jiu-jitsu VS. somone who THINKs they know how to fight!"

Since when did this forum get so self-righteous and up tight? Maybe Sean was being a little immature, maybe he wasn't. Bottom line was that he had some time to kill so he went to a backyard grappling club, showed them where the bar is at, and had a little fun in the process. Maybe it's not your cup of tea and maybe it's not something you would have done, but nobody got hurt and nobody got insulted or belittled, so I really don't see what the big deal is. The trumped up indignation and holier-than-thou attitudes around here are really a downer. Let's try not to take ourselves quite so seriously, guys....

since when did this forum get so self-righteous and up tight? Maybe sean was being a little immature, maybe he wasn't. Bottom line was that he had some time to kill so he went to a backyard grappling club, showed them where the bar is at, and had a little fun in the process. Maybe it's not your cup of tea and maybe it's not something you would have done, but nobody got hurt and nobody got insulted or belittled, so i really don't see what the big deal is. The trumped up indignation and holier-than-thou attitudes around here are really a downer. Let's try not to take ourselves quite so seriously, guys....

+1000

Back