Backyard Tapout Fighter Vs. Jiu-Jitsu Competitor

iirc cageside mma sells mat tape to tape them jigsaws together..of course if you want portable mats the tape is out

Gorgeous armbar at 3.45, never seen that before.

I don't see it as bragging. Just funny. If this were a video of him crushing some clown in sweatpants, I could see people getting bitchy, but this is nothing to be whiney about.

Many of us started BJJ thinking we were badass, and were humbled (or humiliated) in our first roll.

Whether it be by a kid 100 lbs lighter, or a 50 year old dude, or a girl, it's a common experience for spazzy white belts to learn the power of BJJ by being tapped by someone with inferior physical attributes.

I treasure that experience because it opened my eyes, I don't resent getting tapped by someone I was bigger and stronger than.

I've heard many of the legends interviewed on the FightWorks Podcast, and many of them were friends of the Gracies but didn't train BJJ. Often they did TKD or something similar. Their first experience in BJJ was getting tooled by a small kid (often Royler). Usually this is all it took for them to become addicts. I enjoy these stories because it shows even 7 stripe blackbelts start with that same revelation.

So the TS humbles some backyard guys, and does it in a friendly and smooth way. This is in the tradition of BJJ and the backyard guys should be grateful they've been shown the joy and effectiveness of good quality BJJ.

Last edited:
Him going for a knee bar and falling on his face the best. He obvioulsy knew nothing about grappling, when you were in side control he was turning away from you and staying flat on his back.

I'm a blue belt I would have played some kinda game, I probably wouldn't have done the awesome face plant knee bar. Other than that I'm not sure I would do that much better. Sean is good.

Yeah that's a good point, it's not like most guys who do actually train would have done much better than the guy in the video did. Sean is a good purple belt, you'd have to be very good yourself to not look like you're getting schooled by him.

Whether it be by a kid 100 lbs lighter, or a 50 year old dude, or a girl, it's a common experience for spazzy white belts to learn the power of BJJ by being tapped by someone with inferior physical attributes.

Hey now..... I'm a 50 year "old" dude & I don't see that as having "inferior physical attributes" (& neither do the young guys at the school I attend) (edit: "young guys" being anyone under 40).

I don't see what people problems are with the OP. He rolled with some wannabes & schooled them. The vid showed him (& the other guy) being controlled & respectful.

I had a similar experience last weekend. My Nephews (wrestled in high school & have a small amount of "BJJ" training from dubious sources & a lot of back yard "training") have been talking smack about taking out the "old" Uncle every since they found out that I trained. I tapped them one after the other several times & was never in any danger from any of their "techniques". 2 of them had to quit rolling after puking their guts out. I hadn't even broken a sweat. And I'm just a white belt in BJJ.
Talking to them afterwards they decided that perhaps they needed to find some proper training, especially since I informed them that I wasn't even that good & a real bluebelt, or above, would have schooled them even quicker.
The funniest part though was my little Sister's new husband, who claims to have fought in the UFC (couldn't provide me with names of who he's fought or which events, but said that his "record" was two 2nds & a 3rd :icon_lol:), suddenly decided that he didn't have any clothes to roll in & had to leave before it was his turn..... maybe next time I visit.

NIIIIIICE!!!! Looks like the room got quite after this post.....

I noticed that too.A few brave souls said it was still wrong, but with the utmost respect. My personal opinion is : good job, showing that real training is much better then backyard fun time is always great in my book. As long as you don't straight up smash the newbie I see no wrongs.

I don't think he was really showing off much. Everyone on here talks shit about guys that don't train posting these backyard MMA fights. The backyard kid was surprisingly humble and didn't appaer to be a tool like most these YT fighters think they are. I wish TS would post the backyard fight videos that the kid originally posted

You keep missing my point. And I think its because you keep trying to prove that you should have nothing to prove. Which isn't what I'm arguing at all. What you're saying in a nutchell is, "Why should you roll with them? Let them be arrogant. I know what I know and that's what matters. What would I gain from proving them wrong?"

Nothing. But THEY could learn so much more from being humbled.

You're putting too much emphasis on the intention. Its not about the everyday purple belt and whatever point he's trying to the backyard grappler. Its the outcome is much more important. WHY DOES IT MATTER if the actual practitioner feels he should prove something? The OTHER person will gain something from it. So again, regardless of the TS motive or why this roll happened, this person has grown from this experience and that's what's important.

Maybe if I use your analogy it'll help relate the point I'm trying to make. Say I did critisize Hawking. In him not responding, I would gain nothing. But if he were to lecture me, even if it was out of spite, I would know more than what I did before. How I decide to interpret and use my new found knowledge is now entirely up to me but because of the lecture I have this option. In a way, someone could say your outlook is selfish.

I suggest you go back and read the original post. Specifically this part:

[]QUOTE]My friend and I were surfing the internet looking for those backyard fightclubs on Youtube where the people think they know how to do jiu-jitsu and do MMA but just plain suck. Annoying right?[/QUOTE]

First, as I have already stated, there is nothing wrong with backyard grappling/wrestling. Why anyone finds this annoying, or instantly leaps to the conclusion that these guys must think they know BJJ simply because they like to grapple, is beyond me. It's asinine.

Second, while you might try to wrap this experience up as some kind of charitable event for the benefit of the backyard grapplers, but it's quite obvious that was not the intent. You can smear a little peanut butter on a shit sandwich and try to convince me it's a peanut butter sandwich, but I'm not going to buy that, either. Sean and his buddy were so intent on helping these guys that they spend a good bit of time laughing at the videos.

We came across a backyard fight video that made us laugh soooooo hard...

and only became incited when someone who apparently claimed to study BJJ was subbed.

...but after looking through a few videos they showed a video of one of their guys tapping a so called jiu-jitsu fighter.

That is ego talking. That is not some overwhelming need for generosity. It's annoyance that someone might dare imply that they were able to submit a BJJ practitioner.

Beyond that, if you believe that a response from Stephen Hawkins is somehow going to enlighten a person so deluded that they actually levied criticism at him despite their complete lack of knowledge of theoretical physics, you're fooling yourself. It takes a special kind of delusion to believe one thing in the face of massive amounts of evidence. I might liken to to religious fanaticism, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

hey now..... I'm a 50 year "old" dude & i don't see that as having "inferior physical attributes" (& neither do the young guys at the school i attend) (edit: "young guys" being anyone under 40).

I don't see what people problems are with the op. He rolled with some wannabes & schooled them. The vid showed him (& the other guy) being controlled & respectful.

I had a similar experience last weekend. My nephews (wrestled in high school & have a small amount of "bjj" training from dubious sources & a lot of back yard "training") have been talking smack about taking out the "old" uncle every since they found out that i trained. I tapped them one after the other several times & was never in any danger from any of their "techniques". 2 of them had to quit rolling after puking their guts out. I hadn't even broken a sweat. And i'm just a white belt in bjj.
Talking to them afterwards they decided that perhaps they needed to find some proper training, especially since i informed them that i wasn't even that good & a real bluebelt, or above, would have schooled them even quicker.
The funniest part though was my little sister's new husband, who claims to have fought in the ufc (couldn't provide me with names of who he's fought or which events, but said that his "record" was two 2nds & a 3rd :icon_lol:), suddenly decided that he didn't have any clothes to roll in & had to leave before it was his turn..... Maybe next time i visit.

haha thats awesome.

If I was you, after 5 minutes of destroying him, I'd think my experience was shown enough. I would just be like, hey man check out this hip bump to triangle combination.

Might as well give them some techniques.

If I was you, after 5 minutes of destroying him, I'd think my experience was shown enough. I would just be like, hey man check out this hip bump to triangle combination.

Might as well give them some techniques.

Read the story of what happened, he said him and his buddy did show them some techniques.

How many of us started training because of the early ufcs or the gracies in action videos? Nobody seemed to care when Rickson slapped a man in the face to get him to fight him for disrespecting jiu jitsu. Its ok for Rickson to do because he's Rickson?

If I had a backyard grappling club, and I saw this video and knew it was a backyard grappler vs a trained grappler, I would be pretty motivated to go train at a legit school.

I don't see it as bragging. Just funny. If this were a video of him crushing some clown in sweatpants, I could see people getting bitchy, but this is nothing to be whiney about.

Agree. I don't know why people in this thread are tripping out. It makes me wonder if they actually train or not.

BJJ is a humbling sport. You get tapped out 24/7 when you first start and usually there's someone in your gym that taps you out at will until you get to a certain level. My point is, unless you are some sort of prodigy, you have gone through this and have learned from it.

Sean rolled nicely and in a controlled manner. From that alone, they could learn, hey maybe I need a real instructor rather than youtube videos. One guy actually showed up to the gym a few times, which means he figured out he needed instruction. Too bad money was an issue.

For him posting up the video, maybe there some lurking youtube grapplers who can learn the same lesson (that they need real instruction).

How many of us started training because of the early ufcs or the gracies in action videos? Nobody seemed to care when Rickson slapped a man in the face to get him to fight him for disrespecting jiu jitsu. Its ok for Rickson to do because he's Rickson?

Beat me to it. The Gracies are well known for their dojo-storming, and challenge matches. Heck, half of us train at schools with a Gracie lineage. It's part of your heritage, so live with it.

BTW.. You can never gauge personality reliably from a message board. I don't know Sean personally, but I have rolled with him. He subbed me a bunch of times, then when class was over, he called me to the mats to teach me everything he caught me with. I didn't even ask. Pretty generous if you ask me.

Very nice flow rolling, your comp video was sick.

Back