Backyard Tapout Fighter Vs. Jiu-Jitsu Competitor

What *I* find annoying is that people get so offended about guys who do backyard grappling. I spent a good part of my youth grappling in the backyard with friends of mine. Some had wrestling experience from school, and some just liked to wrestle/grapple. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with it. Not in the slightest.

There are much less productive, and certainly far more destructive things that kids could be doing than wrestling in their back yard. This might come as a shock to you, but kids wrestling around in the grass existed long before BJJ.

The sad thing is that you really felt the need to take time out of your day to go and try to prove something to these guys. I wonder how many people who dedicate a large portion of their time to playing basketball make it a point to show up at playgrounds to prove how much better they are than kids who are doing it for fun? It's funny, I don't remember seeing any videos of Chelsea Baker showing up in some random kids back yard in an effort to prove they can't play baseball for shit. Why is that, I wonder?

Oh... right... because she's not an asshole.

This is a nice controlled grappling match but all that matters is how fast and strong you transisitions are.

Why don't you grapple with an evenly matched person at full speed and tape it? That would be something to talk about.

YouTube - Sean Roberts (Ralph Gracie)

Theres a video of him in competition.

He didnt hurt him or anything, just showed him the difference between training at a legit school, and watching instructional videos from youtube. Hopefully the guy started training after this.

I hope that the guy decided to train in BJJ after such event.

He didnt hurt him or anything, just showed him the difference between training at a legit school, and watching instructional videos from youtube. Hopefully the guy started training after this.

He's pretty good at grappling. Now throw in some punches and kicks and he's a legit badass.

Edited for misunderstanding.

Nice video, TS has a lot of skill. Hope he keeps up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video. Has the guy actually come back and trained at all in your school?

What *I* find annoying is that people get so offended about guys who do backyard grappling. I spent a good part of my youth grappling in the backyard with friends of mine. Some had wrestling experience from school, and some just liked to wrestle/grapple. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with it. Not in the slightest.

There are much less productive, and certainly far more destructive things that kids could be doing than wrestling in their back yard. This might come as a shock to you, but kids wrestling around in the grass existed long before BJJ.

The sad thing is that you really felt the need to take time out of your day to go and try to prove something to these guys. I wonder how many people who dedicate a large portion of their time to playing basketball make it a point to show up at playgrounds to prove how much better they are than kids who are doing it for fun? It's funny, I don't remember seeing any videos of Chelsea Baker showing up in some random kids back yard in an effort to prove they can't play baseball for shit. Why is that, I wonder?

Good point friend

I don't think its the fact that they grapple in the back yard. I think its the attitude that some carry with them. They get very arrogant by making outrageous claims such as tapping out actual BJJ practitioners. It belittles the efforts of those that actually take the art seriously.

Whether you like the motives of the TS or not, in the end this guy was humbled. I think he's better off for it than staying in the delusional state he was in. Whether he continues his backyard grappling or actually gets proper instruction now, he won't go around thinking that he'll be tapping out anyone and everyone under a BB. He has a better grasp of what he's actually accomplishing. In short, some people just need a reality check.

hey he tapped out benson henderson at grappler's quest not bad

I don't think its the fact that they grapple in the back yard. I think its the attitude that some carry with them. They get very arrogant by making outrageous claims such as tapping out actual BJJ practitioners. It belittles the efforts of those that actually take the art seriously.

Whether you like the motives of the TS or not, in the end this guy was humbled. I think he's better off for it than staying in the delusional state he was in. Whether he continues his backyard grappling or actually gets proper instruction now, he won't go around thinking that he'll be tapping out anyone and everyone under a BB. He has a better grasp of what he's actually accomplishing. In short, some people just need a reality check.

yes I suppose this is true too

If he was trying to open up that guys surrounding he wouldn't have uploaded a video and posted it on Sherdog. I doubt the video was uploaded without the other guys consent, and I am sure he would not be happy to see how it is labeled and how he is being perceived

Um, it looks to me like the guy who got his ass whopped aka "Tapout Fighter" is the one that posted lol. Look at the channel.

Nice, that's the way to do it, just go really light and make it look effortless, and when he's all "what was that" you just tell him what you did. Did you invite him to come train in the gym after that?

Um, it looks to me like the guy who got his ass whopped aka "Tapout Fighter" is the one that posted lol. Look at the channel.

Yea I actually wanted to bring that up too. It sounds like the camera guy was one of the "Tapout Fighters" which lead me to assume that they posted it originally.

This video is almost 2 years old but its good for laughs. My friend and I were surfing the internet looking for those backyard fightclubs on Youtube where the people think they know how to do jiu-jitsu and do MMA but just plain suck. Annoying right? We came across a backyard fight video that made us laugh soooooo hard but after looking through a few videos they showed a video of one of their guys tapping a so called jiu-jitsu fighter. Turns out that the fight club was about 25 minutes away from our jiu-jitsu academy. So we contacted them and they told us to show up that day.

Little did they know that we were gonna show up with our gi pants and shirts that we got from competing in jiu-jitsu tournaments.

I had just gotten my purple belt a few months before this video was taken.

1:49 gets armlocked finally taps and asks "what was that?" and i reply
2:13 epic faceplant from a failed kneebar

Nice, that's the way to do it, just go really light and make it look effortless, and when he's all "what was that" you just tell him what you did. Did you invite him to come train in the gym after that?

Actually we did invite them. Only one showed up for a few classes the rest never showed up.

Ok...sean...you are a horrible story teller. haha. This is the deal

The guy in the video was a pretty cool guy. He seemed humble and willing to learn. He even came to our gym a few times after but couldnt due to money. This is just the only video evidence of us attending the 'fight club'

Background:

Sean and I were killing time in between our morning and afternoon training. We searched Craigslist for "jiu jitsu" and came across a whole bunch of postings on this 'backyard fight club' in a few of the posts they were bragging about how they tapped jiu jitsu competitors and out boxed boxers. Included were links of them tapping jiu jitsu guys, which it looked to be somebody that had less than a month of training.

Things along the lines of this were linked in every post:

They posted a phone number and in our boredom called it. They said they were training in 20 min so we decided to go. We told them we had some experience grappling. We drove to my house and picked up some puzzle mats and headed there. No way I was rolling on the carpet in the video.

It was lead by 2 brothers which were clearly the ones making all of the noise on craigslist. We started by saying that we had grappling experience and they asked us to show a few moves. I showed a super basic sweep from the closed guard and I think sean showed an armlock or something. They did the move maybe 5-6 times. We explained that we saw them on youtube and offered some advice on some of the basic positional concepts behind jiu jitsu. They asked to roll.

Sean went first with one of the brothers. Sean took it super super easy. He was just flow training and the guy gased in maybe 2 min. I think he got 10 taps in 5 min if memory serves.

I roll with the other brother..which was more of the leader. From the get go he jumps super aggressive for a guillitine and i just move and pass guard really slow. He grabs a headlock from bottom side control and squeezes with all of his might. I move to mount with the headlock still on a la old school gracie self defense stuff. I wait very patiently trying to relax the neck as he was squeezing really hard. I didnt want to cross face followed by armbar because I wanted to not be seen as going hard on them.

I wait 45 seconds and his brother yells "dude...i dont think you have it in quite right"... He pulls harder. I start to get angry that hes not letting go and is hurting my neck. I had a comp that weekend and I didnt want a sore neck. I decide to cross face. I did. HARD. He rolls to his back I sink in my hooks and secure the RNC....I was not nice about the RNC. Sean will attest to the sound that came out of him when I slapped it on. haha...I was pretty pissed. I tapped him 2x in another min and he quits the roll and goes inside. I dont get pissed easily on the mat. I probably shouldnt have, but it is what it is.

Sean then rolls with the guy in the video who was visiting for the 2nd time i think.

The day ended when somebody in the family had a "lergic" reaction to peanuts and had to go to the hospital. Some of the more memorable experiences are when they told us to go take a leak in the neighbors yard over by the broken beer bottles abd some of the justification they were using why they couldnt tap sean or I. The best is when I asked one of them where they got their techniques and they answer "mostly eddie bravo"

They have since never made another post on craigslist or their website.

my neck was sore for a week =(

Hogey, the title of the thread may seem antagonistic or malicious but thats just seans sense of humor. He was nothing but nice to the kid as you can see, and invited him to train at his gym. Its the kids youtube channel, not Seans. The kid needed to feel what a trained grappler feels like and he did. Now its up to him to decide what to do with it next. Either train legit, or dont act like you know bjj. I believe this video was the wakeup call they needed, as they stopped posting vids completely after that. Hopefully they train somewhere now and love it as much as we do.

And lol to whoever is implying Sean's grappling is pure sport and if you add punches and kicks etc etc.. I dont know your credentials but my money is on Sean regardless of rules.

Yes, it *is* annoying when these "tapout fighters" as you call them brag about their "skills" when they probably do not even train(like your opponent in the vid). But really, ppl on here are complainign ebcause they think youre bragging or beating up an untrained person?

Good job in showing him its better not to brag about their non existant skills and show them what happens when you actually train.

Nice vid, saved it right to my favorites!

lol at lergics post.

I just explained the story behind his sn too!

Dan you are much better at telling stories than me. Lol @ the guy sqeezing you in a headlock from the bottom. I wish we brought our own cameras!!!!!!

Hogey, the title of the thread may seem antagonistic or malicious but thats just seans sense of humor. He was nothing but nice to the kid as you can see, and invited him to train at his gym. Its the kids youtube channel, not Seans. The kid needed to feel what a trained grappler feels like and he did. Now its up to him to decide what to do with it next. Either train legit, or dont act like you know bjj. I believe this video was the wakeup call they needed, as they stopped posting vids completely after that. Hopefully they train somewhere now and love it as much as we do.

And lol to whoever is implying Sean's grappling is pure sport and if you add punches and kicks etc etc.. I dont know your credentials but my money is on Sean regardless of rules.

Yeah sorry, Didn't know it was that kid who posted the video, I can understand why you guys find it funny.

Good for you guys inviting them to train with you, disappointing only one of them showed up.

Back