Backyard Tapout Fighter Vs. Jiu-Jitsu Competitor

I don't know why everyone whines about this video. It's not like I turned it up to tournament mode and f'd the guy up. It's more like a big reality check for them, and a good way to kill some free time between jiu-jitsu practice. At the end of the day we even invited them to come try a free class.

I don't mean to bash on all the backyard wrestlers that post on Sherdog that learn moves from the 2010 UFC video game.

Don't let it trouble you Sean - nothing here to whine about. These guys invited you, they filmed it, they posted it. You behaved respectfully and honorably throughout. I can find no fault here.

It was great to meet you in June at the ModCom Sub Grappling Smoker and I see the same friendly dude I met there in this vid.

Nice work and thanks for posting.

Since when did this forum get so self-righteous and up tight? Maybe Sean was being a little immature, maybe he wasn't. Bottom line was that he had some time to kill so he went to a backyard grappling club, showed them where the bar is at, and had a little fun in the process. Maybe it's not your cup of tea and maybe it's not something you would have done, but nobody got hurt and nobody got insulted or belittled, so I really don't see what the big deal is. The trumped up indignation and holier-than-thou attitudes around here are really a downer. Let's try not to take ourselves quite so seriously, guys....

this post >>>> this thread

I just realized the majority of sherdoggers are shertards. No wonder people worth reading from never post on here. You idiots are annoying to call this immature, disrespectful, etc. Get over yourselves.

I, myself roll with people who don't know much about jiu jitsu. Do I teach them from it?. Yes. Did these guys probably learn a thing or two? Absolutely and were given open invitations into the gym.

I bet the ones complaining are the Internet nerds who don't train, but wish they did and are getting mad bc they see people of their kind getting tooled, so eff off. (no offense GSparky) lol

There's also the possiblity that some of these "back yard fighters" simply cannot afford the cost of a legit school.

Paying $150 or more a month is a huge chunk of change for some people. Heck, I consider myself to have a great job and it's still alot of money for me!

Everyone seems to be missing the point here. It isn`t about the video or what happened in it. I roll with noobs all the time too and tap them silly just as well. But I just don`t start threads on sherdog telling everyone how I went to a beginner`s class put a bunch of white belts in their place tonight. That isn`t what I train for.

I don't know why everyone whines about this video. It's not like I turned it up to tournament mode and f'd the guy up. It's more like a big reality check for them, and a good way to kill some free time between jiu-jitsu practice. At the end of the day we even invited them to come try a free class.

There`s nothing wrong with the video, apart from the fact that you felt the need to go there and prove something. What I have beef with is you posting the video here and boasting about it. There`s nothing so great about it. You`re a high level purple belt taking on noobs, what do you suppose that video showed?

I don't mean to bash on all the backyard wrestlers that post on sherdog that learn moves from the 2010 UFC video game.

There you go again. If you weren`t so full of yourself you probably wouldn`t need to bash kids who are just having fun.

Last edited:
Wow, this thread got way out of hand.

TS was invited to grapple with this kid.
TS did not post the video, the kid did.
TS was nice, kid was nice (he did immediately apologize for the slam).
Kid got tooled but seemed amazed by what was happening, seemed like he had fun too.
TS found out the video was on youtube and was amused.

So, what's the problem?

Nothing against your post at all because your not the only one that felt that way but I laughed out loud after I read "which is immature and probably not how a "Martial Artist" should conduct himself" and then looked at your avatar, hahahaha... NICE!

This

Wow, this thread got way out of hand.

TS was invited to grapple with this kid.
TS did not post the video, the kid did.
TS was nice, kid was nice (he did immediately apologize for the slam).
Kid got tooled but seemed amazed by what was happening, seemed like he had fun too.
TS found out the video was on youtube and was amused.

So, what's the problem?

Sherdog's the problem.....

There you go again. If you weren`t so full of yourself you probably wouldn`t need to bash kids who are just having fun.

I am sorry buy anyone who post a video of them koing themselves in a tournament attempting a flying triangle is not full of themselves.

The video is funny. It is always funny when delusional people get educated. The guys doing backyard grappling and boosting about tapping BJJ guys are ignorant, you do them a favor when you dispel that ignorance.

Since when did this forum get so self-righteous and up tight? Maybe Sean was being a little immature, maybe he wasn't. Bottom line was that he had some time to kill so he went to a backyard grappling club, showed them where the bar is at, and had a little fun in the process. Maybe it's not your cup of tea and maybe it's not something you would have done, but nobody got hurt and nobody got insulted or belittled, so I really don't see what the big deal is. The trumped up indignation and holier-than-thou attitudes around here are really a downer. Let's try not to take ourselves quite so seriously, guys....

Nothing wrong with the video. Nothing wrong with going to work out with some back-yard grapplers. The ATTITUDE is the problem.

First off, he openly mocks people who grapple for fun in their back yards without any formal training. And don't get me wrong, he is certainly not the only one. There is, however, nothing wrong with people who enjoy backyard grappling any more than people who enjoy backyard football, baseball, etc.

Things brings us back to a question concerning why you train BJJ? It's been established many times over that the majority of Sherdog posters do not train BJJ for self defense. This would suggest that they do it because it is a fun activity and/or for fitness. If that is the case, then what "bar" is Sean showing these guys? Are you suggesting it's more fun to train in a formal class than it is to grapple with friends in someones back yard? That's pretty fucking subjective. The only "bar" that Sean could have been showing these guys is one concerning the effectiveness of backyard grappling vs. formally trained grapplers. And since we've already established that a vast majority of forumites don't train BJJ for its "street effectiveness," it makes VERY little sense. Unless, of course, you're suggesting that the guys who posted the video were grappling in their backyard for self defense purposes rather than for fun... in which case you might have a point. You might also meet the DSM-IV criteria for having an intellectual disability, but you'd at least have a point.

It's no different than a semi-pro/pro football player showing up in your backyard to show you how ineffective backyard training is in preparing you to play pro ball. The only problem is that you play for fun and don't have any intentions of joining the NFL. Thus the guy is an idiot.

If some professional ball player wanted to show up at my house and play ball with me. That's cool as fuck. I'd be happy to have em. The moment that same ball player starts making fun of me to random people because my non-existent training is inferior to his own, however, he becomes a douchebag... and that's exactly what happened here, regardless of how you want to try and sugarcoat it.

First off, he openly mocks people who grapple for fun in their back yards without any formal training. And don't get me wrong, he is certainly not the only one. There is, however, nothing wrong with people who enjoy backyard grappling any more than people who enjoy backyard football, baseball, etc. .

The difference is, most people who play football/basketball/baseball or whatever for fun, know there is a world of difference between themselves and guys who actually train seriously.

For whatever reason, that isnt the same with mma and grappling. Go to a bar where ufcs are being shown, and listen to how many dudes talk about how they think they could beat ufc fighters in a fight. Apparently, these guys were claiming to be able to beat guys who train seriously, just like many backyard grapplers believe. If most of them knew that they had no idea what they were doing, and were just having fun, you wouldnt have videos of them showing how to do moves.

And for the record, many pro basketball/football ect players do go out of their way to school regular guys that think they could do what they do. Its a tv show called pros vs joes.

This show? Pure Hilarity!

8530.png

Nothing wrong with the video. Nothing wrong with going to work out with some back-yard grapplers. The ATTITUDE is the problem.

First off, he openly mocks people who grapple for fun in their back yards without any formal training. And don't get me wrong, he is certainly not the only one. There is, however, nothing wrong with people who enjoy backyard grappling any more than people who enjoy backyard football, baseball, etc.

Things brings us back to a question concerning why you train BJJ? It's been established many times over that the majority of Sherdog posters do not train BJJ for self defense. This would suggest that they do it because it is a fun activity and/or for fitness. If that is the case, then what "bar" is Sean showing these guys? Are you suggesting it's more fun to train in a formal class than it is to grapple with friends in someones back yard? That's pretty fucking subjective. The only "bar" that Sean could have been showing these guys is one concerning the effectiveness of backyard grappling vs. formally trained grapplers. And since we've already established that a vast majority of forumites don't train BJJ for its "street effectiveness," it makes VERY little sense. Unless, of course, you're suggesting that the guys who posted the video were grappling in their backyard for self defense purposes rather than for fun... in which case you might have a point. You might also meet the DSM-IV criteria for having an intellectual disability, but you'd at least have a point.

It's no different than a semi-pro/pro football player showing up in your backyard to show you how ineffective backyard training is in preparing you to play pro ball. The only problem is that you play for fun and don't have any intentions of joining the NFL. Thus the guy is an idiot.

If some professional ball player wanted to show up at my house and play ball with me. That's cool as fuck. I'd be happy to have em. The moment that same ball player starts making fun of me to random people because my non-existent training is inferior to his own, however, he becomes a douchebag... and that's exactly what happened here, regardless of how you want to try and sugarcoat it.
222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

I like the Simpsons too.

:confused:

And dirtypablo, the difference between Pros vs. Joes is that those guys seek it out. We'd have a completely different situation if these backyard grapplers showed up at a grappling school trying to prove something.

There are countless people who talk trash about professionals in every sport. The only reason you take note of grapplers is because you happen to be a grappler... but don't think for a minute that the same thing doesn't happen in virtually every other sport, by the same drunken idiots who talk shit at sports bars.

The argument is pointless, regardless. No one is going to have their minds changed.

Proof that people will piss, and moan about anything.

From an outside look you don't look like you were trying to be an asshole. It's not like you where cranking shit. Seems friendly enough.

Also, sorry to say mma posers are a fucking plague these days. No not fans of MMA, the people with chips on their shoulders thinking they're fighters.

TS: You felt the need to contact these guys and show them a lesson?

What were you meant to prove by doing so? That you're better than noobs?

if a NFLer gets mad cause i say he sucks after watching a crappy preseason game and wants to come over to my house and wants me to put up or shut up and i invite the guy over and get smeared all over my back yard for six minutes eating my own words...... well then i think i had it coming.

i don't see anything wrong with what the OP did. if he hunted them down and flying omaplata'd them over the fruit counter at the local grocery store well then i might have a problem with it....

they guy agreed to it... the OP wasn't going hard obviously and was just flowing the whole time. hell the face plant knee bar almost hurt the guy more than the OP did..

Him going for a knee bar and falling on his face the best. He obvioulsy knew nothing about grappling, when you were in side control he was turning away from you and staying flat on his back.

tell that to saulo

Back