Aspinall won't make it out of the second round.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tom is a legit prospect but this is too much too soon for him. He has only faced one elite striker before, Volkov, and he did run through Volkov with a quick submission, to give him credit, but the threat Sergei poses on the feet is next level. Volkov is a gangly striker who likes to kick and punch from range and doesn't have much of a grappling game (although he has improved that side of things since they fought.) Sergei is 4" shorter while just as heavy, has 4" longer reach than Volkov and 6" longer than Tom, and just TKOed the best wrestler in the division in the first round (the same one Aspinall wrecked his knee on).

If that's what Pav did to Blaydes how do you think Aspinall is going to take him down? Don't even underestimate Sergei's grappling, he started training wrestling at 5 and has been working hard on it.

Tom is 2" taller and one year younger than Sergei. They are about the same weight. He is a talented athlete, fast despite his size and with dynamic striking but also with a very legit sub game. He has never had a fight get out of the second round as he has explosive striking with both accuracy and power, however he also has effective take downs and can finish quickly on the ground as well. I am in no way underestimating Aspinall's talent.

With that being said I don't think even Aspinall's biggest fan thinks he can win this fight standing. His gameplan is obviously going to be to survive on the feet long enough to get to the clinch or takedown. Easier said than done - 2018 Overeem finished Sergei with ground strikes but Aspinall isn't 2018 Overeem and Sergei has evolved since then.

Pav has exceptional MMA boxing - hand speed, accuracy, volume, pressure, power, timing, intelligent combinations, his management of distance plus his freakish reach - he scores highly in all categories and is almost impossible to prepare for. We haven't seen a lot of his grappling in the UFC because no one has been able to impose it on him and Aspinall will be no exception. Tom is no dunce on the feet and his size, speed and athleticism will buy him a little time but once Pav starts zeroing in and those accurate combos start landing Tom won't be able to handle it, he will crumble quickly. Sergei Pavlovich TKO in either the first or second round.

DQX2GC3UYJLXBG2PL3JCF4RWXA.jpg
Derp

I think so too, but the match up is bad for him especially on short notice.

His tendency to keep his chin up and hands down is a huge liablity against an accurate power puncher with a 6" reach advantage over him.
And I would think Aspinall will be hesitant to leg kick after his injury.
Double yellow bro

maxresdefault.jpg

Tom is a legit prospect but this is too much too soon for him. He has only faced one elite striker before, Volkov, and he did run through Volkov with a quick submission, to give him credit, but the threat Sergei poses on the feet is next level. Volkov is a gangly striker who likes to kick and punch from range and doesn't have much of a grappling game (although he has improved that side of things since they fought.) Sergei is 4" shorter while just as heavy, has 4" longer reach than Volkov and 6" longer than Tom, and just TKOed the best wrestler in the division in the first round (the same one Aspinall wrecked his knee on).

If that's what Pav did to Blaydes how do you think Aspinall is going to take him down? Don't even underestimate Sergei's grappling, he started training wrestling at 5 and has been working hard on it.

Tom is 2" taller and one year younger than Sergei. They are about the same weight. He is a talented athlete, fast despite his size and with dynamic striking but also with a very legit sub game. He has never had a fight get out of the second round as he has explosive striking with both accuracy and power, however he also has effective take downs and can finish quickly on the ground as well. I am in no way underestimating Aspinall's talent.

With that being said I don't think even Aspinall's biggest fan thinks he can win this fight standing. His gameplan is obviously going to be to survive on the feet long enough to get to the clinch or takedown. Easier said than done - 2018 Overeem finished Sergei with ground strikes but Aspinall isn't 2018 Overeem and Sergei has evolved since then.

Pav has exceptional MMA boxing - hand speed, accuracy, volume, pressure, power, timing, intelligent combinations, his management of distance plus his freakish reach - he scores highly in all categories and is almost impossible to prepare for. We haven't seen a lot of his grappling in the UFC because no one has been able to impose it on him and Aspinall will be no exception. Tom is no dunce on the feet and his size, speed and athleticism will buy him a little time but once Pav starts zeroing in and those accurate combos start landing Tom won't be able to handle it, he will crumble quickly. Sergei Pavlovich TKO in either the first or second round.

DQX2GC3UYJLXBG2PL3JCF4RWXA.jpg

You were right sir, Tom didn't make it out of the second round...He murdered Pav in the first lol.

If Tom decides to keep it standing he will lose. He can’t win a striking fight with pavlovich. Sooner or later sergei fast hands will find the mark and Toms head will feel the power. It’s basically like guys wanting to strike with Francis, but Sergei has faster hands than Francis. Just a dumb Decision if that is his gameplan.

Ouch

Some fair points and Pav very well might win. I also want to preface this that I like both and not really a fan of either the way people normally describe a fan (you cheer for a fighter regardless, etc...). I like betting MMA so try to stay relatively impartial, even if I do like some people more than others ofc.

BUT...

Of all your points, by far the worst if your Overeem write off. You're acting like 2018 Overeem is some mythical fighter. He's not. He closed out his career going 4-4 losing to anyone good and beating scrubs other than Pav. He just came off two losses to Blaydes & Ngannou before Pav. 2 fights after he beat Pav he lost to Jairzinho. If he can take down Pav, decent chance Tom can as well.
I realize it's been quite a few years since then, and very likely Pav has improved drastically. But your analysis of that situation was bad.

I also disagree that Aspinall can't win the fight stnading. While he certainly isn't a favorite standing, he definitely can win standing. He's super fast with good footwork and can throw a variety of strikes. He's definitely not going to be trying to stand and bang w/ Pav and said as much this week. But he can win striking and if you think he can't you're delusional here as well.
Well played sir

SERGEI WONT MAKE IT OUT OF THE SECOND ROUND!!!!!!
He didn't even make it out of the 1st. I just heard that Aspinall strained his back and couldn't train for the 2 weeks properly. Lol

Last edited:
You were correct. Since it never made it to the second round.

You were right... Kind of.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Back