Aspinall should change tactics with Jones.

Tom doesn't really want the fight. He's just pretending to want it so that people don't think he's scared. He probably knows that Jones would destroy him.

At this stage its more likely Aspinall destroys Jones.

A few things he can say without resorting to trash talk that would inevitabley make him look foolish since he is not very good at it:

He is the real champ because he will fight anyone and does not cherry pick his opponents.

He will fight up & coming fighters and worthy veterans. He will not fight inexperienced fighters or half retired fighters that have been setting on a shelf collecting dust or fighters from a lower weight class moving up - he only fights the best in the division, he fights real heavyweights.

He should state he is “the real UFC heavyweight champion” and carry the belt with him at all times during appearances. He should also dub himself the most avoided heavyweight in the division and the most dangerous fighter since others are avoiding even mentioning his name.

He already did that on the MMA hour ages ago though. Just not in those exact words.

Tom- "Jon and Stipe don't want it."

Ariel- "Why?"

Tom- "I'm too risky mate, too risky."

Sure, but he should bring it up plainly and matter-of-factly, every time someone starts talking about Jon to him. Like, " What can I say mate? He is ducking me. That's all there is to it."

Obviously, people will say it's shit talking or trash talking, but it's really not. Jon has numerous times expressed he doesn't want to fight the guy, who based on sports merit and sports customs, has earned the fight with the title holder. That's textbook "ducking" your duties as the champ. So Tom should just embrace it as talking truth instead of it being disrespect or anything like that, and it would definitely help his cause by creating more hype towards a possible Jon fight and also puts more pressure on Jon to accept the fight. However, I think Aspinall's immense respect for Jon is already a bit misplaced because the dude is just such a dirty fighter, but that's just my personal opinion.

Sure, but he should bring it up plainly and matter-of-factly, every time someone starts talking about Jon to him. Like, " What can I say mate? He is ducking me. That's all there is to it."

Obviously, people will say it's shit talking or trash talking, but it's really not. Jon has numerous times expressed he doesn't want to fight the guy, who based on sports merit and sports customs, has earned the fight with the title holder. That's textbook "ducking" your duties as the champ. So Tom should just embrace it as talking truth instead of it being disrespect or anything like that, and it would definitely help his cause by creating more hype towards a possible Jon fight and also puts more pressure on Jon to accept the fight. However, I think Aspinall's immense respect for Jon is already a bit misplaced because the dude is just such a dirty fighter, but that's just my personal opinion.
Yeah I agree with all of this.

The Jones fans who will say Aspinall is shit talking are already being disrespectful about him anyway. They say he's whining, and ducking Gane (lol).

And yeah, he clearly has a lot of respect for Jones, but every time he offers a hand Jon spits in his face, so it obviously isn't serving him well. May as well just go to town and call a spade a spade, or in this case a duck a duck.

It certainly does on paper more than it does Tom. Don't get me wrong, Tom is a really good fighter and his time will come but lets be realistic here. Tom has not accomplished anywhere near what Stipe and Alex have. Alex has beaten 5 former champions in their primes and has captured gold in 2 different weight classes. Stipe has beaten JDS, Roy Nelson, Reem, Fabricio Werdum, Mark Hunt, Francis, and DC twice. That's a significantly better resume than Tom has so far who's only good wins are Volkov, Pav and an even older Arvloski than Stipe fought. Yes, Tom vs Jon is the more significant fight to many of us hardcore fans but the reality is the risk is not worth the reward for Jon.

You guys need to wake up and realize that Tom hasn't really done much at all in this sport yet and Pav isn't as good of a win as everyone is making him out to be. Wow he KO'ed Derrick, wow he KO'ed Tuivasa, both those guys get washed by anyone with a brain and a decent skill set. His best win is Blaydes and even then, it wasn't so much that he was way better than him it was more that Blaydes fight IQ failed him. Pav is not that good and an overrated win IMO. Don't get me wrong the dude is a big strong HW that hits really hard and has decent boxing but he loses to pretty much anyone that is smart enough to not get pulled into a fire fight with him.

Resumes are for people who don’t actually watch the fights. I’m informed. I honestly couldn’t care less about what the casuals think - I care about validity.

For me, Jon has no claim to being the goat from what I’ve seen inside and outside the cage. His performances once they stopped his cheating have been sub par at best - lost against Reyes and struggled vs Santos and OSP since they forced him to close his hands. He’s a phoney. Very good fighter obviously, not the greatest of all time though, no where near.

Last edited:
Set the record for most heavyweight title defenses ... with the interim. While Jon waits on Stipe to turn 60. And become the GOAT UFC Heavyweight Champion... all while Jon is still the Heavyweight Champ...

One "disputed" Heavyweight Champion

One interim Heavyweight Champion.

Neither are named Stipe or Alex.

Enough already.

Resumes are for people who don’t actually watch the fights. I’m informed.
They are.

Resume wise Mark Coleman has done a lot more in the sport than Aspinall.

He's also 60 and can barely throw a punch without falling over.

But if you just compare their resumes you can make the argument that he deserves the next shot at Jones more than Aspinall does.

This is exactly the case with Stipe. Yeah he's not 60 and ue can still throw hands without putting his back out, but the fact remains that he hasn't won a fight in 4 years, and was KTFO in his last one 3 years ago. What he has done in the past shouldn't be relevant to today, but to the 'resume > relevancy' people that doesn't matter.

Give Randy Couture a title shot while we are at it.

Tom is approaching Jon Jones in all the wrong ways, IMO. While he plays the “Respect” card, Jon goes out of his way to diminish Tom as a fighter, a draw, and a Champion.
I’m typically against trash talk when used to drum up artificial interest, but I feel that Tom should ramp up the attacks on Jon as a shit person, a steroid cheat, and as a Champion that is ducking the Interim Champ of his division as well as Ngannou.
What do you guys think? If he starts to lay into Jon, would that create more interest from the public and thus, put some pressure on him to fight Tom? Would it make you guys more interested in the matchup?
Cause as it stands right now, John will be fighting Stipe, Alex, and probably Izzy for the undisputed title at HW while Tom fights all the real contenders and remains the Interim Champ.
I agree with this perspective. Not necessarily the trash talk aspect, but he should antagonize Jones. Jones seems to absolutely hate it when people are seen as openly subverting his dominance.

If he starts putting himself out there as being better than Jones, and perhaps even speak to him with contempt, there is a strong change that Jones' predatory instinct will take over and he will seek out Aspinall with bad intentions (the man's natural disposition).

They are.

But if you just compare their resumes you can make the argument that he deserves the next shot at Jones more than Aspinall does.

This is exactly the case with Stipe. Yeah he's not 60 and ue can still throw hands without putting his back out, but the fact remains that he hasn't won a fight in 4 years, and was KTFO in his last one 3 years ago. What he has done in the past shouldn't be relevant to today, but to the 'resume > relevancy' people that doesn't matter.

It’s like, if Jon wants to go down that angle of gas lighting the casual fans (like he does his wife) into believing that he’s the best ever then sure, go for it, just don’t around the fans who actually know trying to assert that bullshit. Walking around bleeting like a goat… it’s embarrassing man. Fight the real fights.

wow, what a beautiful story.

Would be a shame if someone discredited it by merely saying Stipe is 41 and hasn’t fought in over 3 years.

“Legacy”.
I guess this means that Francis beating 40 yr old frail looking Stipe and Stipe beating 40 year old DC twice doesn't mean shit either then for their legacy. Cause as soon as you touch 40 whatever you have done in this sport no longer counts for shit according to your logic.

Resumes are for people who don’t actually watch the fights. I’m informed. I honestly couldn’t care less about what the casuals think - I care about validity

They are.

So resume's just conveniently don't matter now? lol.. I agree that they aren't everything but let's not act as if they mean nothing at all now just because it doesn't benefit your argument in doing so. "What he has done in the past shouldn't be relevant to today". If we're going to go down that path then I guess that means you're only as good as your last fight and if you're only as good as your last fight then why have HoF's? why have GOATS? why bother with any of that shit?

I guess this means that Francis beating 40 yr old frail looking Stipe and Stipe beating 40 year old DC twice doesn't mean shit either then for their legacy. Cause as soon as you touch 40 whatever you have done in this sport no longer counts for shit according to your logic.

So resume's just conveniently don't matter now? lol.. I agree that they aren't everything but let's not act as if they mean nothing at all now just because it doesn't benefit your argument in doing so. "What he has done in the past shouldn't be relevant to today". If we're going to go down that path then I guess that means you're only as good as your last fight and if you're only as good as your last fight then why have HoF's? why have GOATS? why bother with any of that shit?

Beating 44 yrs old Stipe and then having a Stipe win on your resume is bogus. It implies that you didn’t beat a fossilised version of that fighter. Sure the casuals might think it’s impressive, but for those that actually know it’s not a big deal. Waiting ten years to move up then doing so once Francis left is more indicative of the guys mindset, and then once he moved up he ducked all the best HW’s at the time. He must be pretty pissed that Aspinall exists to give us all an argument against his GOAT claims, what better way to prove us wrong than fighting Tom Aspinall the current interim champ, but wait, Pereira is a better fight! Former middleweight Alex Pereira is a better fight. For errr Jon’s Legacy!

You can't talk your way into a fight with Jones by saying he's a bad person. Everyone has tried that. The media has covered it. It's a dry well.

What Tom should do is prey on Jon's ego and public image as a fighter and competitor.

Tom should take a fight with anyone else, and spend all his media time saying "I don't want to talk about Jon. He's not gonna take a hard ass fight like me. He'd be an idiot to pick getting beat up by a bigger stronger younger guy if they're going to pay him to fight a senior citizen like Stipe. Obviously I'm a horrible match up for him with my superior power and grappling, we all know that. Jon's not a coward, he's just playing it safe trying to avoid me, so please stop asking me about Jon."

And he should answer every question that way for an entire camp and press tour. If a reporter says "Hi Tom" he should answer "Look Jon is getting older and his body is worn out, you can't ask him to fight a stud like me. It's wrong"

"You're only as good as your last fight" is a lot better metric to use than "he defended the title 3 times 15 years ago"

Nobody has said resume doesn't matter at all, but it certainly isn't as important as relevancy and what you are doing in the sport currently.

Tom Aspinall has beaten 4 of the CURRENT top 10 heavyweights in 8 minutes combined. He is the CURRENT interim HW champion.

Stipe has a lot of good wins, yet he has only beaten a single fighter that is still active in the UFC and it's 45 year old Arlovski. That win came all the way back in 2016. Yes he beat Cormier, but DC has been retired for 4 whole years. He beat Francis 5 years ago, JDS 7 years ago, Reem 8 years ago. Great wins sure, but they don't earn you a world title fight today. We are coming up on half a decade since Stipe did anything besides getting KTFO in the sport.

Again, if past accomplishments grant you title fight opportunities now then let's dust off Dan Severn.

Last edited:
He should call Jones names and make fun of his cocaine addiction, running through pregnant women, hitting his wife, picograms, erectile dysfunction, etc.

He better win the fight after all of that.

Back