Aspinall should change tactics with Jones.

Tom is approaching Jon Jones in all the wrong ways, IMO. While he plays the “Respect” card, Jon goes out of his way to diminish Tom as a fighter, a draw, and a Champion.
I’m typically against trash talk when used to drum up artificial interest, but I feel that Tom should ramp up the attacks on Jon as a shit person, a steroid cheat, and as a Champion that is ducking the Interim Champ of his division as well as Ngannou.
What do you guys think? If he starts to lay into Jon, would that create more interest from the public and thus, put some pressure on him to fight Tom? Would it make you guys more interested in the matchup?
Cause as it stands right now, John will be fighting Stipe, Alex, and probably Izzy for the undisputed title at HW while Tom fights all the real contenders and remains the Interim Champ.
To be honest, after reading your post... I think you should be in charge... you obviously have such a keen insight that you should manage fighters. If you keep working at it you could likely be the next Dana White but so much better.

Jones will take Stipe first, guy can hardly walk to the cage, easy win and looks good on paper.

Then he retires or fights Alex. Alex is a stud and tough fight, but Jones will grapple him and win. Great fight and great legacy. Then retire.

There is no Tom. He is high risk and doesn't look good on paper. He will duck him like he did Big Frank.

since he's not a shit talker he should just ignore Jones and pretend like he has never existed in the world. totally ignoring narcissists tend to work better if you want to piss them off. giving them attention is exactly what these people want. give them nothing and then they start to wonder "why isn't he talking about me?"

Jon is only interested in legacy fights now. Alex and Stipe are more decorated than Aspinall so he wants those fights. The only thing Tom can really do to get Jon's attention is to continue to clean the division and make it worth Jon's while to take the risk and want to fight him. I know it's fucked but that's just the reality of it.

Jon is only interested in legacy fights now. Alex and Stipe are more decorated than Aspinall so he wants those fights. The only thing Tom can really do to get Jon's attention is to continue to clean the division and make it worth Jon's while to take the risk and want to fight him. I know it's fucked but that's just the reality of it.

It does nothing for his legacy to beat those guys at this stage… wake up. He’s being a coward

All Tom's gotta do is send a dick pic and offer up the cheeks if he loses. An offer Bones couldn't resist

Been saying this from the start. He should be cutting promos like a prime Ric Flair but that's just not him.

Tom says he really isn't into trash talk and doesn't want to do it. It's not who he is and doesn't want to change himself. I think he should be himself. Can't force it.

He can express himself without lowering himself, I feel.
Exactly this.

Tom says he really isn't into trash talk and doesn't want to do it. It's not who he is and doesn't want to change himself. I think he should be himself. Can't force it.

He can express himself without lowering himself, I feel.

I think he could definitely just be honest about the matter. Just say you think you are being ducked. I wouldn't even see it as shit talk, just real talk!

It does nothing for his legacy to beat those guys at this stage… wake up. He’s being a coward
It certainly does on paper more than it does Tom. Don't get me wrong, Tom is a really good fighter and his time will come but lets be realistic here. Tom has not accomplished anywhere near what Stipe and Alex have. Alex has beaten 5 former champions in their primes and has captured gold in 2 different weight classes. Stipe has beaten JDS, Roy Nelson, Reem, Fabricio Werdum, Mark Hunt, Francis, and DC twice. That's a significantly better resume than Tom has so far who's only good wins are Volkov, Pav and an even older Arvloski than Stipe fought. Yes, Tom vs Jon is the more significant fight to many of us hardcore fans but the reality is the risk is not worth the reward for Jon.

You guys need to wake up and realize that Tom hasn't really done much at all in this sport yet and Pav isn't as good of a win as everyone is making him out to be. Wow he KO'ed Derrick, wow he KO'ed Tuivasa, both those guys get washed by anyone with a brain and a decent skill set. His best win is Blaydes and even then, it wasn't so much that he was way better than him it was more that Blaydes fight IQ failed him. Pav is not that good and an overrated win IMO. Don't get me wrong the dude is a big strong HW that hits really hard and has decent boxing but he loses to pretty much anyone that is smart enough to not get pulled into a fire fight with him.

it's too bad because this is the one the fans want to see. only way to make it happen would be to put pressure on the UFC somehow.

I love how people keep acting like this is boxing and that Jones has the final say.

It's Dana who's treating Aspinall like shit, and there's really nothing that Aspinall can do besides keep his mouth shut unless he wants to piss Dana off and end up in Ngannou territory.

Tom is approaching Jon Jones in all the wrong ways, IMO. While he plays the “Respect” card, Jon goes out of his way to diminish Tom as a fighter, a draw, and a Champion.
I’m typically against trash talk when used to drum up artificial interest, but I feel that Tom should ramp up the attacks on Jon as a shit person, a steroid cheat, and as a Champion that is ducking the Interim Champ of his division as well as Ngannou.
What do you guys think? If he starts to lay into Jon, would that create more interest from the public and thus, put some pressure on him to fight Tom? Would it make you guys more interested in the matchup?
Cause as it stands right now, John will be fighting Stipe, Alex, and probably Izzy for the undisputed title at HW while Tom fights all the real contenders and remains the Interim Champ.
He was trash talking Jones for a bit but then suddenly stopped, I think pretty clear he was told to stop by the UFC.

It certainly does on paper more than it does Tom. Don't get me wrong, Tom is a really good fighter and his time will come but lets be realistic here. Tom has not accomplished anywhere near what Stipe and Alex have. Alex has beaten 5 former champions in their primes and has captured gold in 2 different weight classes. Stipe has beaten JDS, Roy Nelson, Reem, Fabricio Werdum, Mark Hunt, Francis, and DC twice. That's a significantly better resume than Tom has so far who's only good wins are Volkov, Pav and an even older Arvloski than Stipe fought. Yes, Tom vs Jon is the more significant fight to many of us hardcore fans but the reality is the risk is not worth the reward for Jon.

You guys need to wake up and realize that Tom hasn't really done much at all in this sport yet and Pav isn't as good of a win as everyone is making him out to be. Wow he KO'ed Derrick, wow he KO'ed Tuivasa, both those guys get washed by anyone with a brain and a decent skill set. His best win is Blaydes and even then, it wasn't so much that he was way better than him it was more that Blaydes fight IQ failed him. Pav is not that good and an overrated win IMO. Don't get me wrong the dude is a big strong HW that hits really hard and has decent boxing but he loses to pretty much anyone that is smart enough to not get pulled into a fire fight with him.
wow, what a beautiful story.

Would be a shame if someone discredited it by merely saying Stipe is 41 and hasn’t fought in over 3 years.

“Legacy”.

There's not much he can do if the UFC wants to protect Jones and keep him as champion. It kind of reminds me of Renan Barao in 2012-13, he had to defend the interim title 2x.

The best thing Tom can do is keep fighting and defending his belt.

The UFC knows that’ Stipe is a bigger fight than anything involving Aspinall, and this is why Dana has doubled down on the fight regardless of Aspinalls interim title. If Aspinall wants to get a fight with jones then he should aim his ire at the UFC rather than Jones. Petty name calling only works on sherdog and Jones does not need Aspinall and has other options. Apinall needs to push his legitamacy and show that he is worth the push for the UFC. If Dana and the UFC can see it than Dana would pressure Jon or any fighter to fight or be at the ire of the UFC. The UFC is still the money game and that is what rules the front office.

The problem is that Aspinall does not have the accolades so as someone mentioned, he should be fighting as many contenders to make the claim. But Tom wants to cry and bitch about Stipe and Jon rather than having solidified his title wins and securing Dana's respect and gaining more acclaim. Aspinall should have already fought a ranked contender for that interim title. He has been sitting on the sidelines crying about jones and Stipe. It is the reason Sergei was the stand in for Stipe if Stipe had pulled out. Pavlovich had six straight wins and was the person selected to serve as the backup to UFC 295 rather than Aspinall. Aspinall took advantage of a short-notice opportunity and winning the interim title with a knockout of Pavlovich, but he’s certainly not the first fighter to get a belt simply because the UFC had a spot to fill on a pay-per-view. That is his problem, he was a spot to fill on a pay per view as a sports writer claimed. Sometimes it is just about actually fighting and legitimizing your position.

Last edited:
I think he could definitely just be honest about the matter. Just say you think you are being ducked. I wouldn't even see it as shit talk, just real talk!
He already did that on the MMA hour ages ago though. Just not in those exact words.

Tom- "Jon and Stipe don't want it."

Ariel- "Why?"

Tom- "I'm too risky mate, too risky."

Aspinall is in Chandler's position

Better forget Jones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back