Alex Pereira against the LHW Greats

Bader is a very inconsistent fighter but at his best, he too would have a legitimate chance of taking Alex down with ease and not letting him up.

Rumble struck fear into Bader because Bader knew that AJ had the wrestling skill and power to stuff his takedowns.

I think Bader would send Poatan for a ride most times than not.
Yeah, it's just that Bader choked and got KO'd by most of the dangerous strikers he faced: Machida, Glover, Rumble, Nemkov and a few others in Bellator. Even Tito managed to knock him down and then submit him. He did beat an aging Rampage and a few other dangerous strikers, so it's possible.

It would be easier to predict if Poatan would face a good wrestler. Jan is the best one he's faced so far.

Randy would walk through his offense and body lock him to the mat and not let him up. Randy held down prime Tito. Anyone who thinks Randy couldn't hold down Poatan is most likely a recency bias fanboy.
Yeah, and Randy had a history of beating dangerous strikers: BelfortX2, Mo Smith, Pedro Rizzo, Chuck in their first fight, even an awkward but effectvive 6'8" , 260 pound Tim Sylvia. It took a very good wrestle-boxer (prime Chuck or Rumble) with strong TDD and ability to get back to their feet to beat him.

I think (prime) Shogun would have a great chance against Alex. His striking was fantastic. But Shogun actually used to use his ground game a lot.

He actually has a super high Take Down Percentage. And some of the most underrated ground striking.

Not many people put people completely out like he did.

Alex would sleep Gustafson easy.
Gus is primarily a boxer, and Alex boxing is just overwhelming, his rolls, faints and counter are just too much.

Rumble would be the easier figth here, probably would be something similar to Cookie osaru vs Rico Verhoven.
Alex will manage distance and tag him all nigth.

DC would maul him in the ground, probably the toughest match up for him.

I think that's a easy win for Jones too, dont think Alex can do something here

In a parallel Universe Alex joined the UFC 2016 and now in 2017 has to face the best LHW's the planet after conquering MW. The plus side is this is a younger Poatan that has more time to adapt at a younger age. Downside is he has to face the best LHW's in the history of MMA.

4) Alexander Gustafson

View attachment 1049265

Fresh off the beating of Alex mentor, Alex vows to get revenge and this will be his first test. Prime Gus had amazing boxing and would be super light on his feet. During that era Gus had really bad grappling, but by todays standards he'd be up there with Jiri & hill. But with better striking imo. That being said I really do see Alex catching Gus early on, but Gus could also just lap Alex and then later KO him.

3) Anthony Rumble Johnson​

View attachment 1049267

If he beats Gus, he now has to face the most explosive and dangerous striker in UFC LHW History. If Izzy can make you do the stanky leg, and Jiri and Jan can have you backing up to avoid being rocked even more, Rumble will send you flying across the octagon. But Alex could also counter Rumble quick. 50/50 imo, on one hand Rumble could brutally KO Alex, on the other Alex could drop him and finish him TKO

2) Daniel Cormier​

99fc4adaa52f60873e180cccbc03893a

One of the best wrestlers OAT, he can strike, wrestle, and clinch. Alex has never faced anyone that even comes to 1/10th of what DC can do on the mat. DC can take Alex down, gas him out, body slam him, then later submit or even KO an exhausted Poaton. But Alex can also use his calf kicks and left hook to catch a DC that was susceptible to the body

1) Jon Bones Jones​

View attachment 1049270

There isn't a single thing he can't do, considered the GOAT by many. Could beat Alex in almost every area, even striking imo. Too smart to stay in the pocket with Alex, and his distance managment was elite for an MMA fighter. Would rarely ever get hit clean, and when he did showed to have one of the best chins in the game. Never has been dropped even. That being said, Alex could land clean, with over 33 kickboxing fight he is the better pure striker than Jones.

View attachment 1049281
Good thread, I would give Alex

75% chance vs Gus
75% chance vs Rumble
33% chance vs DC
50% chance vs Bones

Yeah, it's just that Bader choked and got KO'd by most of the dangerous strikers he faced: Machida, Glover, Rumble, Nemkov and a few others in Bellator. Even Tito managed to knock him down and then submit him. He did beat an aging Rampage and a few other dangerous strikers, so it's possible.

It would be easier to predict if Poatan would face a good wrestler. Jan is the best one he's faced so far.

I think the x factor in all of those fights which Bader lost was that his opponent was a strong wrestler.

I think (prime) Shogun would have a great chance against Alex. His striking was fantastic. But Shogun actually used to use his ground game a lot.

He actually has a super high Take Down Percentage. And some of the most underrated ground striking.

Not many people put people completely out like he did.

Prime Shogun would sling Alex to the mat and soccer kick him in the head until the ref stops it.

Good thread, I would give Alex

75% chance vs Gus
75% chance vs Rumble
33% chance vs DC
50% chance vs Bones

Lol Poatan arguably lost to 41 year old journey man Jan but has a 75% chance of beating peak Gus and 50% chance of beating peak Jones?

You smoking a serious recency bias fanboy hopium pack my ninja

🤡

Reactions: mkt
Cro cop fought Wand twice and didn't kill him the first time and Mark Hunt was a K1GP champion with wins over some of the best HW kickboxers ever. Poatan got mopped up by little K-1 Max guys like Kyshenko and got completely out classed by MW Artem Levin in Glory. You're talking out of school. Educate yourself my son and then come back.

Yeah, there are levels to this. It isn’t like hunt ever got knocked out by a middleweight or anything. Could you imagine?

In a parallel Universe Alex joined the UFC 2016 and now in 2017 has to face the best LHW's the planet after conquering MW. The plus side is this is a younger Poatan that has more time to adapt at a younger age. Downside is he has to face the best LHW's in the history of MMA.

4) Alexander Gustafson

View attachment 1049265

Fresh off the beating of Alex mentor, Alex vows to get revenge and this will be his first test. Prime Gus had amazing boxing and would be super light on his feet. During that era Gus had really bad grappling, but by todays standards he'd be up there with Jiri & hill. But with better striking imo. That being said I really do see Alex catching Gus early on, but Gus could also just lap Alex and then later KO him.

3) Anthony Rumble Johnson​

View attachment 1049267

If he beats Gus, he now has to face the most explosive and dangerous striker in UFC LHW History. If Izzy can make you do the stanky leg, and Jiri and Jan can have you backing up to avoid being rocked even more, Rumble will send you flying across the octagon. But Alex could also counter Rumble quick. 50/50 imo, on one hand Rumble could brutally KO Alex, on the other Alex could drop him and finish him TKO

2) Daniel Cormier​

99fc4adaa52f60873e180cccbc03893a

One of the best wrestlers OAT, he can strike, wrestle, and clinch. Alex has never faced anyone that even comes to 1/10th of what DC can do on the mat. DC can take Alex down, gas him out, body slam him, then later submit or even KO an exhausted Poaton. But Alex can also use his calf kicks and left hook to catch a DC that was susceptible to the body

1) Jon Bones Jones​

View attachment 1049270

There isn't a single thing he can't do, considered the GOAT by many. Could beat Alex in almost every area, even striking imo. Too smart to stay in the pocket with Alex, and his distance managment was elite for an MMA fighter. Would rarely ever get hit clean, and when he did showed to have one of the best chins in the game. Never has been dropped even. That being said, Alex could land clean, with over 33 kickboxing fight he is the better pure striker than Jones.

View attachment 1049281
Him joining in 2012 would be more interesting tbh

Yeah, there are levels to this. It isn’t like hunt ever got knocked out by a middleweight or anything. Could you imagine?

You mean when Hunt got knocked out by a 200lb Manhoef? The guy who also melted Ruslan Karaev?- the same Ruslan Karaev who beat Badr Hari? And that's a knock on Hunt? 🤡

Yes,there are levels to this shit and guys like Hunt and Mirko were higher level kickboxers than Poatan because they both beat higher level kickboxers than Poatan.

Anyone saying otherwise is a recency bias Poatan fanboy with limited knowledge about the kickboxing scene.

Lol Poatan arguably lost to 41 year old journey man Jan but has a 75% chance of beating peak Gus and 50% chance of beating peak Jones?

You smoking a serious recency bias fanboy hopium pack my ninja

🤡
Jan was a UFC champion, which is more than I can say for Gus. What's his claim to fame again? Oh yeah, that guy that once upon a time almost beat DC and Jon Jones, but didn't... sounds like one of those bar stool stories Izzy was talking about.

And yeah I see Poatan vs Jones as 50/50 because every time I've seen Jones struggle in a fight, it's been vs guys who are similar to him in size, and are capable strikers, yes including Gus. Pereira is massive so Jones will have no size advantage and he's a better striker than Gus, Reyes or anyone Jones has fought, there's no debate about that, so considering the fact that Jones has no knockout power he's almost guaranteed to lose the standup battle there. Of course he might get a takedown and possibly finish the fight on the ground, or maybe get enough takedowns to win the rounds, and so on. So yeah, if it stays standing he's getting lit up, and if they grapple a lot Jones can win, 50/50.

lol Rumble would literally kill him.. no way Pereira takes that kill shot, Rumble also had insane defense and chin standing as well.

You mean when Hunt got knocked out by a 200lb Manhoef? The guy who also melted Ruslan Karaev?- the same Ruslan Karaev who beat Badr Hari? And that's a knock on Hunt? 🤡

Yes,there are levels to this shit and guys like Hunt and Mirko were higher level kickboxers than Poatan because they both beat higher level kickboxers than Poatan.

Anyone saying otherwise is a recency bias Poatan fanboy with limited knowledge about the kickboxing scene.

Yes, that hunt. It also wasn’t his only loss to a middleweight.

Jan was a UFC champion, which is more than I can say for Gus. What's his claim to fame again? Oh yeah, that guy that once upon a time almost beat DC and Jon Jones, but didn't... sounds like one of those bar stool stories Izzy was talking about.

And yeah I see Poatan vs Jones as 50/50 because every time I've seen Jones struggle in a fight, it's been vs guys who are similar to him in size, and are capable strikers, yes including Gus. Pereira is massive so Jones will have no size advantage and he's a better striker than Gus, Reyes or anyone Jones has fought, there's no debate about that, so considering the fact that Jones has no knockout power he's almost guaranteed to lose the standup battle there. Of course he might get a takedown and possibly finish the fight on the ground, or maybe get enough takedowns to win the rounds, and so on. So yeah, if it stays standing he's getting lit up, and if they grapple a lot Jones can win, 50/50.

Crazy talk

You think Jan winning a title means more than sending prime juiced up Jon Jones to the hospital or knocking Glover into the next century 8 years before he became a champion? Gus also took both DC and Jones down. You think he wouldn't put hands on Alex lol? Delusional.

Jan was on the prelims in those days and had nothing for Gus or any of those guys in those days. You think it's a coincidence that Jan won the title after all those guys disappeared?

Man you're an older account. You gotta do better than this my son.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt
Yes, that hunt. It also wasn’t his only loss to a middleweight.
Hunts losses don't mean much. There were a lot of factors in those fights that wouldn't be relevant in a Hunt vs Poatan fight. Prime Hunt vs Prime Poatan would be both men standing and exchanging blows until one of them falls and you'd be a fool to think Hunt isn't winning that.

Hunt was in a weird phase then where he seemed to only be fighting for a paycheck. He also got subbed by Sean freakin' McCorkle in like 90s seconds during that losing streak. He bullrushed Manhoef like he had no respect for his power and paid for it.

Let's be fair here. There were several fighters in the Jones-Cormier era who could've been champs at most any other time. Rumble, Gus, prime Glover (an older version of him later won the belt), maybe Bader and Davis. Don't forget that Gus beat Jan and Glover, two future LHW champs.

Hunt was in a weird phase then where he seemed to only be fighting for a paycheck. He also got subbed by Sean freakin' McCorkle in like 90s seconds during that losing streak. He bullrushed Manhoef like he had no respect for his power and paid for it.
Hunt was going through a hard time and was showing up for paychecks. He started taking his training seriously again when he found religion and a new love for fighting. Melted Mir, Nelson and beat the shit out of Derrick Lewis and threw down with prime juiced up JDS toe to toe in his 40s. Hunt is an all time great.

Back