• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media 38yo brunson schooled DDP in the first round

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
DDP got taken down, his back taken, almost in a rnc, and Brunson also had the luxury to jump for the guilly. If a 38 washed Brunson can play with him on the ground like that, even though he's a good wrestler, a healthy Khamzat would absolutely murder him. Not only Khamzat but any MW who has good wrestling and willing to exploit this weakness to get the fight to the ground

Who the fuck cares for real. Going through someone's career to find poor perfomances from old fights is the dumbest shit ever. Oh also he WON that fight.
No it's not the dumbest shit ever. In fact every coach does that. It's called find weakness in someone's game. I believe if a 38yo brunson could dominate him like that, there should be opportunities for other fighters with good wrestling

what a slopfest.
derick with some terrible IQ, he took him down and a minute later he was up, and then for some mysterious reason he pulled guard on a shitty choke.
it looked like some regional shit

Reactions: HHJ
No it's not the dumbest shit ever. In fact every coach does that. It's called find weakness in someone's game. I believe if a 38yo brunson could dominate him like that, there should be opportunities for other fighters with good wrestling
Sure if you're just making the blanket assumption that fighters don't improve. That's why it's dumb. It's not like fighters are gonna jump in a time machine and fight a less evolved version of a fighter. It's EXTRA dumb when you consider:

1: He won the fight you're criticizing him for

2: He's known to be a fighter that looks like crap early then overwhelms guys later

3: He went on to beat Whitaker and then the champion after this fight

As someone else has said, that is kind of the story of dricus's ufc career and a large part of why everyone doubted him the entire time.

Also, dricus held his own that round. Got a slick pendulum reversal from empty half, got his own takedown, had a submission attempt to counter one of Brunson's, landed some of his own shots. Him holding his own and making so many scrambles is part of why brunson gassed so hard that his team threw In the towel.

He lost the round, but I saw nothing to suggest a wrestler would run through him. Round 1 brunson, even old, was a great wrestler.

Last edited:
Dricus better home Chael Sonnen never comes out of retirement with that terrible wrestling defence of his

Worked out good for him career wise in the long run schooling him in the first round..... oh wait....
<{blankeye}>

Lol, such a poor take.

First of all, it doesn’t matter how old Brunson was at the time , because he was actually performing better than most of his career. He was 5-1 in his last 6 fights, when facing DDP with the only loss being to Cannonier.

Secondly, Brunson is one of greatest all time wrestlers at MW. He even outwrestled Romero when they fought.

And lastly, it doesn’t matter, because DDP still won.

It’s crazy how underrated DDP is around here. Yes, he doesn’t fight pretty, but he’s very well rounded, huge and extremely strong and is actually very strategic in his fights.

It's funny that you talk about this fight because it's one of the only ones I remember recently where the corner decides to give up just because Du Plessis is too brutal with their guy

SCHOOLED HIM

LOWER AND HIGHER EDUCATION

PUT HIM THROUGH THE CURRICULUM

Yeah, he started slow...and then battered the dude so bad that Brunson's corner threw in the towel with one second left in the round.

I get it...yeah, he's not the strongest wrestler, but he hasn't been subbed in almost 10 years, and he's lost twice in 23 fights...if it was that easy, it would've happened many times before.

You assume that DDP is the same as he was then. Fighters can improve. If it was so easy it would have happened by now.

what a slopfest.
derick with some terrible IQ, he took him down and a minute later he was up, and then for some mysterious reason he pulled guard on a shitty choke.
it looked like some regional shit
According to TS thats the key to beating Dricus Africanus.

Back