Since when was Rumble over-hyped or marketed? He's an extremely dangerous fighter that has happened to hit his stride.

People who've been around for awhile remember several different times in the past when Rumble was hyped as this new breed of fighter who was going to clean out his division or even a couple of them.

The first time Johnson was anointed the next champ after kicking Tommy Speers in the head and then he didnt look so great against Clementi.

He had a good run and stepped up in comp and got owned by Kos in the 2nd round.

Rumble made a comeback and again the hype that he was going to be the MW champ was out of control and he got worked over by Vitor.

And now, here we are again, with new fans excited because he's gotten a couple of victories and ignoring that Rumble folds when the chips are down and the other fighter is not caving in.

He'll look bad against Gus and Im betting he breaks in the ring again.

Gus has two rear-naked chokes wins in UFC and Rumble has tapped three times to that sub. Gus also outwrestled Jones. I would say:

wrestling: Gus

stand up: Gus

BJJ: Gus

Cardio: Gus

KO-power: Rumble

Chin: Even.

Rumble is an actual wrestler. Who completely shut down the wrestling of the guy who stopped Gus in the 1st round. Gus' TD percentage is 40, Rumble's is 58. The fact that you gave Gus the edge in wrestling is laughable and completely invalidates your opinion.

People who've been around for awhile remember several different times in the past when Rumble was hyped as this new breed of fighter who was going to clean out his division or even a couple of them.

The first time Johnson was anointed the next champ after kicking Tommy Speers in the head and then he didnt look so great against Clementi.

Rumble made a comeback and again the hype that he was going to be the MW champ was out of control and he got worked over by Vitor.

And now, here we are again, with new fans excited because he's gotten a couple of victories and ignoring that Rumble folds when the chips are down and the other fighter is not caving in.

I agree [I've seen this happen for years with Rumble]. Every time his hype train gets derailed it's never that the opponent was superior, it's always down to weight cutting issues, gassing etc.

His hype train is about to get derailed again and I'm not sure what the excuse will be.

aj is gonna knock 2 dimensions out of gus

Then AJ will regain consciousness and ask Herb Dean what happened and if it was just a dream.

Rumble is an actual wrestler. Who completely shut down the wrestling of the guy who stopped Gus in the 1st round. Gus' TD percentage is 40, Rumble's is 58. The fact that you gave Gus the edge in wrestling is laughable and completely invalidates your opinion.

So by default Gus has a weakness against "actual" wrestlers? and Jones' wrestling is not "actual" because try as he might, he couldn't even take Gus down? I think the more likely scenario is after Gus's loss to Davis, he trained hard for wrestlers and has improved tremendously since his loss to Davis. I don't see AJ's wrestling even being a factor in this fight other than to have him gas quickly and then get picked apart.

Last edited:

You could be right about his mentality, but he was literally killing himself cutting so much weight. He has not lost a fight since moving to his proper weight class (if you think a guy that is average/big for LHW cutting down to 170 wasn't killing his performances, then we're in disagreement), and with victories over Arlovski, Phil Davis, and Lil Nog, understanding why people are excited about him shouldn't be a mystery.

The 'new' fans? He's beaten everyone he's fought since going up including the former UFC heavyweight champ. There's a reason people are talking other than 'lolnewbs'.

I don't think he's going to beat Gus, but give me a break with your oversight and elitist bullshit.

Rumble is on on 8 fight win streak. Including two top 5 wins which is two more than Gus has. Hes also is the only person to beat Arlovski (a heavyweight) in his last 10 fights. He may very well lose to Gus but that wont mean he was just hype. Just like losing to Jones doesn't mean Cormier was all hype. It will simply mean he got beat by a better fighter.

You could be right about his mentality, but he was literally killing himself cutting so much weight. He has not lost a fight since moving to his proper weight class (if you think a guy that is average/big for LHW cutting down to 170 wasn't killing his performances, then we're in disagreement), and with victories over Arlovski, Phil Davis, and Lil Nog, understanding why people are excited about him shouldn't be a mystery.

The 'new' fans? He's beaten everyone he's fought since going up including the former UFC heavyweight champ. There's a reason people are talking other than 'lolnewbs'.

I don't think he's going to beat Gus, but give me a break with your oversight and elitist bullshit.

The reason is because new fans like you never saw him get tooled by Vitor Belfort when people on here were claiming Rumble was going to win championships in both mw and lhw. Go watch it. Im sure it's on youtube. And his wins are about as impressive as his previous wins before he got handled by both Kos and Vitor. Newb.

Rumble is on on 8 fight win streak. Including two top 5 wins which is two more than Gus has. Hes also is the only person to beat Arlovski (a heavyweight) in his last 10 fights. He may very well lose to Gus but that wont mean he was just hype. Just like losing to Jones doesn't mean Cormier was all hype. It will simply mean he got beat by a better fighter.

Rumble does have a longer streak than Gus but then again AG last loss was to Jon Jones so that has to mean more than a loss to Vitor.

And I wouldn't call Cormier hype because he lost to the fighter who I believe is the best in MMA right now and Cormier was undefeated until the Jones fight.

Now, if Johnson does manage to beat Gus--which I dont think he will-- then I think he may have turned a corner when it comes to the big fights

Rumble KO's half retired lil Nog and people think he is a destroyer, Gus' footwork and movement will be way too much, Rumble has bad cardio also, Vitor whooped his ass.

The reason is because new fans like you never saw him get tooled by Vitor Belfort when people on here were claiming Rumble was going to win championships in both mw and lhw. Go watch it. Im sure it's on youtube. And his wins are about as impressive as his previous wins before he got handled by both Kos and Vitor. Newb.

I've been watching MMA since around '05 (had actually seen a few fights earlier, but didn't follow the sport at that point), and I've been lurking here since '06-'07, posting since '08. So nah bro. But you're just trolling me because you think it'll get to me.

I don't recall what people were saying about Rumble on here then, as I was on-and-off with my Sherdogging, but I don't remember this MW/LHW title talk.

And I watched that fight live, though I haven't seen it since, but seeing as how he fucked himself up hard trying to make weight, I'm going to take a total shot in the dark and say he wasn't 100% for that fight.

As for the Kos and Vitor part, this makes me 60/40 to 70/30 that you're trolling, because you couldn't be that stupid, and I guarantee if he fought them again at an openweight you would not dare put money on them. Vitor you could maybe argue, as he'd have a legit shot, but not-killing-himself-to-make-weight-Rumble would decimate everyone else he lost to before, and you know it.

You also used the word I used to mock me, so that also points me in the direction of trolling.

It should be noted that he didn't take his career as seriously as he does now. He's admitted to this on several occasions along with the fact that he was immature back then.

At WW, he was fighting out his weight class. It's not rare for a fighter to accumulate multiple losses at his wrong weight class, such as Robbie Lawler at MW.

He came in over-weight against Belfort and performed terribly with a gameplan that was out of the norm for him.

All legitimate losses, but they shouldn't be held against him at this point in his career.

He may lose to Gustafsson, but that doesn't mean he's a derailed hypetrain. He's a very tough fight for anyone at LHW, and his past mishaps haven't occurred in years.

Honestly, who is to say that Gustafsson isn't a lot of hype? He didn't look good against Thiago Silva or Shogun, and his last win is over a guy that shouldn't even be in the top 10. The most impressive moment of his career is a loss against Jones.

Rumble KO's half retired lil Nog and people think he is a destroyer, Gus' footwork and movement will be way too much, Rumble has bad cardio also, Vitor whooped his ass.

Gustafsson's best win is Shogun lol in a fight that he won an underwhelming decision. Davis, the guy that Rumble made look like an amateur, completely outclassed Gustafsson in a round to the point in which Gustafsson didn't land a single strike

Gus outwrestled Jones and that argument holds much more weight than anything you could come up with. I give Gus the edge in wrestling because he probably will have an edge in wrestling, it doesnt really matter what you or I think about it. End of the discussion.

You don't arguably beat (and many think he did) the #1 pound-for-pound fighter on the planet if you're one-dimensional, so save that old and overused hypocrisy one-liner for another occasion.

If Rumble is one dimensional, then so is Gus.

My opinion is that neither of them are, but Gus is the one throwing stones.

Gus outwrestled Jones and that argument holds much more weight than anything you could come up with. I give Gus the edge in wrestling because he probably will have an edge in wrestling, it doesnt really matter what you or I think about it. End of the discussion.

He didn't out-wrestle Jones. Both landed a TD of their own.

You guys made Rumble some sort of God just couse he knocked out a washed up Lil Nog.

Gus got this one in the bag, TKO or Sub late 4th round.

But Gus hasn't done anything except lose. He has hype for no reason at all.
Rumble via KO or TKO.

The best that Gus can hope for is a decision win because he isn't going to do anything else. He couldn't finish million mile retirement Shogun for fucks sake.

Arlovsky dropped BOMBS on Rumble and he just kept on coming. Gus doesn't have anywhere near that kind of power. Rumble will be just fine.

My feeling is still that if Rumble has a weakness its mental toughness and cardio, as dominant as he was to me he still seemed rather nervy vs Davis, unwilling to really go for the finish. You contrast that with Gus who's shown the ability to take insane punishment.

My guess for this fight is either Rumble via early finish or Gus via decision/late finish as Rumble fades.

Gus has NEVER fought Vitor.
Vitor would smash Gus and so would Machida.
Gus just hasn't fought enough top guys so he is very unproven and his skill is questionable at best. When he has fought top guys he loses.

He didn't out-wrestle Jones. Both landed a TD of their own.

Jones himself admitted after the fight that Gus landed takedownS. Anyway, Gus threw or tripped Jones to the mat multiple times and stuffed more takedowns. It was close, but if you have to choose which one showed better wrestling Gus has the slight edge.

N his one dimention will put you to sleep Gus.

Man never seen a guy get so full of himself after a loss

Back