10 Evil Crimes Of The British Empire

To be fair, I don't think any of this stuff was "swept under the rug." Everyone knows that the Brits, the Belgians, and other colonial powers were horrific to the Africans, and divided up their land with willful disregard for tribal territories which resulted in brutal civil wars. If anyone doesn't know this, they probably flunked history or are just stupid. There's a reason the British were able to take over so much of the earth; they were ruthless beyond belief.

Its conveniently forgotten (or down played) by certain posters here when trying to draw conclusions about intelligence based on the current state of some African countries. One guy even said that America is proof that colonialism doesn't stymie a nation's development. The great atrocity that the British committed against America was trying to tax tea and that is somehow on par with concentration camps, mass murder, etc.

To be fair, I don't think any of this stuff was "swept under the rug." Everyone knows that the Brits, the Belgians, and other colonial powers were horrific to the Africans, and divided up their land with willful disregard for tribal territories which resulted in brutal civil wars. If anyone doesn't know this, they probably flunked history or are just stupid (or I guess, simply weren't taught it). There's a reason the British were able to take over so much of the earth; they were ruthless beyond belief.

Everyone fucks over Africa. Even Africans.

What I was trying to convey was that all historic empires has failed when sprung out of a nation such as the mongol, roman, brittish - hell even sweden had an empire.

They all crumbled under their own weight.

Now if that has shifted to a form where private interests are banding together to form empires under the surface, then that is a lot of deception that people are actually more and more aware of.

People will always try of course but it's debatable how far it's gone and the power these groups actually hold.

I think it's always been private interests. State power is an extension of private interest (often coinciding with public).

Pax Romanica -> Pax Britanica -> Pax Americana -> Pax Zion?

It can be viewed as a continuation just as well as a boom bust dynamic (not to say some empires don't genuinely fail). The players can see busts coming and can retain their loot and position themselves to carry on. Sometimes it can be strategic to bring about busts deliberately as well.

Creating a stable global empire is no easy thing, but there are thousands of years worth of experience incorporated into the design.

Its conveniently forgotten (or down played) by certain posters here when trying to draw conclusions about intelligence based on the current state of some African countries. One guy even said that America is proof that colonialism doesn't stymie a nation's development. The great atrocity that the British committed against America was trying to tax tea and that is somehow on par with concentration camps, mass murder, etc.

Well any poster that tries to downplay it is either delusional or stupid. Do they think colonial superpowers got all that territory by being nice?

Everyone fucks over Africa. Even Africans.

Oh for sure. If there is another continent or group of people that has been more exploited than Africa/the Africans I'd like to see it/them. I'm not saying Africa wouldn't be a violent place without outside influence, but the outside influence certainly didn't help.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...d-the-british-empire-poll-finds-a6821206.html

The Empire’s proponents say it brought economic development to parts of the world and benefited the countries it controlled.

David Cameron has previously said the Empire should be “celebrated”.

YouGov found 44 per cent were proud of Britain’s history of colonialism while only 21 per cent regretted that it happened. 23 per cent held neither view.

The same poll also asked about whether the British Empire was a good thing or a bad thing: 43 per cent said it was good, while only 19 per cent said it was bad. 25 per cent responded that it was “neither”.

data.png

Careful guys, if you start talking about the east indian trading company, bank of england, and a oppressive and extractionist foreign policy, it becomes hard not to see similar things in place today.

their intent wasnt racial genocide. It was purely economic policy, and an insanely successful one at that. The East India Trading Company was the richest corporation in world history, with its own armies and legislators. Untold amounts of wealth was transferred from the heathens to the glorious British Empire.
nice!

Bonus Points if you know what the EITC morphed into?

humans have been doing this to one another since time-immemorial. nothing to see here.
thats right they have.....and while we keep not learning from history "we're doomed to repeat it" and thats exactly what that kind of attitude of "nothing to see here, this is normal" proliferates....

Just a suggestion here, but how about, how we got here, where we are, and how we should move forward........

A conversation to instill white guilt basically because nothing is going to change. The people with power can't be stopped.

Just a suggestion here, but how about, how we got here, where we are, and how we should move forward........
We? I'm not aware that I'm accountable and guilty for atrocities committed nearly 70 years ago by people that have mostly died of old age by now. But since you asked, how about we treat everyone equally under the law, without affirmative action?

A conversation to instill white guilt basically because nothing is going to change. The people with power can't be stopped.

You seem to be lacking some history my friend. The United States is filled with stories of people organizing, and changing the course of the planet. Please search the farmers alliance, IWW, or the labor movement that built our middle class.

To quote the movie The Edge.......

"What one man can do another man can do, say it with me, what one man can do another man can do, again, what one man can do another man can do!"

Last edited:
thats right they have.....and while we keep not learning from history "we're doomed to repeat it" and thats exactly what that kind of attitude of "nothing to see here, this is normal" proliferates....

More like doomed to letting it happened for whatever reason.

I doubt anyone in this thread is about to commit a little genocide because they failed to self reflect over yesterday.

Lets not forget those millions who suffered from such an evil regime that is all too often conveniently swept under the carpet.

http://listverse.com/2014/02/04/10-evil-crimes-of-the-british-empire/
A snippet.

In the 1950s, the people of Kenya decided they wanted their nation back. Unfortunately, the people they wanted it back from just happened to be the same guys responsible for every other atrocity on this list. Fearing a countrywide rebellion, the British rounded up 1.5 million people and placed them in concentration camps. What happened in these camps will turn your stomach.

Under slogans like “labor and freedom” and other variations on ” Arbeit macht frei,” inmates were worked to death as slave labor filling in mass graves. Random executions were not-uncommon and the use of torture was widespread. Men were anally raped with knives. Women had their breasts mutilated and cut off. Eyes were gouged out and ears cut off and skin lacerated with coiled barbed wire. People were castrated with pliers then sodomized by guards. Interrogation involved stuffing a detainee’s mouth with mud and stamping on his throat until he passed out or died. Survivors were sometimes burned alive.

The official body count is under 2,000, but more reliable estimates place the total dead in the tens or hundreds of thousands. Most of them were civilians or children, detained on vague, trumped-up charges of aiding the rebels. And it was all for nothing. Kenya was declared independent in 1963. In using those camps, the British lost both their African outpost and their souls.

The Bengal Famine
10.jpg

In 1943, a deadly famine swept the Bengal region of modern East India and Bangladesh. Between one and three million people died in a tragedy that was completely preventable. At the time, the extent of suffering was put down to an incompetent British government too busy dealing with a war to look after its empire properly. But in 2010 a new book came out claiming the lack of famine relief was deliberate and that the deaths of those millions had been intentionally engineered by one man: Winston Churchill.

According to the book, Churchill refused to divert supplies away from already well-supplied British troops, saying the war effort wouldn’t allow it. This in itself wouldn’t be too damning, but at the same time he allegedly blocked American and Canadian ships from delivering aid to India either. Nor would he allow the Indians to help themselves: the colonial government forbade the country from using its own ships or currency reserves to help the starving masses. Meanwhile, London pushed up the price of grain with hugely inflated purchases, making it unaffordable for the dying and destitute. Most-chillingly of all, when the government of Delhi telegrammed to tell him people were dying, Churchill allegedly only replied to ask why Gandhi hadn’t died yet.

If all this is true—and documents support it—then Winston Churchill, the British war hero who stood up to the Nazis, may well have starved to death as many innocent people as Stalin did in the Ukrainian genocide. Could the man who held out against Hitler really be capable of such an atrocity? Judging by the rest of this list, it wouldn’t be surprising.

735446.jpg

We? I'm not aware that I'm accountable and guilty for atrocities committed nearly 70 years ago by people that have mostly died of old age by now. But since you asked, how about we treat everyone equally under the law, without affirmative action?

You inferred a awful lot from my post, that I didn't mean to infer.

It's not all about race for all of us.

Back