Law $1 million bond for rioters. Does this help, or make things worse?

That situation just sounds weird to me. How did he not just walk away? I mean, I get it. If a woman attacks me with real intention to harm, I'll defend myself.

But how do you just get beat with a shoe for ten minutes?

I have seen the video multiple times. It’s his apartment. She never lived there. They broke up and she went to get her belongings. Those items were a pair of jeans, shampoo, and something else. He waited up the street for 45 mins waiting for her to leave. She was texting him “face me you pussy” and when she wouldn’t leave, he turned his phone on and went in and told her “you have your three things now please leave.” She refused and started calling him names. He said “yes, I am a piece of shit now please leave.” When he did not give her the response she wanted, she started breaking stuff-photos, knocking over things, pulling things out of his fridge and dumping them. Then she tried to dump something on his carpet and he grabbed it out of her hand and she started hitting him. He had previously told me that she got aggressive when she was drunk and I told him to get the fuck away from her. She hit him several times with her hands and there shoe before he pulled out the camera and said “you’re on film attacking me, now leave(told her 135 times) and he opened the door. She rushed him and tried to slam the door on him. Fearing what she would do to the house, he pushed the door back open. She then turned off the lights several times to thwart the camera. I also think she planned to say that he hit her during that period. She was baiting him the whole time to get revenge. When she cornered him, he finally gave in.

Why didn’t he call the police? It’s incredibly embarrassing. These are guys he works with. He just wanted her to leave.

I don't believe it is excessive considering you have some very wealthy people bailing the rioters out. Bond is sometimes relative to the scenario.

I still think that posting $50k for a bond will drain those resources, especially when they reoffend. I just don’t want to see the 8th violated, which it appears it has. With that said, the next night the protests were that, protests and not a riot. Is it the body cam footage or the high bail that did that?

I have seen the video multiple times. It’s his apartment. She never lived there. They broke up and she went to get her belongings. Those items were a pair of jeans, shampoo, and something else. He waited up the street for 45 mins waiting for her to leave. She was texting him “face me you pussy” and when she wouldn’t leave, he turned his phone on and went in and told her “you have your three things now please leave.” She refused and started calling him names. He said “yes, I am a piece of shit now please leave.” When he did not give her the response she wanted, she started breaking stuff-photos, knocking over things, pulling things out of his fridge and dumping them. Then she tried to dump something on his carpet and he grabbed it out of her hand and she started hitting him. He had previously told me that she got aggressive when she was drunk and I told him to get the fuck away from her. She hit him several times with her hands and there shoe before he pulled out the camera and said “you’re on film attacking me, now leave(told her 135 times) and he opened the door. She rushed him and tried to slam the door on him. Fearing what she would do to the house, he pushed the door back open. She then turned off the lights several times to thwart the camera. I also think she planned to say that he hit her during that period. She was baiting him the whole time to get revenge. When she cornered him, he finally gave in.

Why didn’t he call the police? It’s incredibly embarrassing. These are guys he works with. He just wanted her to leave.

was she hot? She sounds crazy enough to be hot.

images

I'm fine with the "Up With People" cast getting their bail set so high. Is it excessive? Maybe. Does it make a much needed point? Definitely.

If you don't understand the difference between "billions of dollars damage" and "arson" I can't help you.

One is a crime one is a dollar figure. A crying can produce a dollar figure worth of damage.

Like I said arson is bad. I'll add to that, that arson is expensive. I genuinely feel very bad for all the victims of these riots. Still, to date, the United States has lost zero cities to arson.

The bond money is meant to ensure that they return for their court date and don’t just disappear. If they make their court dates they get the money back.

Fully understood, but I see no justification to let them free on bond if there are reasons to hold them, and no reason to hold them unless bond is posted if there is no reason to assume they disappear.

Yeah, that's a rough situation, no doubt. Thanks for the backstory. It makes more sense that way. I think in domestic situations like that, you kind of have to choke down your shame and call someone. Like, don't even go in the house if she's refusing to leave.

But I get the flipside too. I've mentioned it before, but when I was a teenager dating a significantly older girl (I was 16 and she was 24), I went over to break up with her and she went nuts and came at me with a knife. She stabbed me once in the arm, and slashed my other one before I just knocked her clean out. I called 911 for an ambulance, and was arrested and spent the night in jail after I got stitches. I was released the next day because she refused to press charges (which is INSANE).

Now I understand dudes who text breakups lmao.

One is a crime one is a dollar figure. A crying can produce a dollar figure worth of damage.

Like I said arson is bad. I'll add to that, that arson is expensive. I genuinely feel very bad for all the victims of these riots. Still, to date, the United States has lost zero cities to arson.

You're picking a weird hill to die on...

Lol at "gives them something to rally behind". They don't need a reason, and were rioting in the first place is over a guy running full speed with a knife over his head to stab the cop, and before that it was a rapist trying to grab a weapon, then it was some a guy who beat up 2 cops, stole their taser and tried to taser them in the face. It's pure delusion to think the rioters needed a valid reason to riot.

5 of the 8 pictured are white, so I don't know what that has to do with "valuing buildings more than black lives". They weren't killed, and personally, I'd rather have nice buildings in my town than violent, unhinged marxists. We've seen too many of these degenerates get let out with no bail or Joe Biden's campaign paid their bail, so corporations, Soros, and the Biden campaign can get their fucking checkbooks out and pony up real money if they really want these assholes back on the street so badly.

Big like. Like bigly.

Still, to date, the United States has lost zero cities to arson.

Which is due to circumstance, not by design or personal intent. Arsonists are negligent. We decry drive-by shootings and the indiscriminate harm the bullets often cause. Arson is simply a different, yet all too often, indiscriminate form of violence.

Don’t they only gotta come up with 100k? I guess it’s excessive. Maybe make it 500k so they gotta come up with 50k. And these idiots funding them will prob stop paying.

Maybe cities will stop burning down if they keep the people responsible locked up. This can only be a good thing because those scumbags do nothing positive for society.

Has there been proof of people reoffending? If so then a 1 mil bond on a second offense is warranted as long as the offense is serious in nature.

Can anyone find out how much the rioters bond was in nyc? Clara kraebber was the one dubbed “little red rioting hood” after she and a few other twats caused over 100k in damages. She is from a wealthy family and goes to a 50k/year college(rice university) which I am sure she will he ejected from.
She and her cohorts also set fires. I can’t find anything on her bond

Good.

Let hollywood spend real money bailing them out. That money can be used to repair the shit nonsense they destroyed.

Yes, the presumption of innocence is an important pillar of justice. But again, if there is a reasonable enough presumption of guilt to charge, then the question is, can that person be allowed to roam free and intimidate witnesses or destroy evidence?

And if the answer is yes (would be acceptable to have the person free until trial), then how is bond a fair system? Why even have it?

If you are found innocent, you obviously needto be paid a (standardized) compensation for time spent in jail.

I think you raise good points. What it comes down to is that being tried for a crime punishes an individual, even if they are ultimately deemed not guilty. Prosecutors in the US justice system already wield enormous power with little oversight. The ability to jail citizens for months at a time on thin charges could be easily abused.

The downside of the bail system is that sometimes criminals who should be jailed are free to wreak havoc on the populace.

It's going to be imperfect either way.

You're picking a weird hill to die on...

Honestly the wierdest part to me is that literally the way this discussion has gone is:

Other poster: Thing that didn't happen happened.

Me: Thing that didn't happen didn't happen.

Everyone else: What a jerk you are for grounding the conversation in objective reality. Can't you let us have a melodramatic sowing circle.

One is a crime one is a dollar figure.

This particular dollar figure is caused by this particular crime. Not a number of isolated incidents. Good to see you caught that.

A crying can produce a dollar figure worth of damage.

One that is of course insignificant to you. Do you see why people don't like you?

Like I said arson is bad. I'll add to that, that arson is expensive. I genuinely feel very bad for all the victims of these riots.

I doubt that. Your lack of concern for these people, and the constant excuses for the actions of the people who have done this to them would indicate otherwise.

Still, to date, the United States has lost zero cities to arson.

Note that you had to say "arson" specifically, because you couldn't say "rioting" and you knew it. Which again suggests that you don't actually have any concern for the people impacted by this rioting. Even those impacted to the point of death. Detached, sheltered, aloof liberalism like this is rot of Western Civilization, not the savior.

Which is due to circumstance, not by design or personal intent. Arsonists are negligent. We decry drive-by shootings and the indiscriminate harm the bullets often cause. Arson is simply a different, yet all too often, indiscriminate form of violence.

100% agreed. At no point did I or would I dispute that fact.

Yeah, that's a rough situation, no doubt. Thanks for the backstory. It makes more sense that way. I think in domestic situations like that, you kind of have to choke down your shame and call someone. Like, don't even go in the house if she's refusing to leave.

But I get the flipside too. I've mentioned it before, but when I was a teenager dating a significantly older girl (I was 16 and she was 24), I went over to break up with her and she went nuts and came at me with a knife. She stabbed me once in the arm, and slashed my other one before I just knocked her clean out. I called 911 for an ambulance, and was arrested and spent the night in jail after I got stitches. I was released the next day because she refused to press charges (which is INSANE).

Now I understand dudes who text breakups lmao.

That is crazy. If I respond to that call, you arrest the primary aggressor or the person that does the most damage. It would be easy to believe that you ko’d her after the stabby bitch struck first.

I had an ex get her shit when I was a freshman in college. She called her new bf from my house and I caught her and told her to get off my phone. She got pissed because now she had to explain why she was at my house. She responded by hitting me in the head with a can of cat food causing a cut above my eye. I wanted to blast her, but also wanted rid of her and her trailer trash roots would have liked that.

No I think he's being a bit of a drama queen. Again for the kids in the back of the class:

Bad things are bad, not all bad things are equally bad.

If you maintain perspective you can have an adult conversation about them.

Sure, that was a hyperbolic statement. What exactly was your point in calling it out? Other than to mitigate the billions of dollars of damage and thousands of lives irrevocably destroyed? Because you and @Rational Poster are amazingly, consistently out of touch with that aspect of the argument, and that's why you're justifiably getting torched for it.

was she hot? She sounds crazy enough to be hot.

she was ok, I guess cute enough. Not so cute that my man wasn’t still obsessed with my wife though. She was the most common discussion during rollcall

Back