Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Law $1 million bond for rioters. Does this help, or make things worse?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by nhbbear, Sep 16, 2020 at 7:20 AM.

1. lfd0311 Pink Belt

Sure, that was a hyperbolic statement. What exactly was your point in calling it out? Other than to mitigate the billions of dollars of damage and thousands of lives irrevocably destroyed? Because you and @Rational Poster are amazingly, consistently out of touch with that aspect of the argument, and that's why you're justifiably getting torched for it.

Crim, spamking and Mr Holmes like this.
  2. nhbbear Duty Belt

On the wall, pissing off the edge of the world
    she was ok, I guess cute enough. Not so cute that my man wasn’t still obsessed with my wife though. She was the most common discussion during rollcall

3. Bloody Pulp Gold Belt

go on...

4. nhbbear Duty Belt

Listen, I would be perfectly happy to see them dipped in honey and fed to badgers, but this is excessive. Again, forcing someone to come up with 50k for a 500k bond or even a 100k bond/full cash meaning they need to come up with the full amount is the same as 1 mil bond

5. nhbbear Duty Belt

well, they just thought I was fighting out of my weight class. I posted pics in the Mayberry pic thread. Most common message to me “are you ok with cucking”

6. Confucamus Last of the V8s Platinum Member

If there's a risk that protestor will be released and can burn another building down? Complaints about high bond amounts have absolutely zero value, considering the protestors have been showing the country, for months now, that they do not value life or property if they decide it's in the way of their goals.

7. Broke Lester Brown Belt

How effective is restitution in practice?

8. whaleshark Sherdog 4 Lyfe

Lebron should still be able to afford the bail money
    LebronBailBonds coming soon

9. Higus Gold Belt

effective at what?

10. nhbbear Duty Belt

I thought these fools only lit a dumpster on fire

11. Broke Lester Brown Belt

Effective at being actually paid by those who caused the damage.

12. Confucamus Last of the V8s Platinum Member

Only 7% of it was on fire.

Reyesnuthugr likes this.
  13. JDragon I like posters who don't get reported.

This is true. Imagine being jailed and tried - usually you are found guilty. But if not, and that has to be the presumption, then you will be free to go back to your old life. Only you likely have been fired in the meantime or lost your customers. And your friends, probably. So lots of things that are hard to fix with a compensation that's inevitably too low.

IngaVovchanchyn likes this.
  14. nhbbear Duty Belt

it was actually a community service. Someone asked for s’more, but the dumbasses forgot the mellows and graham crackers, though to be honest, there were plenty of crackers around there and a little chocolate

Confucamus likes this.
  15. Higus Gold Belt

Compared to incarceration? I assume much more effective.

I couldn’t find a lot of data on the subject, mostly because the US justice system is more about retributive justice rather than restorative justice. I think some studies shown that they are more often than not able to compensate the victims when practiced, but I’d have to search around for specific numbers. It's actually a really interesting topic if you want to look into it.

Broke Lester and JDragon like this.
  16. jx820 Red Belt

I don't think I've ever said that. You're just making stuff up at this point.

Aww, you're gonna hurt my feelings with that kind of harsh talk.

I don't think I've ever excused arson.
    I don't know what you mean by my lack of concern for these people. Do you have examples of what youre talking about?

This isn't a conversation about the broader subject of rioting. It's a specific subject of arson started from a comment about US cities burned down. Please try to keep up and don't move the goal posts.

but on the subject of rioting, zero US cities have been lost to rioting.

You keep getting into these weird vague spaces but I think "impacted to the point of death" means people murdered during the riots. Are you looking for some kind of line item breakdown.
    • I'm glad David Dorn's murderer appears to have been captured (Stephan Cannon was charged but not convicted).
    • I wish the police didn't shoot David McAtee.
    • Chris Beaty was particularly tragic since it seems like he was trying to stop a mugging.
    • I'm glad Dorian Murrell's shooter was captured.
    I don't think I've ever said anything different than the above.

17. lfd0311 Pink Belt

The tone of your posts and the things you feel it's important to point out indicate that.

Big Mad

Arson is bad, but it's just arson after all guys. It's not like lives are impacted forever or anything, guys. That's the tone I'm talking about.

No, we were talking about rioting, that's what @thehighking was talking about. He was not talking about random arson. This is yet another example of the tone and inaccurate framing that you are once again guilty of. It's not arson. It's looting and pillaging on a grand scale.

Exhibit # 1000 of exactly what I'm talking about. Gee guy. What a great point.

Just trying to stop a random mugging, right? Just some random, unrelated street crime.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/06/08/14-days-of-protests-19-dead/#5e29dd304de4

And this was just June.

18. lfd0311 Pink Belt

Please flesh this argument out into a cohesive thought please. Nobody who posts this careless, stupid argument can ever do it.

19. Higus Gold Belt

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. I'll make it as simple as possible.

Imagine Billy and his little brother Tommy get in an argument. Billy breaks Tommy's toy truck, so his mama puts him in timeout for 10 minutes. Later, Tommy slits Billy's throat, so his mama puts him on timeout for 10 minutes.
    See the issue?

20. Broke Lester Brown Belt

That's the thing, in practice, I don't think the victims are being compensated. I'm not positive, but I don't think you can be incarcerated for not being able to pay or refusing to pay, unless it's the government that you are refusing to pay. Hope that the offender has something of value to place a lien on and collect whenever is the best one can do.