Law $1 million bond for rioters. Does this help, or make things worse?

Bond is a stupid concept. Either there is no reason to lock someone up (e.g. no flight risk, no risk of tampering with witnesses or evidence, no risk of continued crime). Then they should be free until the trial.

Or there is a reason to lock them up, then why allow them out for depositing money?

Seems like an arbitrary government extortion scam that only benefits the wealthy.

What percentage of Americans have that kind of money lying around?

People shouldnt be in jail until convicted of a crime.

Reeks of class descrimination.

You guys use this hyperbolic language about everything it's hard to take you seriously.

Cities did not burn to the ground. Period.

Some buildings and structures were damaged in a few cities. Not entire cities.

sure and hitler didn’t kill all the Jews, just some, right?

this is next level mental gymnastics right here

1st deny things are happening

then when there’s clear evidence and you can’t deny anymore, go with

“well it’s just some, no biggie”

It’s pretty obvious you can’t get a rational argument from irrational ppl

Feel free to post a source confirming the protesters arrested in Lancaster resulted in someone dying in a fire.

That isn't what he said at all. For someone who supposedly spends all of their time making money day trading you sure do miss the simple shit.

sure and hitler didn’t kill all the Jews, just some, right?

this is next level mental gymnastics right here

1st deny things are happening

then when there’s clear evidence and you can’t deny anymore, go with

“well it’s just some, no biggie”

It’s pretty obvious you can’t get a rational argument from irrational ppl

Nah, you just look and sound fucking dumb.

That isn't what he said at all. For someone who supposedly spends all of their time making money day trading you sure do miss the simple shit.
Again, feel free to post anything lol. Do I know you?

I don't know their financial situation, but again, the purpose of bail is to incentivize defendants to return to court, not keep them in jail. If the judge wanted to remand custody, it was within his discretion to deny bail. And another again, excessive bail is illegal pretty much everywhere. Bails set at 7 figures are almost exclusively reserved for wealthy defendants.

I get that you don't think they should be on the streets before their trial, and that's a fine opinion for you to hold. But it's not the way the law works, it's not the way bail is intended to be utilized, and you should blame the judge for the overreach of power instead of simply denying bail, which is, again, at his or her discretion.

I think denying bail would probably have been a better approach for some of the more heinous incidents . . .

I think denying bail would probably have been a better approach for some of the more heinous incidents . . .

It's perfectly valid if the judge makes that decision based on the information given to him or her.

Seems like an arbitrary government extortion scam that only benefits the wealthy.

What percentage of Americans have that kind of money lying around?

People shouldnt be in jail until convicted of a crime.

Reeks of class descrimination.
So if someone kills or represent, they should be free t go for up to a year? Because bonds are bad um kay

So if someone kills or represent, they should be free t go for up to a year? Because bonds are bad um kay

No. A determination should be made about whether or not they are a flight risk. They should either be remanded or released until trial, but not conditionally released dependent on whether or not they have tens of thousands of dollars they can lend to the court.

The bond ensures they stay in jail until court. there they can learn what racism really is and how it permeates all nationalities and creeds inside the prison system.

Back