Law $1 million bond for rioters. Does this help, or make things worse?

Oh no, I got what you said. You also realize that you compared billions of dollars worth of property damage in the middle of the worst economic disaster in our nation's history to a broken toy that could easily be replaced, right? Like you get that part and why it's stupid, and people correctly see it as mindless virtue signalling.
Billions of dollars? How much did the police station cost?

Honestly the wierdest part to me is that literally the way this discussion has gone is:

Other poster: Thing that didn't happen happened.

Me: Thing that didn't happen didn't happen.

Everyone else: What a jerk you are for grounding the conversation in objective reality. Can't you let us have a melodramatic sowing circle.

<JagsKiddingMe>

Kenosha

c3f34db5-AM1.jpeg

5f43ead031dae.image.jpg

img-0771.JPG

liberals will say its justified because they have insurance

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. I'll make it as simple as possible.

Imagine Billy and his little brother Tommy get in an argument. Billy breaks Tommy's toy truck, so his mama puts him in timeout for 10 minutes. Later, Tommy slits Billy's throat, so his mama puts him on timeout for 10 minutes.
See the issue?

Yep. Tommy is a little terror.

LOL, legit retarded comeback.
You're the one that made the comparison. The analogy is comparing the Lancaster arrests to the Chauvin and Rittenhouse arrests. If you want to pull a switcheroo and scale it up to the damages from all riots, you'd have to scale up all the deaths that created the tensions in the first place.

Sounds good, should get upgraded to 3 million just for teh lulz

The rioter terrorists should be given to the good people of the neighbourhoods they burned and looted and let them do as they want with them

Attaboy Lancaster, that's my city. Start locking these scumbags up, slap a felony or 2 on their record, and see how that works out for 'em. Hopefully, they lose their job (assuming they had one), and the rest of their life is miserable. Actions have consequences.

This is dangerous. Bond is not supposed to be a punishment. The more people weaponize shit that’s not supposed to be a weapon, the more we’re going to see weapons pointing at everyone.

This is a good step. Now prosecute them to the full extent of the law and lock them away with the longest sentence possible.

You're the one that made the comparison. The analogy is comparing the Lancaster arrests to the Chauvin and Rittenhouse arrests. If you want to pull a switcheroo and scale it up to the damages from all riots, you'd have to scale up all the deaths that created the tensions in the first place.

No it's not. You just suddenly made it about those two things because you finally came around to the fact that you've been making a stupid argument all this time and are now trying to protect yourself from it. It's so painfully typical of you people.

If you want to pull a switcheroo and scale it up to the damages from all riots, you'd have to scale up all the deaths that created the tensions in the first place

Even if you were to try and "scale up" the numbers as you put it, your numbers would still be painfully low. Because you fell for manufactured narrative.

So, the rioters that were caught in Lancaster, PA, were charged with rioting, arson, and multiple other charges. When I first read that their bond was set at one mil, I laughed and thought “fuck em” but then it occurred to me that this may have just given these assholes’ supporters a reason to further protest and shift the issue. 1 million is an excessive bond, imo. Almost as ridiculous as giving them fucking recog as they due out west.

It was pointed out that this was the same amount that was given to Derek Chauvin for “killing” Floyd, which is a bond that I thought was excessive. Kyle Rittenhouse was on no bond and then on 2 million bond.

The purpose is bond is two fold. One to guarantee that the individual shows up for court. The more of a flight risk the person, the higher the bond. Second, to protect the community from the subject on bond. Chauvin and Rittenhouse have very limited means to disappear and even though their charges are murder, they are not career criminals and neither of their “crimes” were in malice at all. So to simply think they would reoffend is kind of ridiculous. Their bond was high for political and social outcry reasons. I see similar reasons for setting such a high bond for the rioters. Communities are pissed that these assholes are destroying stuff, not just in their communities, but most people are absolutely sick of seeing these turds run amok. So does a high bond deter future destruction, or does it piss people off and stir up the hive? Is it unconstitutional?

Here is a list of a few good and bad things for setting such a high bond.

Good things:
1. Protects the community from these assholes destroying stuff and lighting fires.
2. Sends a message to would be rioters they they will not be out in a few hours on a 1 k bond.
3. Shows that the matter is being taken seriously versus communities that have decided not to prosecute.
4. Fuck these turds.

Bad things:
1. It’s likely a violation of their eighth amendment guarantee against excessive bond
2. It gives the protesters something to rally behind with claims that it is a slap at fighting racial injustice.
3. In relation to #2, this is likely to be seen as caring more for buildings than black life as witnessed by Chauvin’s bond.
4. This will bring in celebs and groups like aclu to legitimize their crimes

https://nypost.com/2020/09/15/lancaster-protesters-held-on-1-million-bail-after-alleged-riots/

they should be forced to pay financial restitution....don't give them a day in jail but dock their pay until it is paid in full

Great. Back on the street to continue open insurrection. What a great day for America.

Bail is not meant to be punitive and excessive bail is forbidden both federally and by most states. The judge that set this bail could face legal recourse.

If you believe the accused is a flight risk or a continued risk to the community, the judge has the discretion to deny bail altogether. That didn't happen.

Bail is not meant to be punitive and excessive bail is forbidden both federally and by most states. The judge that set this bail could face legal recourse.

If you believe the accused is a flight risk or a continued risk to the community, the judge has the discretion to deny bail altogether. That didn't happen.

What is the purpose of bail?

What is the purpose of bail?

The purpose of bail is to help ensure that someone released had incentive to return for their court date. Bail money is refunded at the end of the trial, whether or not you are found guilty. Bail is not a fee nor a punitive measure. You pay it, go to court, and get your money back.

Excessive or unrealistic bail amounts are, again, illegal in most states and federally. I doubt these protesters are millionaires, and therefore it is excessive in that it guarantees no release.

Back