Law $1 million bond for rioters. Does this help, or make things worse?

The purpose of bail is to help ensure that someone released had incentive to return for their court date. Bail money is refunded at the end of the trial, whether or not you are found guilty. Bail is not a fee nor a punitive measure. You pay it, go to court, and get your money back.

Excessive or unrealistic bail amounts are, again, illegal in most states and federally. I doubt these protesters are millionaires, and therefore it is excessive in that it guarantees no release.

How much of your bail do you have to pay to be bonded out?

How much of your bail do you have to pay to be bonded out?

Well, the full bail must be paid. But you can use a bond agent. They will typically charge 5-10% of the bail money (so anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 in these cases) and post the bail themselves. In return, the bond agency collects the refunded bail. So if bail is set at a million dollars, and you pay the bondsman 50,000 and show up to your court date, he makes a million bucks. Plus the 50k you paid him.

Judges don't set bail based on potential bond amounts, though.

Well, the full bail must be paid. But you can use a bond agent. They will typically charge 5-10% of the bail money (so anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 in these cases) and post the bail themselves.In return, the bond agency collects the refunded bail. So if bail is set at a million dollars, and you pay the bondsman 50,000 and show up to your court date, he makes a million bucks. Plus the 50k you paid him.

Judges don't set bail based on potential bond amounts, though.

It's 10%. 10% is what you have to pay. 100,000 dollars is the bail amount. Given the crimes these people are accused of, that is far from unreasonable, and there is no reason any of them should be walking around the streets at any time in the near future.

Millions of acres on the West coast are going up in flames as we speak thanks to BLM leftist scum! :mad: :mad: :mad:

This point has already been thoroughly roasted. Read through the thread and just attach yourself to the roasting for yet again being a dumbass.

It's 10%. 10% is what you have to pay. 100,000 dollars is the bail amount. Given the crimes these people are accused of, that is far from unreasonable, and there is no reason any of them should be walking around the streets at any time in the near future.

I don't know their financial situation, but again, the purpose of bail is to incentivize defendants to return to court, not keep them in jail. If the judge wanted to remand custody, it was within his discretion to deny bail. And another again, excessive bail is illegal pretty much everywhere. Bails set at 7 figures are almost exclusively reserved for wealthy defendants.

I get that you don't think they should be on the streets before their trial, and that's a fine opinion for you to hold. But it's not the way the law works, it's not the way bail is intended to be utilized, and you should blame the judge for the overreach of power instead of simply denying bail, which is, again, at his or her discretion.

The purpose of bail is to help ensure that someone released had incentive to return for their court date. Bail money is refunded at the end of the trial, whether or not you are found guilty. Bail is not a fee nor a punitive measure. You pay it, go to court, and get your money back.

Excessive or unrealistic bail amounts are, again, illegal in most states and federally. I doubt these protesters are millionaires, and therefore it is excessive in that it guarantees no release.

The judge takes into account the full picture when setting bail. These people are part of a large anarchist cell with numerous, massive funds set up to bail people out, and these members have a nationwide network dedicated to hiding fugitives. So the bail has to be an amount that will actually guarantee the fund bailing them out will make an effort to force them to return for court, and not go into hiding 3 states away.

Its similar to if you were arresting some middle-management Mafia guys, and the mob boss is openly bragging about how he will just bond them out and they'll go into hiding. A judge hearing about that would probably raise their bond.

The judge takes into account the full picture when setting bail. These people are part of a large anarchist cell with numerous, massive funds set up to bail people out, and these members have a nationwide network dedicated to hiding fugitives. So the bail has to be an amount that will actually guarantee the fund bailing them out will make an effort to force them to return for court, and not go into hiding 3 states away.

Its similar to if you were arresting some middle-management Mafia guys, and the mob boss is openly bragging about how he will just bond them out and they'll go into hiding. A judge hearing about that would probably raise their bond.

Maybe that had a consideration in the bail judgment, but the fact that it got reduced a whopping 95% probably had something to do with the excessive amount originally set.

I don't know their financial situation, but again, the purpose of bail is to incentivize defendants to return to court, not keep them in jail. If the judge wanted to remand custody, it was within his discretion to deny bail. And another again, excessive bail is illegal pretty much everywhere. Bails set at 7 figures are almost exclusively reserved for wealthy defendants.

A person's ability to pay is and should be irrelevant. Don't be running the streets carrying firearms illegally and setting fires if you don't want to sit in jail. Many times the best way to make a person appear for court is to set a bail that they can't pay. That doesn't make it "excessive". This idea that you are entitled to committing violent felonies and getting out the next day is a major problem in our society. The idea of "excessive bail" is bail in which it appears the State is trying to profit from the bail. IF you can't pay, don't commit crimes.

I get that you don't think they should be on the streets before their trial, and that's a fine opinion for you to hold. But it's not the way the law works, it's not the way bail is intended to be utilized, and you should blame the judge for the overreach of power instead of simply denying bail, which is, again, at his or her discretion.

It's not the way many on the left have revised bail in their minds to work, because they have have convinced themselves that it unfairly targets minorities.

A person's ability to pay is and should be irrelevant. Don't be running the streets carrying firearms illegally and setting fires if you don't want to sit in jail. Many times the best way to make a person appear for court is to set a bail that they can't pay. That doesn't make it "excessive". This idea that you are entitled to committing violent felonies and getting out the next day is a major problem in our society. The idea of "excessive bail" is bail in which it appears the State is trying to profit from the bail. IF you can't pay, don't commit crimes.

What? I've mentioned numerous times that bail isn't meant to be punitive. If the judge wants to keep a defendant in jail, they have the right to deny bail. I don't know how many times I have to say this.

And the only way the state "profits" off of bail is if someone skips their court date. Then they keep the bail money, put out a warrant, and the failure-to-appear will come with steeper fines and even more jail time.

It's not the way many on the left have revised bail in their minds to work, because they have have convinced themselves that it unfairly targets minorities.

I'm not studied up on how bail may or may not disproportionately impact minority communities, so I really have no opinion here.

Anyway, your mind is made up. That's cool. Peace.

What? I've mentioned numerous times that bail isn't meant to be punitive. If the judge wants to keep a defendant in jail, they have the right to deny bail. I don't know how many times I have to say this.

It's not punitive. It's a method of control. That's the purpose. The Judge's job is to ensure you show up to court. Be that because you sit in jail waiting to pay your bond, or simply have it remanded is at the discretion of the judge. The purpose is to make sure you show up. It isn't designed to be so low that you set fire to police station while illegally armed and then just go on your merry way a few hours later. That's what Leftists don't understand.

And the only way the state "profits" off of bail is if someone skips their court date. Then they keep the bail money, put out a warrant, and the failure-to-appear will come with steeper fines and even more jail time.

Which happens more often than not. That's actually the likelier of the two outcomes. Most people skip bail. That's why bail has been set so high. Because the point is to get you to show up to court. The purpose is not designed as a blank check for committing crimes. This should not be confusing.

they should be forced to pay financial restitution....don't give them a day in jail but dock their pay until it is paid in full

Some of these assholes
Don’t have jobs. It’s an issue with crime in general. Shitbags don’t have jobs, steal from people or attack them, are ordered to pay restitution and can’t, so they don’t pay anything and are ordered to jail for a couple days.

now that the protests are peaceful I guess it’s not such a big deal now. I would have liked to see it higher than 50, but that is still a decent bond when the average bond I used to see was $2500 for domestic battery

Some of these assholes
Don’t have jobs. It’s an issue with crime in general. Shitbags don’t have jobs, steal from people or attack them, are ordered to pay restitution and can’t, so they don’t pay anything and are ordered to jail for a couple days.

make them sell that bootyhole then...

The rioter terrorists should be given to the good people of the neighbourhoods they burned and looted and let them do as they want with them

Except they are lambs or sheep who would not do anything if given the chance. I would like a little time with them, though. The people threatening diners as well. They perfectly pick their targets and come in vastly superior numbers, but I am not putting that fist up unless it has the middle finger extended and I Would keep eating like they weren’t there. When they would escalate, and they would-probably send a loud ass female, I am still sitting there until they cross that line. Then you would see a viral video of some loud ass bitch getting smacked. I know I would get my ass beat, but I am hurting a few of them.

make them sell that bootyhole then...

as fun as that would be to see them have to do that, the system favors the criminals over the victims because as they say, you can’t squeeze blood out of a stone. Corporal punishment would be an option-PPV to watch and the money goes to the victims.

again, I would be more than happy to watch these shitheels rot in prison, but a high bond that is usually reserved for murderers helps their cause, not the people who oppose the rioting and looting. Sure, they may cheer at the notion, hell I did, but then the other stuff set in. I then found articles detailing just that. This will be a rally cry for equal justice. Why? Because a few of the million dollar bond club are black, and that is all it takes to justify their outrage. It doesn’t matter that the whites people got the same bond, or that one douche had a gun......but but guns are dangerous in the hands of the right, it matters that they can whip this into a “this is against those speaking out against racial inequality”

I hear you and for a moment I was on the edge with this one, after all these amounts are exceptionally high. After some consideration I decided that it's a deterrent, and it should be sold as such. Of course these measures are 'racism' to the BLM/Antifa folks but mob rule doesn't apply, therefore nobody in the power should listen to them. Let them cry.
If any AG or DA goes public and states that any rioting, looting or destruction of federal property (not even getting into personnel) will be seen as organised conspiracy against the state and that the perpetrators will face not only high bail but stricter punishment, they will understand not to do it. I think that as long as there's 'room' to start wrecking shit the rioters will do so. The more lenient the authorities are the more the brave the rioters will get.(Portland, Chicago)
There hasn't been very strong suppressive measures until now and even normal people (who might have had sympathy for the BLM before they started to get exposed) start to understand what's up. Maybe next the corporations.

I hear you and for a moment I was on the edge with this one, after all these amounts are exceptionally high. After some consideration I decided that it's a deterrent, and it should be sold as such. Of course these measures are 'racism' to the BLM/Antifa folks but mob rule doesn't apply, therefore nobody in the power should listen to them. Let them cry.
If any AG or DA goes public and states that any rioting, looting or destruction of federal property (not even getting into personnel) will be seen as organised conspiracy against the state and that the perpetrators will face not only high bail but stricter punishment, they will understand not to do it. I think that as long as there's 'room' to start wrecking shit the rioters will do so. The more lenient the authorities are the more the brave the rioters will get.(Portland, Chicago)
There hasn't been very strong suppressive measures until now and even normal people (who might have had sympathy for the BLM before they started to get exposed) start to understand what's up. Maybe next the corporations.

I still think, even with the high bonds, that the rioters and looters have the mentality of large herds of wilderbeasts crossing a croc infested river. They think they can hide in the crowd and slide by unnoticed. And most of the time, they do. That’s why all these fucks were the same thing so it is harder to pick them out of the crowd. When I was po po, all the thugs wore the same things. Two shirts, the outer one being white. If they did something, like rob someone or shoot someone, they run and take off the outer shirt. I have been on calls where you find several white shirts near the scene after the turds scattered like roaches. One case, after four guys brutally beat and slammed a weak guy on his head causing a skull fracture, we found a shirt with the dumb bastards initials on the back of the neck collar. We knew who it was anyway because we always took note of which corner boys were out and there was surveillance video of the incident as well.

I still think, even with the high bonds, that the rioters and looters have the mentality of large herds of wilderbeasts crossing a croc infested river. They think they can hide in the crowd and slide by unnoticed. And most of the time, they do. That’s why all these fucks were the same thing so it is harder to pick them out of the crowd. When I was po po, all the thugs wore the same things. Two shirts, the outer one being white. If they did something, like rob someone or shoot someone, they run and take off the outer shirt. I have been on calls where you find several white shirts near the scene after the turds scattered like roaches. One case, after four guys brutally beat and slammed a weak guy on his head causing a skull fracture, we found a shirt with the dumb bastards initials on the back of the neck collar. We knew who it was anyway because we always took note of which corner boys were out and there was surveillance video of the incident as well.

I hear you man :
I don't have the same first hand experience as you do so I'm weighing this one purely by observing how the protests turn into riots, how there's a vacuum in the response measures and how the situation spreads and escalates due to the obvious lack of control.

Funny enough : https://apnews.com/cbca8672a70f9f170a086a7a252a751e

If the rioting remains organized, the federal government starts bringing down the hammer and bypass the local politicians who shelter the rioters, they simply have to in order to cut the shit.
This will throw a lot of people in jail but getting away with unlawful behaviour can't become the new norm.
So risking a backlash from a handful of anarchists in the face of stabilizing the situation is probably OK assuming that there are counter-measures to suppress the crap..?

I hear you man :
I don't have the same first hand experience as you do so I'm weighing this one purely by observing how the protests turn into riots, how there's a vacuum in the response measures and how the situation spreads and escalates due to the obvious lack of control.

Funny enough : https://apnews.com/cbca8672a70f9f170a086a7a252a751e

If the rioting remains organized, the federal government starts bringing down the hammer and bypass the local politicians who shelter the rioters, they simply have to in order to cut the shit.
This will throw a lot of people in jail but getting away with unlawful behaviour can't become the new norm.
So risking a backlash from a handful of anarchists in the face of stabilizing the situation is probably OK assuming that there are counter-measures to suppress the crap..?

I am glad that they are bringing fed charges against these scum. I also like that Lancaster took the initiative to actually have the balls to go after them. Hopefully their prosecutors are not swayed by the protests like the prosecutors out west

I am glad that they are bringing fed charges against these scum. I also like that Lancaster took the initiative to actually have the balls to go after them. Hopefully their prosecutors are not swayed by the protests like the prosecutors out west

Exactly, this can be a turning point. Let's see if the lines holds!

Back